Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

will this paint start flaking off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default will this paint start flaking off?

i had the hinges replaced on my drivers side door yesterday at a body shop and today i noticed after getting the car back last night that there is a small "dent" ie bend in the bottom of my door where it looks like maybe they didn't support the door properly while changing the hinges. ironically i took it to a body shop so i wouldn't do any damage to the door trying to do it myself. Anyway, it looks like the paint is cracked but it's still on there....for now. what's the chances of this starting to peel and how do i prevent that from happening?

I also don't think they got the door aligned quite right since i can see light between the interior mirror trim and the weatherstripping from inside the car. they adjusted the window more after i showed them a gap (they apparently changed the hinges and alighned the door with the window down) but now that i've found this **** at the bottom of the door i really don't know what to do about it since i did admittingly adjust the window inside the door to close the gap more but i'm sure that had nothing to do with this little problem on the bottom of the door.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 09-29-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
i had the hinges replaced on my drivers side door yesterday at a body shop and today i noticed after getting the car back last night that there is a small "dent" ie bend in the bottom of my door where it looks like maybe they didn't support the door properly while changing the hinges. ironically i took it to a body shop so i wouldn't do any damage to the door trying to do it myself. Anyway, it looks like the paint is cracked but it's still on there....for now. what's the chances of this starting to peel and how do i prevent that from happening?

I also don't think they got the door aligned quite right since i can see light between the interior mirror trim and the weatherstripping from inside the car. they adjusted the window more after i showed them a gap (they apparently changed the hinges and alighned the door with the window down) but now that i've found this **** at the bottom of the door i really don't know what to do about it since i did admittingly adjust the window inside the door to close the gap more but i'm sure that had nothing to do with this little problem on the bottom of the door.
most likely the igits used a floor jack to support the door instead of a proper door caddy
take it back and show them,they should fix the gap and the cracking paint
Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

how would a floor jack cause that? any moron knows you jack the door on the flat part o the doro, not on the thin edge piece.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how would a floor jack cause that? any moron knows you jack the door on the flat part o the doro, not on the thin edge piece.
You can be surprised. Same people who try and jack up the car by the fender tab instead of the nice big frame rail right next to it
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You obviously give igits more credit than I do.
Ive seen(and fixed) my share of botched up work that supposed "professionals"do.
Could have been a 2x4 wedged under the door to help it back in place too.

Last edited by toplessHO; 09-30-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You can be surprised. Same people who try and jack up the car by the fender tab instead of the nice big frame rail right next to it
yep,Ive fixed so many of those bent/broke fender tabs that I made a few metal backing plates to attach to the cracked/torn tabs damaged by the same igits. Ive almost run out of them and need to make more.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

here's a semi related question to all of this. how do you adjust the in/out position of the front of the door. i think the door needs to come in like 1/8 of an inch or so because it actually sticks slightly further out than the front fender (its not rubbing though) rather than inside the front fender like the right door and this probably explains the gap between the mirror trim and the weatherstripping causing the light. i can stick my hand between the door panel and the dashboard when the door is closed (like 4 fingers vertically positioned)
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^That's not good. I would take it back to the shop and raise hell.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

here's some pics of what i'm talking about. excuse the blurriness. i had to turn off the flash in order for the light passage i'm referring to to show up.

I already tried adjusting the triangle mirror holder thing and actually made it better (ie you can't see the top lip of the window in that area anymore from inside the car which you could even after the shop adjusted the door)

Is there any way to adjust the position of that A pillar weatherstripping to pull it out twords the door more?

I think they said that adjusting the door more was causing it to start sagging again on the new (used) hinges but i don't see how moving the door in at the front would affect that. moving it front or back i could see but in/out i don't know.

how do you move the door in or out?

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 09-30-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I just called them and they said the crack at the bottom of the door was there already. i never noticed it before but then again maybe i'm looking for it now. They did mention a crack when i picked the car up but i thought they said it was around the hinges.

they did tell me to bring it by monday and they would be able to tip the door in to fix that alignment. i guess they tried to align the door even with the fender rather than having it in slightly like the pass side. i guess thats how its "supposed" to be but my car has always had the fender slightly more out than the door and i've owned it for ~ 7 years and other than a small hay bale incident in 07 it's never had any real body work and that was just replacing the bumper cover. I don't think i have the fender pop out like the camaros sometimes get since the trans am's ground effects kind of prevent from happening but who knows.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 09-30-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't drive it in the rain until it is fixed!

I would think they should check everything after aligning it, to be sure the door seals properly. I guess they didn't...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Don't drive it in the rain until it is fixed!

I would think they should check everything after aligning it, to be sure the door seals properly. I guess they didn't...
nope. in fact he had the window down when he pulled the car out of the back and i rolled it up before leaving and it was bad enough that i could see the top of the window from inside the car at the top of the door. i wouldn't even take it cause i knew it would ahve leaked bad. they fixed the top part of the window but i guess since they didn't want to realign the door since they spent like 4 hrs doing so, that they didn't notice the mirror problem. i think tilting the door in from the beginning to match the passenger side probably would have solved it.

oh and as for the rain i don't bring this car out in the rain and try not to get caught in it. it doesn't see winter AT ALL
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

proper way to align everything is
1.door gap at 1/4
2.door gap at rocker
3.door gap at top front
4.window gap
5.fender to door(moving fender to fit door alignment)
Believe it or not I use rubber hose thats split and cardboard to help with alignment.
Ive found that door alignment is almost impossible with fender intact and roller detent spring in place. Remove inner fender and remove the roller detent spring,adjust door,reinstall spring.
If hinges are even the slightest bit sloppy youre shooting in the dark.
These guys that spent 4 hours on realignment of a used hinge install were igits