Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

can anyone estimate how much this outer rocker panel damage will cost to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone estimate how much this outer rocker panel damage will cost to fix?

I rushed going out of my driveway the other day, and beached my poor, beloved z28 over ice-hard snow. I f***ing hate snow.

As of now, I don't even know if I'd want to have the dent repaired because it's not exactly noticeable when standing. I just want the paint repaired, because there is a large crack which will keep on chipping, and then the rocker panel itself will rust.

can anyone give a rough estimate of a full repair cost (dent and paint), or just a paint repair, before i take it into a shop this week?

thanks guys

can anyone estimate how much this outer rocker panel damage will cost to fix?-pa0kh7o.jpg

good grief, I can't believe the size of that dent when I look at it

Last edited by giosoccer20; 03-09-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All depends how you want it fixed.

All metal? Going to be expensive. Grand plug.

Want it filled with bondo, smoothed, primed, painted? Around 500 is my guess.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
All depends how you want it fixed.

All metal? Going to be expensive. Grand plug.

I'd basically have no choice but to opt for the latter. As if I needed more convincing that snow sucks, lol. thanks for you input, nascarnate
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy idea and can you get access by removing the door will plate. My thought is you might be able to gain very small access and be able to bump it back out. If you can pull that off it would be a lot cheaper. But I really don't see more than $750/$800 worth of actual bump and paint work. But that also depends on you area.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LetsRide
Crazy idea and can you get access by removing the door will plate. My thought is you might be able to gain very small access and be able to bump it back out. If you can pull that off it would be a lot cheaper. But I really don't see more than $750/$800 worth of actual bump and paint work. But that also depends on you area.
i'm a little confused. are you asking me if it's possible to get access to the rocker panel, or are you saying that it is possible and i should try doing it in order to bump it out?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Launching!

can I not just buy a new rocker panel like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherman-700-00L-Rocker-Panel-Left-Chevrolet-Camaro-2-Door-/191094673337?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item2c7e214fb9&vxp=mtrand just have it painted and installed? would that not be definitely cheaper?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you will cause more damage replacing rocker than repairing this one
may be able to use air pressure to pop it out somewhat,need to seal all the openings first
a stud gun can finish it off. I cant see more than $500 here myself
if you ve been thinking of ground effects it would be a good time.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, replacing the rocker involves a lot of cutting and welding. Basically last resort if your rocker is totally trashed, rusted out, etc.

Definitely just fix that one.

My car has a dent and scratched paint on the passenger side from something thrown at me on the highway and not being able to totally avoid it. Not as bad as yours but still makes me grumpy.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by toplessHO
you will cause more damage replacing rocker than repairing this one
may be able to use air pressure to pop it out somewhat,need to seal all the openings first
a stud gun can finish it off. I cant see more than $500 here myself
if you ve been thinking of ground effects it would be a good time.
okay, cool, thanks for that input!

haha, maybe I can come out cheaper with ground effects, but I've never seen ground effects on a camaro which don't make the car look a bit...ricy. you know what I mean? unless someone can post pics of some tasteful ground effects
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
That dent is waaaayyyyyy to deep to just throw some body filler over lol.. That **** would crack extra fast especially in that location and then your back to square 1 but in a even worse spot because now you have a shitty body filler job to clean up. Cleaning up a shitty body filling job is the WORST. A smart body guy wouldn't even consider that until the dent is pulled out quite a bit more.

I have a dent very similar to that one in the same spot on my bird. Cant see it when standing or sitting next to the car and it's not chipping so I'm fine leaving it. Also it sort of goes with the theme of the car LOL

If your going to have it painted professionally (not maaco or whatever) I would have the dent pulled and fixed up as I just wouldn't feel right putting a nice paint job over a bad spot like that... A cheap at home paint job to keep the rust away until you have some extra cash to throw at it is something to consider. If your good with paint you can make it look OK for a while.

On a side note, I've helped put new rocker panels in late 99-06 silverados and it's really not that big of a deal for a experienced body guy (I was helping/learning from the experienced guy lol). The new rocker panels we would put on were almost 1/8th" thicker then the shitty rusted out stockers. You guys have seen how bad those trucks rockers get.
Like sparky said though, definitely a last resort.

Don't really feel comfortable giving you a price guesstimate. Pull the dent and paint it is one thing, but then you get in to - do you want to blend the clear coat or are you ok if the shade is off on your rocker panel vs the rest of the car? Clear coat blending is where the $$$$ really starts racking up.

Last edited by FormulaJoe; 03-10-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
That dent is waaaayyyyyy to deep to just throw some body filler over lol.. That **** would crack extra fast especially in that location and then your back to square 1 but in a even worse spot because now you have a shitty body filler job to clean up. Cleaning up a shitty body filling job is the WORST. A smart body guy wouldn't even consider that until the dent is pulled out quite a bit more.

