Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Do I dare paint the hood scoop myself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I dare paint the hood scoop myself?

2002 SS. Lots of atomic orange, with a small black pinstripe and the black roof, but still needs some black on the hood scoop area to break up all the orange.

Do I dare give this a try myself? Besides making sure I've got the area masked off well, what else would a rookie rattle canner need to know?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do it, but thats just me. I had no problem doing the ceta mod or berger panel, which came out good, but i wouldn't try anything with the SS scoop. its a harder taping job, since you have to create the line, and its in such a visible place on the car that it will stand out like a sore thumb if it looks bad. and you're rattle canning it at that.

you paid for an atomic orange paint job, why cheap out on something that can have such drastic results. especially when it probably wouldn't be extremely expensive to have a shop do it?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very good point. Since you have got all that coin invested int eh paint job.. getting that little bi done and DONE RIGHT will make a hell of a difference to the overall appearance
Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad you're in AZ or I'd invite you over to do it. I've used rattle can t paint stripes before but it's a pain in the butt. You gotta let the color coat dry and then wet sand with 1000 it because it doesn't lay as smooth as from a gun. Then you MUST clear coat it to prevent chips and fading. Let that dry for 2 weeks, then wet sand with 1000 and 2000 before buffing it out. The clear needs to overlap the color coat.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Go Vinyl!!! do the manta by the scoop or the whole scoop.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah don't rattle can it, and don't do it yourself if you have no experience... but I would like to see pics of that atomic orange!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I had a shop do a 2 tone atomic orange on my black truck and they put a small stripe of black in between that was killer.

My son and I bought this car with the idea it would be a track mostly car for road racing and it was a salvage title that whoever put it back together did NOT do a very good job.

We paid $500 for a guy to throw some atomic orange on it and it looks ok from 30ft. Not anything at all like the shop job on my truck, but we bought it for $6k, put another $3k in it in suspension, brakes, power (485hp) and the paint and body work to look somewhat decent and have taken it racing.

Heck it works so well road tripping (32 mpg @ 65 mph) that I have not stripped it down yet, but we also don't get too worked up with the paint chips from the track with the cheapo paint job either. At the same time-I was thinking the same thing as has been mentioned. The hood is a heck of a place to screw up a paint job. Even a cheap one. thx!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

like mentioned before, vinyl stries are an excellent option. i love mine.

here's what you'd be looking for:

http://fourthcircledesigns.com/produ...products_id=77
or
http://3rdgendecals.com/Manta.htm

i bought mine from the latter. with the stripes i bought, their design was better than 4th circles. haven't really looked at the manta's they both sell to know if there're any reall differences between the 2. with the price difference, keep in mind the second site gives 2, just in case you mess up, and they give a nice decal kit with plenty of extra things you can use around the car.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx for the info!!

Quick Reply: Do I dare paint the hood scoop myself?