Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How To Paint This, Bubbling Bumper...(Pic's Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Paint This, Bubbling Bumper...(Pic's Inside)

guys a little background first. I bought this car in the spring of 08 and it had a raised bubble on the back bumper, where the paint was coming off. Not a big deal, it wasn't huge and there were no cracks. While a year and a half later it has turned to some pretty good bubbling.

I got a quote to do it and they said 500 for the whole bumper which is a bit out of my range. I was wondering how i can fix this. I'm not look for show quality but damn anything is better then this, I won't be doing the whole bumper just doing a patch job cause down the road (2 years) everything is getting painted

So i'm wondering what steps i need to take to fix this problem. I know i need to peel/pick away the bubble. I was thinking of going to NAPA to get the primer and paint. But i'm not sure what exactly to get?? I'm a decent painter and very patient, but i am a newb. Just not sure how to go about this.

Please help paint guru's

Sun makes it worse then it is...

Last edited by GOR1LA; 09-20-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:07 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

looks like you need a new bumper, a body man can fill it and repaint it, but road vibrations will make the cracks come back and the bubbling.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Launching!

its just the paint though? I have to get a new bumper b/c i can't repaint it? Its not cracked it just the paint thats coming off.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Start by sanding the area with 220 grit paper. sand down past all of the cracks and bubbling. See if there has been a plastic repair done there. Looks like there has been. If it has then all the repair needs to be ground out and redone properly. If no repair has been done, then you should be able to prime and paint. Can't do anything until you know for sure what is under there.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Launching!

thanks if it has been repaired what do i do to repair it? any kinda kits out there??
Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you gta repair it, get a new bumper. find one off a car that was totalled from the front or sides. like said before vibrations will eventually do that again.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Well guys i'm thinking this will work. If its been repaired so be it. I need to fix this. Even if the color is excate and you can tell I've done it. Again its not a show car just want to get it close. So this is what i'm thinking. What you guys think?

1) Remove the OEM paint on the bumper, (what grit sandpaper?)
2) Adhesion Promoter (Not sure if i can skip this and go straight to Primer?)
3) Primer (what kind?? something with flex additive?? Wait period for drying before next step, how many coats?)
4) Paint (hoping NAPA can match it close, again wait period before next step how many coats?)
5) Clear coat (Any special kind??)
6) Wet sand with 1500-2000 grit
7) Rubbing compound
8) Wax in about a month
Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Launching!

so nothing else guys?? i'm doing it this weekend so if you guys have anything to add please let me know
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
so nothing else guys?? i'm doing it this weekend so if you guys have anything to add please let me know
if you want to do it right take a air hose with about 110 psi with a air blower.blow as much of the paint off as you can,just start were the crack is with the blower,then sand with some 180 on the paint that didn't come off but with a DA sander you need to get all the paint off,then sand with 600 or 800 on the bear bumper,with that done you need to spray some PLASTIC ADHESION PRIMER part number in u-tech is (pap 722) spray the hole bumper one good coat then the black base and clear.if it was me I wound take the bumper off the car also to do this it wound make it alot easier good luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

New bumper Trust me.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
Well guys i'm thinking this will work. If its been repaired so be it. I need to fix this. Even if the color is excate and you can tell I've done it. Again its not a show car just want to get it close. So this is what i'm thinking. What you guys think?

1) Remove the OEM paint on the bumper, (what grit sandpaper?)
2) Adhesion Promoter (Not sure if i can skip this and go straight to Primer?)
3) Primer (what kind?? something with flex additive?? Wait period for drying before next step, how many coats?)
4) Paint (hoping NAPA can match it close, again wait period before next step how many coats?)
5) Clear coat (Any special kind??)
6) Wet sand with 1500-2000 grit
7) Rubbing compound
8) Wax in about a month
Everyone is going to tell you to do it differently. If the bumper is structurally compromised then no amount of paint work will cure it 100%. But at least it looks like you already know that. To me it looks like you've been hit before. Nothing big, but a parking lot bump can cause that if it initially cracked the paint.

If I were taking on this project this is how I'd do it:
1) Remove the OEM paint on the bumper, (what grit sandpaper?) - Some 220 on a DA Sander will cut it down quick. Just don't hold it in one place too long and cook it. Once it's all gone do a once over with 360 grit on a DA. You'll get better paint results.

2) Adhesion Promoter (Not sure if i can skip this and go straight to Primer?) - I'd definitely use some. Being the bumper is flexible you want the paint to be flexible also. Find a good name brand one and I'm sure you'll be fine (Duplicolor, 3M, etc)

3) Primer (what kind?? something with flex additive?? Wait period for drying before next step, how many coats?)- Duplicolor sandable Primer if you plan to rattle-can it. 3-5 coats until you get full coverage. Then Lightly sand with something around 360 grit by hand. Wait 10 minutes in between coats. Then wait 30 minutes before color.

4) Paint (hoping NAPA can match it close, again wait period before next step how many coats?) - Same as primer if rattle-canning. 3-5 coats until you get full coverage. Wait 10 minutes between coats. DON'T SAND IT!! You'll ruin the finish.

5) Clear coat (Any special kind??) - Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer Clear. 3 coats if you don't plan to wet sand. 5-7 coats if you do. 10 minutes between coats. After 30 minutes put the car in the sun if you can. It will speed up the curing process. If not leave it be in a clean environment for 24 hours to let the clear fully cure.

6) Wet sand with 1500-2000 grit. - Yup. Big bowl of warm water and a drop of Dish Soap. Wait until the day after you clear to wetsand.

7) Rubbing compound - Yup, start with coarse cut, then medium cut, then fine cut. 2 passes with each. Time consuming, but the results are phenomenal. I recommend 3M rubbing compound on a buffer if you have one. By had is fine, but takes a LONG TIME. lol

8) Wax in about a month - Sounds about right.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: How To Paint This, Bubbling Bumper...(Pic's Inside)