Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New guy needing opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needing opinions

Hey what's up guys, new to the forum and new to the LS scene altogether. Going to look at and most likely pick up a 2001 z/28 ls1 A4 later this week. Car will be my daily in a few months, and I'm pretty excited to be getting it. It's a Monterey Maroon Metallic hardtop Z/28, with 200k miles and is priced accordingly. Car is in pretty good shape, other than a having a recent fender bender, resulting in the car having a new but unpainted bumper and drivers fender. So the car needs these parts painted, and I figured while I was at it I'd pick up an SS style hood a local guy has for sale and paint it also. I was thinking of attempting the paint/bodywork myself, but having pretty much no experience in the bodywork field, I was wondering if this would even be a good idea. I'm not the type to halfway do anything, and I would do my research and do everything in my power to do this right the first time. I would like to pay a shop to do it, but being on the budget I'm on, I'd rather spend money on bodywork tools I can use in the future on other projects than pay someone else to do it. So I'm just looking for some opinions. Is this a good idea, with enough practice and research, or should I leave this one up to the professionals? Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help guys!
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Bump. 66 views and nothing? Come on guys
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

you can do it yourself as long as you take the time to find out how to do it right. there are lots of sites with a lot of info . it will be an investment if you plan on doing more paint work in the future. if its a one time deal you would be better off paying to have it done.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're not one to do something half assed why buy a 200k mile Fbody. After you buy the car and fix it youll probably have already spend more money on the 200k mile Fbody than it would have cost to just buy a decent Fbody without body work and high mileage. I'd just save a little more and buy a better starting point. It will pay for itself in the future when that 200k mile ls1 lets go 6 months after you buy it.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scj
If you're not one to do something half assed why buy a 200k mile Fbody. After you buy the car and fix it youll probably have already spend more money on the 200k mile Fbody than it would have cost to just buy a decent Fbody without body work and high mileage. I'd just save a little more and buy a better starting point. It will pay for itself in the future when that 200k mile ls1 lets go 6 months after you buy it.
Sometimes, when you NEED a car you NEED a car and waiting another year or 2 of saving up is NOT an option. You get what you can afford NOW and fix it up as it needs it and you get the money together, not everyone wants a car payment, or can even get the loan, due to bad credit or no credit.

Be glad someone is trying to "rescue" an f-body instead of telling them to spend money they don't have.

the car before my last car had 250K miles on that motor before I wrecked the car and I was somewhere between 200k and 250k on my last car when I sold it, both had original motors, but the trans was swapped in the first one around 175k.

this isn't the 1980's cars can easily last many many miles with proper maintenance, hell I know someone that had a minivan with 400k on the clock when it got wrecked. Hell I haven't bought a car with under 150k miles in the last decade.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Sometimes, when you NEED a car you NEED a car and waiting another year or 2 of saving up is NOT an option. You get what you can afford NOW and fix it up as it needs it and you get the money together, not everyone wants a car payment, or can even get the loan, due to bad credit or no credit.

Be glad someone is trying to "rescue" an f-body instead of telling them to spend money they don't have.

the car before my last car had 250K miles on that motor before I wrecked the car and I was somewhere between 200k and 250k on my last car when I sold it, both had original motors, but the trans was swapped in the first one around 175k.

this isn't the 1980's cars can easily last many many miles with proper maintenance, hell I know someone that had a minivan with 400k on the clock when it got wrecked. Hell I haven't bought a car with under 150k miles in the last decade.

Well said. My car now has 240,000 plus miles on it, and when I tell people that they can't believe it.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can definitely do it yourself, but it will be a pretty big cost up front for materials. Like someone said earlier, if you plan on doing more paintwork in the future, go for it. If not, I would pay someone 400-500 and let them do it and make sure it has a professional outcome for your money. I'm all for DIY though if you don't mind messing up a couple times
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If I NEEDED a car I sure as hell wouldn't be buying a 200k mile Fbody. I'm not hating on fbodies I just would prefer to have something proven to last. Get $1500 bucks and go buy a little civic, get yourself around, cheap, good gas mileage and it will last forever. I'm not saying a 200k mile ls1 can't last longer than that, but if you NEED a car chances are you don't need a v8 powered sports car. I'd also say your running on borrowed time with anything over 220,000 miles.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scj
If I NEEDED a car I sure as hell wouldn't be buying a 200k mile Fbody. I'm not hating on fbodies I just would prefer to have something proven to last. Get $1500 bucks and go buy a little civic, get yourself around, cheap, good gas mileage and it will last forever. I'm not saying a 200k mile ls1 can't last longer than that, but if you NEED a car chances are you don't need a v8 powered sports car. I'd also say your running on borrowed time with anything over 220,000 miles.
1500 dollar civics are usually in even worse condition then how he describes this camaro plus most of those cheaper civics are un-maintained piles that are about to snap the timing belt and destroy the valves because they still have the original timing belt because the previous owners don't know to replace that part and are unaware of what an interference motor is.

what we really need here is what kind of price the seller is asking for the camaro to see if the cost difference between it and a decent condition one make it worth the time to do it, this is something that has yet to be mentioned, also pics would be nice if possible.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scj
Well my 98 Z28 had 295,000 plus miles on it when it got to close to a tree, but I do see your point about the Honda.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies guys. Everyone has some good points. I can post some pics soon, and I can have the car for right at about $2000. I'm still thinking of painting myself, but think I'll get a few estimates from some local places that I know do good work after I get the car and weigh my options. Considering similar cars with 170k+ are in the 5-6k range, I think I've found a pretty good deal. Keep the info coming guys, and if someone has a link to a thread with some things to look for when looking at the car I'd love to see that too. Thanks

Quick Reply: New guy needing opinions