Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how much to straighten frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much to straighten frame?

Hey guys, I just bought a shell off of ebay. The seller never mentioned the twisted frame in the back. It is very noticeable when looking at the trunk/ hatch. There is the stock size gap between the fender and the trunk on the driver side, and as you go closer to the front (along that same gap) the gap increases. On the passenger side, The gap is twice the stock size. I've been told that is only a cosmetic issue and it will not affect driveability. I bought this car with the intentions of building a 700+ rwhp street/strip car. I need to know whether this is something i can put off or will i need to get this done immediately. And how much will i be looking to spend to straighten the frame that little bit. Thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

LT1TA,

This can be a very labor intensive project and mostly depending on the amount of twist in the frame.

Are you close to the DFW area by chance?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no, i'm in GA. I hope it's not too much twist. I had my mechanic look at the car when I bought it. He shook it off like it wasn't too much work. What's intensive to you?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any other opinions? really worried now lol
Old 07-25-2009, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Most body shops will charge 1.5-2 hrs to setup the car on the frame machine and measure it. Depending on what is damaged (the rear frame rails, rear body panel, quarter panels) the shop will need to clamp the car to the frame machine, and then pull the structural areas that are damaged. Typically that will be anywhere from 3-6 hrs per area depending on severely its crumpled. Frame rate typically (at least in Socal) range from 60-90 p/hr depending on the shop of course. The body shop will also need to do some hammer/dolly work as they pull the damaged panels back to the correct location and refinish them. Seam sealer, weld thru primer, and other materials will probably be needed as well.

Post up some pics, Im an insurance adjuster and know this stuff very well. I write estimates on anywhere from 4-8 cars every day, 5 days a week.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, that sounds like it's going to be a lot. I only have pics showing the gap between the spoiler and fenders. I have no underbody pics or anything. What areas would you need to see to make a good assessment?
Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what i should ask is, will this issue affect the straightline launch of the vehicle? will excessive torque make the issue worse? Can I continue my build and get the tranny and engine setup and still get the frame fixed later? or will there be more labor involved if engine.transmission is installed.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I would need to see pics underneath the car, of the frame rails themselves and the rear floor. If the frame is repaired properly and the shop measures it out before and after with a tram gauge, then there should be no problems with racing the car.

Personally, I would address the frame stuff first as that is a safety concern, regardless if you are racing the car, building the motor or whatever. It doesn't matter if the engine/tranny is out of the car.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, thanks i'm going to be away from the car for a while. (week or so). i'll try to get some pics up asap
Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

It should not be much, but then again there going to charge you labor on the hour, which I think is BS because its a machine that is doing it. it probaby run you a few hundred dollars.

Quick Reply: how much to straighten frame?