Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Amature Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Amature Paint question

I have a 98 Z28 and the Sail Panel is looking pretty bad. 50% of it has no shine and the paint is coming off. The car came from the factory with the sail and mirrors black and the rest of the car is NBM, I had a body shop paint the sail and mirrors NBM back in 98. I saw a few places the will sell rattle can paint the they garentee to match color. I was wondering if I could paint my sail panel in my garage with rattle cans and have it come out looking good. I sanded primed and painted small things in the past like the window frames on my Montero Sport and they look pretty good. The sail panel is a bigger piece and was wondering if it was possible to do a decent job with rattle cans.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can always try if it comes out bad you get to re sand and have a shop do it so just time lost.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

the color match duplicolor cans are TINY and rather expensive, also not horribly impressed by them, at least not on the pewter metallic color we used, was a very noticeable shade difference.when we did the new lower bumper piece on my dads old 03 sierra this way. I personally wouldn't suggest it as I feel you would just be wasting money.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Amature Paint question

Look at the last post on the thread "rattle can T bar".
Old 09-08-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

wow, I was really hoping someone had done this and knew the technique.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

don't waste your time and money trying to paint a large area like the sail panel with rattle cans! need a good gun and compressor, bc/cc, color sand and buff is the only way to go! here's two sail panels I painted in my backyard.
Attached Thumbnails Amature Paint question-dscn2738.jpg   Amature Paint question-dscn2822.jpg  
Old 09-10-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
don't waste your time and money trying to paint a large area like the sail panel with rattle cans! need a good gun and compressor, bc/cc, color sand and buff is the only way to go! here's two sail panels I painted in my backyard.
So how much does a good gun cost? I have 2 Colts will they do?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

IMO a good gun is really nice, but NOT necessary. I have painted a bunch with the el-cheapo Harbor Freight HVLP guns and it turns out just as nice in the end. After all, color sand and buff takes out the peel.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rpturbo
IMO a good gun is really nice, but NOT necessary. I have painted a bunch with the el-cheapo Harbor Freight HVLP guns and it turns out just as nice in the end. After all, color sand and buff takes out the peel.
Yes but having at least a mid grade gun u get better coverage layout and less hard work or sanding and buffing with proper air pressure. When ur a noob if u don't know the products u can sand right through your paint job trying to flatten it out. Those Eastwood gun set ups that are semi cheap prices work pretty well . I have seen many harbor guns the past few years that would not even atomize. I shot a car with the Eastwood guns and it layed down pretty flat. The gun and air pressure at the tip plays a huge part in how it lays down.

Quick Reply: Amature Paint question