Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need adhesive for weather strip

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Need adhesive for weather strip

I went to my local body shop to ask about the weather strip on my passenger door, it won't stay clipped. I can push it down but as soon as I use my window, it lifts back up off the door. Upon inspection, the fiberglass tabs the strip clips to are worn down. The body shop said the door would need to be replaced or I could find an epoxy to glue the strip to the fiberglass. He wasn't able to give me a specific epoxy, just said to ask paint shops around town. Does anyone know what I need to use to glue the metal clips on the weather strip to the fiberglass in the door?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the same problem on my 1999 TA. I don't think the door needs replaced, you just need to find a new window weather strip. Classic Industries has them for sell. As soon as I get some extra money I will be replacing mine.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this exact issue and what happens is the door actually gets worn where the clips slide into. I don't know if this is the correct way but it worked for me and I never had the issue again...
I popped up the strip all the way to the mirror but didn't remove it from the door. I slightly spread the clips open so they can grab onto the worn area of the door a little better, I then applied JB Weld 8265-S Cold Weld Compound onto each clip and popped the strip back down onto the door.
Do this at the end of the day so you have a good 10 hours or so before you drive the car, the longer the better so you don't disturb the glue. I waited around 10 hours before I drove my car and did not have any issues.

This is my 2 cents and hopefully it helps.

Also when you are pushing the strip back down onto the door make sure 100% that all of the clips are actually going into the slits in the door, sometimes they will slide away from it and obviously this wont help.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I have the same problem on my 1999 TA. I don't think the door needs replaced, you just need to find a new window weather strip. Classic Industries has them for sell. As soon as I get some extra money I will be replacing mine.
The strip is fine, it's definitely the door. If you look at the fiberglass tabs, they are obviously worn down.

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
I had this exact issue and what happens is the door actually gets worn where the clips slide into. I don't know if this is the correct way but it worked for me and I never had the issue again...
I popped up the strip all the way to the mirror but didn't remove it from the door. I slightly spread the clips open so they can grab onto the worn area of the door a little better, I then applied JB Weld 8265-S Cold Weld Compound onto each clip and popped the strip back down onto the door.
Do this at the end of the day so you have a good 10 hours or so before you drive the car, the longer the better so you don't disturb the glue. I waited around 10 hours before I drove my car and did not have any issues.

This is my 2 cents and hopefully it helps.

Also when you are pushing the strip back down onto the door make sure 100% that all of the clips are actually going into the slits in the door, sometimes they will slide away from it and obviously this wont help.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't know that. Hopefully it will be cheaper to buy the weld compound than the new weatherstripping. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

That JB Weld 8265-S Cold Weld Compound did the trick! This weather strip has looked like crap for so long and now finally it's nice and flush again

Before:
Name:  IMG_20150613_142042_553.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  200.9 KB

After:
Name:  IMG_20151106_033320_165.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  212.3 KB
Old 11-09-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad it worked! I'll have to do that in the spring.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I highly recommend it. Although if you ever want the strip off in the future, good luck.

Quick Reply: Need adhesive for weather strip