Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best way to paint 98-02 T/A front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best way to paint 98-02 T/A front bumper

hey guys, so because of some ******* gardener, i am getting my car painted. when i took it to the body shop, they quoted me $4700 to paint the whole car minus the front bumper. this is to remove all body panels, strip, repair (dents, chips, scratches etc) and re-paint all panels black inside and out. the only problem is my front bumper is pealing, and has a crack near the front fog lights. he said that he will not paint it cause it is way to much work, and that the f-body bumpers do not like to be re-painted.

my question is, is he just avoiding all the extra work cause insurance is paying for it, or are these bumpers really that shitty? mine is in rough shape, as it looks like it has been repainted once and pealed again, should i just get myself a used one that is on good shape with good paint? if he just doesnt want the hassle, should i take the front bumper to another shop and just let them paint the rest of the car? i had a different shop say they would repair it, and paint it for around $600 or so.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know wht he means by f-body bumpers do not like to be re-painted..lol
seems like he's full of ****.anything that is prepped the right way can be painted.only thing with these bumpers is that they are very flexible.and most the time primer or even the color is self starts to have cracks in it when u flex the bumper.solution to this is strip the bumper all the way down to bare plastic.use adhesion promoter(makes it stick) and use flexible primer designed for bumpers and flexible things.this primer does cost more then regular primer but it's well worth it.ask me how i know i had to strip my bumper down all the way to bare plastic 2 times because i decided to use regular primer.and long as its not big crack in the bumper it definitely fixable unless u can find good bumper for cheap.so if i were you ill take my car some place else.because from tht statement he made abt f-body bumpers do not like to be re-painted. tht just tells me he don't know his stuff and most likely will cut corners and do half *** job.this was just my two cents rest decision up to you.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how we figure it on cases like yours is that sanding down an entire bumper, fixing a crack (which these bumpers aren't easily fixable, glue is the only way), priming and blocking....you might as well get a brand new bumper that is going to look better in the end.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I considered fixing mine until I found a perfect GM unit off craigslist for $75. Just find another one.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I remove my front 2 years ago, left it first to a blaster shop; they used an ice blaster technique.
Removed all down to the plastic core, fixed all scratches prepared the front for paint.
They left the front to the paint shop and after a week I collect my front. Front looks as new.
Everything can be fixed- this shop is full of BS. Consider your business elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98camarols1
don't know wht he means by f-body bumpers do not like to be re-painted..lol
seems like he's full of ****.anything that is prepped the right way can be painted.only thing with these bumpers is that they are very flexible.and most the time primer or even the color is self starts to have cracks in it when u flex the bumper.solution to this is strip the bumper all the way down to bare plastic.use adhesion promoter(makes it stick) and use flexible primer designed for bumpers and flexible things.this primer does cost more then regular primer but it's well worth it.ask me how i know i had to strip my bumper down all the way to bare plastic 2 times because i decided to use regular primer.and long as its not big crack in the bumper it definitely fixable unless u can find good bumper for cheap.so if i were you ill take my car some place else.because from tht statement he made abt f-body bumpers do not like to be re-painted. tht just tells me he don't know his stuff and most likely will cut corners and do half *** job.this was just my two cents rest decision up to you.
+1 take it to a different person. I cant believe some people haha, it seems like there are so many threads lately of people getting these bullshit reasons and shitty work.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
+1 take it to a different person. I cant believe some people haha, it seems like there are so many threads lately of people getting these bullshit reasons and shitty work.
thanks for the advice guys, right now i am just looking for one in good shape for either a starter, or one that has good paint just to throw on to keep the headaches down. i called GM and they said they would sell me one for $1100 unpainted, what a load of crap.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
thanks for the advice guys, right now i am just looking for one in good shape for either a starter, or one that has good paint just to throw on to keep the headaches down. i called GM and they said they would sell me one for $1100 unpainted, what a load of crap.
I could see that price coming from GM. That price you got for 600 is probably pretty close to fair for todays prices for painting i think, so i woudnt worry about buying a new one, remember just because the paint is in bad condition doesnt mean the surface underneath is you know, so i would take it down to plastic and see what your working with if you feel comfortable getting it to a point were you can just have a professional paint it, youll safe a couple hundred.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i solved my problem. i am getting a fellow LS1tech member on here to sell me one of the T/A bumpers that he has stacked up over the years and he is even gonna paint it for me (does custom paint). got a killer deal on it shipped to my door so i am just gonna use my old bumper and a lawn chair or something. i am sure my dog will get a kick out of it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Glad you got it figured out at a good price. All I can say from this is that I trust very few people to do anything to my car, because they won't give a **** 9 times out of 10. xD And I for one can say these bumpers are actually pretty easy to paint, as I've done them without even the use of flexible primer, though that is still the best option unless you're extremely careful in the prep and handling/curing of the piece.

Quick Reply: Best way to paint 98-02 T/A front bumper