Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

To those who have done T-Top conversions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default To those who have done T-Top conversions....

How did you fix up the rain gutter on each end? I saw that some fiberglassed it, but did you make a form for it? Or just lay strips down and then sand it into shape? I've got some body filler and I was thinking about just layering it up and then sanding it into shape, but I was wondering what others have used when they completed theirs.

This is what I'm referring to;

How did ya'll make that look like this;

Old 12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey look, my car!

I replied to your PM, but in case anyone else is interested:

Do the rain channels in 2 steps. 1: Fiberglass. 2: Bondo (body filler).

When you lay the fiberglass down, put some Saran Wrap over it and shape it with your hands. When the fiberglass cures, the Saran Wrap will peel off clean. This is a great trick because it gives you the ability to form your work w/out getting fiberglass all over your damned hands. And it holds its shape rather than sticking to whatever you form with.

Once its cured sand it down into the rough shape you need. It'll have some small pits in it. That's just how fiberglass is. Or at least mine was.

Then bondo it smooth and your ready to paint!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lotus289
Hey look, my car!
Yea, I used your write up while doing mine! I had the laptop outside with me the entire time, lol!

I replied to your PM.....
Thanks, I got it! I'm definitely going to try this this week.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to help

Post up some progress / finished pics! I always love seeing others work.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, as cheap as these cars are now just get one with TTops.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
Dude, as cheap as these cars are now just get one with TTops.
I converted it almost a month ago, lol. I've done too much work on my car to just sell it and start over, that's why I went ahead and did it.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TechCam97
I converted it almost a month ago, lol. I've done too much work on my car to just sell it and start over, that's why I went ahead and did it.
Same exact reason I did my conversion instead of buying a new car. Plus mine is paid off. $400 one time conversion fee or $300/mo car payment for 4 years....Hmmmmmm. Tough choice.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same exact reason I did my conversion instead of buying a new car. Plus mine is paid off. $400 one time conversion fee or $300/mo car payment for 4 years....Hmmmmmm. Tough choice.
haha, exactly. Mine is paid off as well. If I was to get back into a car note it wouldn't be for another F-Body. It would have been a good reason to look into a Vette though..... but, that's a dream for another day!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

updates? pics?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I did my conversion way back in 2001 when not nearly as many people had done this conversion so there was no good reference as to how most people were finishing it. I did all of it up to the point you are asking about, and I had a friend who worked in a body shop and he decided it was best to only use body filler rather than fiberglass. He did all of the work, sprayed it, and it is fine to this day.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-17-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast2006gt
updates? pics?
Well, technically I'm not done. I was supposed to have seven days of nice weather in the 70s during the day and 50s at night, but a cold front came through and made it four days. I had to quickly prime and paint it to seal it up for the winter so I can still see some sanding marks (I didn't use the proper primer, just what I had on hand), but it looks fine for what it is. Once the warm weather comes back this spring I'll strip it all back down and redo the primer and paint and make it nicer. I'm also going to get the plastic strip above the windshield replaced, mine got torn up a bit when I removed my old roof skin. I'll throw some updated pictures up at the bottom of this post.

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I did my conversion way back in 2001 when not nearly as many people had done this conversion so there was no good reference as to how most people were finishing it. I did all of it up to the point you are asking about, and I had a friend who worked in a body shop and he decided it was best to only use body filler rather than fiberglass. He did all of the work, sprayed it, and it is fine to this day.
Yea, I ended up doing the work in body filler as well. I was going to fiberglass, but with the turn in weather I decided to use the filler.

Some pictures of how she sits right now;

Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Looks Great!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone have any start to finish pics? i kinda would like to do this also
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice Job! That came out looking really good!

Originally Posted by ryans01z28
Click the link in my sig. I have a slightly abbreviated "walk-through" of the process from when I did mine.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oneblackTA2000
Looks Great!!!
Nice Job! That came out looking really good!
Thanks! Once I get it fully completed I'll update this again. I'm not sure how long that will be, but one day, haha!

Like Lotus289 mentioned, check his signature for a link to his guide. Here is another guide as well. There are quite a few, just do some searches and you'll find everything you need. Make sure you take your time and ask a lot of questions if you are stumped on something. I took my laptop with me when I was working on it and had Lotus's guide and pictures right there with me. It definitely helped a lot.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i did a search today and came up with his conversion. looks good i might give it a try. whats the worst that could happen HAHA

can you tell me all the parts i would need. is it just the t tops, t top head liner, and t top seals, and the t top storage thing (if u want that i guess)? what a good price for all of the parts also.

what did u use to get it 100% water tight

how many different times did u have to build up the fiber glass to get the perfect shape?

thanks

Last edited by ryans01z28; 01-18-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i did a search today and came up with his conversion. looks good i might give it a try. whats the worst that could happen HAHA

can you tell me all the parts i would need. is it just the t tops, t top head liner, and t top seals, and the t top storage thing (if u want that i guess)? what a good price for all of the parts also.

what did u use to get it 100% water tight

how many different times did u have to build up the fiber glass to get the perfect shape?

thanks
I'm sorry man, I didn't even get an email that this thread had a reply. Hope I'm not to late to help out. Basically what you'll need is:

- T-tops
- T-top brackets for locking pins
- T-top bracket washers to adjust for a tight fit
- T-top center trim piece/divider
- T-top headliner
- Interior plastic A-pillar trim for both driver and passenger sides
- Rear plastic trim to cover rear T-top brackets for both Driver and passenger sides
- Weather stripping for driver and passenger sides
- T-top holders for hatch (optional)
- Fasteners for above

For getting it water tight I just did a lot of adjusting with the bracket washers and I used some 3M Weatherstripping adhesive around some of the edges. I didn't use any fiberglass either, I used body filler and it took a couple coats with a lot of sanding in between to get the shape down. It's a lot of work, but all it really takes it a lot of patience and you'll be fine. As for the price, it can vary from location to location. I found that around $250 to $350 is pretty typical around my area for all the parts. Could be a little cheaper and could be a little more expensive, just matters on your patience and what people are willing to sell their stuff for.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He's got the parts list right. To make mine water tight I just kept adjusting the windows to fit the contour of the new weather stripping. Then kept adding RTV where needed to make the water flow properly through the rain channels.

I was into mine for $464 for everything (not including paint & materials, I got that free ) The only reason for my high cost was having to buy the headliner at the dealer ($212.00). It was the only way to match my interior color. And the T Tops ran me $172.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Can any of you tell me the thickness of the hardtop skin?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh gosh....it's pretty thin. I'd say 1/8th of an inch at most, probably a little less.

Quick Reply: To those who have done T-Top conversions....