I have a dent very similar to that one in the same spot on my bird. Cant see it when standing or sitting next to the car and it's not chipping so I'm fine leaving it. Also it sort of goes with the theme of the car LOL

If your going to have it painted professionally (not maaco or whatever) I would have the dent pulled and fixed up as I just wouldn't feel right putting a nice paint job over a bad spot like that... A cheap at home paint job to keep the rust away until you have some extra cash to throw at it is something to consider. If your good with paint you can make it look OK for a while.

On a side note, I've helped put new rocker panels in late 99-06 silverados and it's really not that big of a deal for a experienced body guy (I was helping/learning from the experienced guy lol). The new rocker panels we would put on were almost 1/8th" thicker then the shitty rusted out stockers. You guys have seen how bad those trucks rockers get.
Like sparky said though, definitely a last resort.

Don't really feel comfortable giving you a price guesstimate. Pull the dent and paint it is one thing, but then you get in to - do you want to blend the clear coat or are you ok if the shade is off on your rocker panel vs the rest of the car? Clear coat blending is where the $$$$ really starts racking up.
well with every passing day, I'm starting to cool down a bit more. therefore, I'm thinking about just having the dent pulled a bit, and then having paint thrown over it so that the paint crack is fixed so the rocker doesn't rust out.

Because it's a rocker panel, I won't worry too much about the perfection of the paint/clearcoat match (since it's not even visible when standing. I have an awful looking passenger fender paint match I need to take car of first, haha
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the blending part either unless the car was show quality or the like...
Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Yeah, replacing the rocker involves a lot of cutting and welding. Basically last resort if your rocker is totally trashed, rusted out, etc.

Definitely just fix that one.

My car has a dent and scratched paint on the passenger side from something thrown at me on the highway and not being able to totally avoid it. Not as bad as yours but still makes me grumpy.
It's such a shame how these sorts of things that damage one's car happen out of the blue
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A good body man with a stud gun can pull that out so well it will require minimal filler. The good body man's the hard part to find.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
A good body man with a stud gun can pull that out so well it will require minimal filler. The good body man's the hard part to find.
yeah, a good local body shop here in Media quoted me $600. f**k that!! He said he won't do any half/job. he'll either do it fully, or not.

i also asked how long I could drive with exposed rocker panel steel before it started dangerously rusting, and he said i'd be find well into april. true?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on the conditions you drive it in. Totally dry days? Could probably go even longer. Drive it in the rain? Could start rusting pretty darn quick.

What I did on the messed up paint on my old 98's rockers was spray it every so often with some WD40 lol. It actually did keep the rust off the exposed metal.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

I did similar damage to mine when I ran over a curb with my passenger side, and it cost me $400 at a highly reputable shop to have repaired.

Also, for what it’s worth, I went a year and a half before having it repaired, and it never showed any signs of rusting. I didn’t drive it in the winter, but it did get driven in the rain about 10-15 times.

Last edited by 02DroptopZ; 03-11-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Depends on the conditions you drive it in. Totally dry days? Could probably go even longer. Drive it in the rain? Could start rusting pretty darn quick.

What I did on the messed up paint on my old 98's rockers was spray it every so often with some WD40 lol. It actually did keep the rust off the exposed metal.
huh, good idea with the WD40, i'll probably do the same

Originally Posted by 02DroptopZ
I did similar damage to mine when I ran over a curb with my passenger side, and it cost me $400 at a highly reputable shop to have repaired.

Also, for what it’s worth, I went a year and a half before having it repaired, and it never showed any signs of rusting. I didn’t drive it in the winter, but it did get driven in the rain about 10-15 times.
Yeah based off everyone's guesstimates and personal experience, I'm going to keep shopping around for another quote. Also, very good to know that you were able to drive so long without fixing it with no problems. I won't be putting it off as long, just need to save up a little cash.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at it from shop owners perspective on cost. Factoring in the expense of materials, time to tape off car, proper repair procedure, paying employee, shop space, paint and supplies.

400-600 more than in right wheelhouse and the shop that said he wouldn't cut corners is the guy I'd let do my car hands down theres peace of mind to be found in someone who won't do a job half assed.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Look at it from shop owners perspective on cost. Factoring in the expense of materials, time to tape off car, proper repair procedure, paying employee, shop space, paint and supplies.

400-600 more than in right wheelhouse and the shop that said he wouldn't cut corners is the guy I'd let do my car hands down theres peace of mind to be found in someone who won't do a job half assed.
agreed, but a $200 difference is a big deal for me, so that's why. and again, it's a rocker panel, so a less than perfect job for cheaper wouldn't bother me, you know? Now, the passenger fender, hell yeah I'll have him do it.

Quick Reply: can anyone estimate how much this outer rocker panel damage will cost to fix?