Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

help with the hole left over from the antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with the hole left over from the antenna?

Hey every one
When I get home in a few weeks I'm going to be replacing my stock antenna with a hidden one, but I have to finish paying for my wedding before i will have the cash to get it properly filled and painted.....I was wondering if any one has used a rubber stopper to temporally plug the hole and if you have where did you get it and what size......or if there was some one that currently has their antenna out could measure the size of the opening so I can find and order one so its ready when I get home. thanks guys

And in case there is a difference between the F-bodys I have a 02 Z28.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

I'd like to know too!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking of something along these lines, but black so its not so obvious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-count-size-00...item3cabe59a3f
Old 07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could just put a strip of (Black) duct tape over the hole from inside the car, then place a piece over the hole from outside the car.

Crude, but effective for a short term fix.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My (previous) Solution

Originally Posted by barkerpa3466
Hey every one
When I get home in a few weeks I'm going to be replacing my stock antenna with a hidden one, but I have to finish paying for my wedding before i will have the cash to get it properly filled and painted.....I was wondering if any one has used a rubber stopper to temporally plug the hole and if you have where did you get it and what size......or if there was some one that currently has their antenna out could measure the size of the opening so I can find and order one so its ready when I get home. thanks guys

And in case there is a difference between the F-bodys I have a 02 Z28.
I purchased a carrage (spelling?) bolt with a round / spherical head from Home Depot, along with a couple of black rubber washers, a metal washer and a nut.

Then, using my grinding wheel, I ground down the square head on the backside of the bolt, so it matched the diameter of the threaded portion, and installed it in the hole, using the rubber washers to form a water-tight seal.

I clearcoated the head, so it looked good until I finally removed the ***'y, and fiberglassed the hole; just before I repainted the car.

My $0.02...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just leave the stock one in place till you can afford to fix the hole. (Not trying to be an ***... just what I would do.)
Old 07-31-2010, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I have found a couple places where I might find somthing work able with out resorting to black duck tape going cheap here just not that cheap

Does any one know the size of the opening?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Could just leave the stock one in place till you can afford to fix the hole. (Not trying to be an ***... just what I would do.)
Yeah, im not about to go spend a few hundred bucks in body work when a $2 stopper will work in place. My $1500 car isn't gonna be winning any car shows anytime soon anyway.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
Yeah, im not about to go spend a few hundred bucks in body work when a $2 stopper will work in place. My $1500 car isn't gonna be winning any car shows anytime soon anyway.
What he is saying is that if you are going to fix it the right way, which the OP said he was, then just wait to put the hidden antenna on until you have the means to do the whole thing the right way.
My .02. A rubber plug would look retarted on a 5 million dollar car or a free tempo your grandma gave you. Wait until you have the means to do it all right, the first time. If you get leaks around the plug, your dealing with stains and mold. Again, not cool, even on a $1500 car.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not going to be just replacing my antenna I’m going to be adding an entire system and dynamatting the whole car and I want to take apart the interior as few times as possible and I figured that while I have it all apart that I could remove the stocker and its cable and give them too another member (assuming that someone needs it.) And I don’t think the look of the rubber stopper would be too bad because I’m looking for one that is black (my car is black) and one that has a low profile top that has a slight bevel to it. As far as weather goes I live in Cali so mold and mildew is not much of an issue as it is in states with higher Humidity and more rain but to be on the safe side I was going to use a little silicone sealant on the inside.....

I have thought out all the aspects of this before I posted this thread, again thank you guys for your advice and opinions but I am just looking for a little info here. I'm not trying to start a debate on what looks best
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A few hundred bucks? I plugged the hole from mine with a 3x3 inch piece of fiberglass from the inside, and some bondo on the outside to shave it. Cost maybe $20? That's if you don't already have some of the supplies. Then shoot your color of choice from a rattle can on top of it to keep the area from rusting..
Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I welded mine up, took a coat of glaze putty over it, primed the spot and guide coated the area , blocked it to make sure it was good and straight...

...and...

...no more antenna hole!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

^^nice^^
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
I welded mine up, took a coat of glaze putty over it, primed the spot and guide coated the area , blocked it to make sure it was good and straight...

...and...

...no more antenna hole!
Nice, feel like helping out?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, feel like helping out?
Maybe if your local. I didnt do the welding myself, but I did the finish work.