Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear Coat on VHT going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clear Coat on VHT going?

Hey guys I tinted my tails with VHT and Duplicolor clear about a year ago. They came out great and looked perfect for awhile. Now that its slowly warming up and I'm taking a closer look at my car I notice it looks like the clear coat is cracking. Kind of a spider web effect I would say. Should I sand them down a bit and just re-clear them or do I need to sand off all the paint and start the entire tinting process again? Anyone who has ran into this issue please lend advice! thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sand them with some 800 grit or so, than wetsand with 1000, than 2000. and re-clearcoat.

I had to do this to mine.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd cleared over mine shortly after it dried and the clear crinkled up. I had to sand the clear off. I'm letting the tint cure fully before I try to clear again. As it cured, it got darker too so I'll have to sand it down some for that reason too.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, what were the temp & humidity like when sprayed?

I sprayed mine outside on a table & let them flash for the time on the can in direct sunlight. I did this for the coats of VHT. The following day I cleared them in the same process using the Duplicolor Truck/SUV clear coat, sitting them out in direct sunlight. Mine have been done for about 3yrs or so now & still look exactly as they did the day I did them. They have some orange peel but I have never wet sanded/buffed the clear either. My car is driven daily year round & I have no garage, so I have been about as hard on the finish as can be short of intentionally tryin to mess them up.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

I haven't had a problem with my tail lights but my third brake light, did this in the VHT after i cleared it... i had to sand it all off and start over.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Hmmm, what were the temp & humidity like when sprayed?

I sprayed mine outside on a table & let them flash for the time on the can in direct sunlight. I did this for the coats of VHT. The following day I cleared them in the same process using the Duplicolor Truck/SUV clear coat, sitting them out in direct sunlight. Mine have been done for about 3yrs or so now & still look exactly as they did the day I did them. They have some orange peel but I have never wet sanded/buffed the clear either. My car is driven daily year round & I have no garage, so I have been about as hard on the finish as can be short of intentionally tryin to mess them up.
Wow 3 years your lucky lol It was a spring day last year when i did them not too warm or humid.

Originally Posted by Hartje
I haven't had a problem with my tail lights but my third brake light, did this in the VHT after i cleared it... i had to sand it all off and start over.
Ya the 3rd break light is alot trickier than the tails
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I don't understand with mine, it was less than 60% humidity and just over 70 degrees. I have a small booth sectioned off in my shed where I do painting so everything flashes in the shade. When I sprayed clear right after the tint flashed, it crinkled. Duplicolor Truck/SUV Clear. I sanded it off and let the tint dry a couple days and applied the clear and it spider-webbed as it dried. I sanded it off again and have just the tint on now. I'll try wet sanding em down and applying clear via gun when I spray the car and see how that works out.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a pic of mine after 3yrs.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Here is a pic of mine after 3yrs.

Mine look like that from a distance, you really can't notice anything unless your standing like a foot away.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:48 AM
On The Tree

that looks good on the blue. I have the same blue and was wondering how it would look. did you also smoke the corner markers? how about the ones up front...or did you go clear with those?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Launching!

I heard if the car spends alot of time in sun the clear coat tends to peel off for some reason. Someone correct me if Im wrong,
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

So I just re wet sanded and polished my tinted taillights. Here's a couple pics of me and one of my 2 year old daughter! Enjoy..

P.S. Pics taken with iPhone 3Gs!
Attached Thumbnails Clear Coat on VHT going?-tinted-taillight.jpg   Clear Coat on VHT going?-taillight-reflection.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 243hunter
that looks good on the blue. I have the same blue and was wondering how it would look. did you also smoke the corner markers? how about the ones up front...or did you go clear with those?
All the side markers, third brake light & tails got VHT with clear coat. I left the turn signals alone cause unlike most I actually like the amber lights, LOL.

Here are a couple from different angles.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat on VHT going?