Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How much Paint and materials do i need.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Paint and materials do i need.

Im lookin to paint my 95 Ta Myself..... i was wondering about how many quarts of Paint, Clear and primer(if needed) i would need to have a good paint job on my car. I was also thinking of painting some stipes on it so would that be about 1 one quart???
Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95TransAm_ToM
Im lookin to paint my 95 Ta Myself..... i was wondering about how many quarts of Paint, Clear and primer(if needed) i would need to have a good paint job on my car. I was also thinking of painting some stipes on it so would that be about 1 one quart???
Depends what kind of paint job you want??? Base Coat / Clear Coat if your staying with the same color, you can get away with (1) Qt of color and a Gal of base maker and I would get a gal of clear, (also hardner) They say you don't need more then 2 to 3 coats of clear ....but I like 5 coat so if you have any dirt you can wet sand and buff with out worrying about braking thru the clear
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Launching!

thanks... i found a website called automotivetouchup.com..... i priced 4 qts of red base, 1 qt of black base (for stripes), and 4 qts of clear w/ hardener, all ready to spray for $545 is that a decent price?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SHEW What name brand is the paint?

1 gal red, 1 gal clear, 1 qt black gallon is usually around $100 so you should be under 300 even with the hardener for the urethane coats and sand paper. 180, 320, 600, 2000 wet paper

You can prolly paint the car with 2 quarts or less of base and one quart of clear.

What type of gun do you have?

You should get a primer too. You will need it to paint over any bondo, fiberglass, raw steel or plastic. Its more to it than just sand and spray. When You start sanding you will wanna fix alot of imperfections you didnt see in the first place.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the cost you got is cheap for material, brand name doesnt matter, across the board material is expensive, doesnt matter if ppg or spies hecker all expensive

the amount of material needed is going to depend on the color your spraying, if your painting black, do you use a white sealer?? nope!! you use black sealer and apply until covered, which i like 3-4 coats, which is the average, some brands are a bit thinner and takes more to cover

if you spray red...do you use black sealer?? nope you use grey, the color of selaer is critical for the color of base coat going over, ^^see above typed out response^^

the person who is putting 5 coats of clear on why??, 4 coats is pushing your luck, todays material is a high soild product no need for 5 coats, your running into problem like solvent pop, plus you can apply 3 coats, and if your a good painter 3 coats can and will come out like glass, so all ya gotta do is a light cut and buff

the spray gun has allot to do with it too, air pressure, fan patteren, the guy behind the gun, for todays high solid material using 1.3 air cap and up anything below 1.3 is a waste, due to the correct atomization of the high solid product 1.3 and higher is correct

there is so much more i can type out, but kinda need a bit more info to proceed
Old 01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Well thanks for the Info, I am Painting my car Bright Red(8774) with black stripes i was just trying to get a rough idea of the amount of paint, primer and clear i should purchase, im not too worried about the tape, sand paper, and little things like buffing i can get that. I just dont want to buy way too much or way too little and about the cost of the paint Whats good paint and what paint should i say away from. I live in Connecticut so they put a bunch of salt and sand on the roads which make my paint chip very easily, is there a durable paint out there?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Where in CT are you?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Well ill be in CT in March im working on gettin discharged from the marines, Im in hawaii right now but live in Danielson about 20 mins north or Norwich
Old 01-16-2010, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I used two quarts of color which painted both sides of my hood, a nitrous bottle, a helmet, and an RS ground effects kit. Used a gallon of clear for all these parts. 3 coats.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Im on the Ma,CT line about 10 miles from you. Let me know when your home & I will hook you with a great price on paint,clear & whatever else you need...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be fine with just two coats of clear. be sure to use a flex additive on your plastic parts, it will help prevent rock chips. depending on what red you plan on using you may need more than if you were to paint it a different color, red tends to have **** coverage.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy crap what kinda paint are you guys using, that's cheap! And 5 coats of clear because you're worried about sanding through, what in the hell? Are you wetsanding the dirt with 320 or painting in a barn or something?

Quick Reply: How much Paint and materials do i need.