Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Gun Metal Gre" PlastiDip " for WS6 ( HELP with Color match.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun Metal Gre" PlastiDip " for WS6 ( HELP with Color match.....

Hi,
I have attached a few pictures of the color I am wanting to have my WS6 Plasti-Dipped with.

I just can't figure out what Color this is ?

And what Color of Plasti-Dip does this Color most resemble, if for some reason they do Not make this color in a Plasti-Dip color ?

Do I need to go with .... a Flat, Satin or Gloss ( Mixed with the Plasti-Dip ) to achieve the color as seen in the attached photos ?

Thanks so much,
I really appreciate the help and insight - Michael
Attached Thumbnails Gun Metal Gre" PlastiDip " for WS6 ( HELP with Color match.....-8-31-2014-096.jpeg   Gun Metal Gre" PlastiDip " for WS6 ( HELP with Color match.....-facebook_1406924739092.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That looks like Corvette Cyber grey to me
Name:  IMG_3753.jpg
Views: 3708
Size:  1.18 MB

Or Viper steel grey:

That paint is gloss, if it were matte or satin then there would be no shine.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Hi JD_AMG,
Thank you for posting the vehicles

Would you say that the Pictures of the WS6 have a Green tone/tint to it ?

Thank you again
Old 01-28-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If that indeed a PD color, closest I can think of is Anthracite Gray with a TON of Glossifier. But I'm pretty sure that's paint on pictures your posted.

BTW you don't mix Glossifier with the PD when you spray it, it sprays on top. Go check out DYC site and forum, you could definitely find an answer there. You could also mix colors to achieve desired color.

BTW that car with that color and polished wheels looks sick.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

InfiniteReality,
Thank you for your reply

Yeah, it's definitely paint on the WS6 I posted .
I had the Color of it written down about 1 year ago.... I just can't find the paper that I wrote it down on lol

And is the Glossifier when used with PlastiDip... basically the equivalent of Clear Coat on an Actual Paint job on a car ?

And how many coats of Glossifier do you think I'd need to achieve that same Shine as is in the picture of the WS6 ?

And yeah , I really like this color on a Trans Am too
Just hope I can find the name of the Color ..... It looks like it's a mixture of both Grey and maybe a Military type Green .... What do you think ?

And Thanks again for your input, much appreciated
Old 01-28-2016, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Default Maybe a mixture of Camo Green and Cyber Grey ?

What do you think ...... Maybe a mixture of Camo Green and Cyber Grey ?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep Glossifier is just like clear coat. As far as how many coats, that I'm not sure. More coats the more shiny it will be. I'm not sure if you can achieve paint like clear coat, but can get close.

If I was you, I'd get both colors you suggested and take the bulk of the gray and slowly add the camo green till it is what you like. WIth dip, what color you see wet is the color it'll look afterwards.

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php
Check out DYC forums. Sign up and ask questions and read. People there more than willing to help and guide you. Also check out DYC youtube channel, he'll show you how it's done and step-by-step. Beware though, it'll get you all hyped up to dip. That's how my bike got dipped twice so far and the truck once (and still is 7 months later).
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

InfiniteReality,
I'm thinking of doing the following ......Mixing a 50/50 mix of Anthracite and Gunmetal. Figure 3 gallons of gunmetal gray for the base and then 2 gallons of the 50/50 mix plus the Camo Green

Maybe Per 1 Gallon of the Anthracite and Gunmetal .... mik these 50/50 and add to that .... 1/2 a pint ( At first ) and see what that looks like
And then add another 1/2 pint of the Camo Green until I get the color I'm looking for.

You think?
Thank
Old 01-29-2016, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're going in the right direction, makes sense to me. Just take your time mixing and mix ALL of your dip for the car at the same time so you're not remixing during the spraying.

They always say rather have too much dip than not enough. It also makes it easier to peel when you're ready. For reference it took 4 gallons to dip the truck properly. I use 1 gallon to dip the front/rear bumpers, fender flares and roof. The bike took 1 gallon, though 1 extra pint would have been nice to make it a little easier to peel.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

How many Coats of Plastidip did you apply to your truck, and do you happen to have any Pics. ?

How long would you say The PlastiDip lasts .... If taken care of ( washed and applying a Wax type spray such as Turtle Wax's I.C.E. spray on it, every few weeks ?
I have heard up to 3 years
And to keep it looking it's best ... you can always have it Re-Dipped wit one coat of paint + how ever many coats of High Gloss coating

I did the CETA mod to my WS6 over 2 and a half years ago , and it is still holding up well ( not to mention this is right above the Exhaust pipes ) .... So definitely some durable and long lasting stuff
Old 02-01-2016, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used 4 gallons of blue and 1 gallon of black. The front/rear bumpers, roof and fender flares are black. I've had it on the truck since July and honestly hadn't even washed it once and still holding up. I'm not totally sure how long it'll last, most people end up peeling it and doing it again with a different color, lol.

Here's a few pictures of my dipping. I actually don't have pictures with the black fender flares on the truck, I came back and did that a week later and never took pics.
Name:  IMG_1148.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  100.8 KB
Name:  IMG_8385.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  100.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1643.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  157.2 KB
Old 02-01-2016, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Awesome Job man . Really nice Did you buy the Spray Gun rig directly from Them ? Any High Gloss on your truck or Bike ?
Old 02-01-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsvtr
Awesome Job man . Really nice Did you buy the Spray Gun rig directly from Them ? Any High Gloss on your truck or Bike ?
Yep got the motorcycle kit when I originally did the bike white. There's no glossifier on any if them. Most I've had is used DipCoat spray which makes it feel more like paint than rubber plus protects it.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tip ..... I wasn't aware of the DipCoat spray
I'll look into that as a possible alternative to the High Gloss

Do you happen to have any more pics. of your WS6 ?

Have you done any Exterior Mods to it .... Overlays, decals, stripes ?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

DipCoat is well worth the money, last a long time as well too. I'd consider it a must have when you do it. It definitely wouldn't replace Glossifier, but when freshly applied it goes from a flat color to more of a satin. But you'd have to keep applying it. If you're wanting shine, definitely do Glossifier. I'm not sure why but the DYC forum is still down. When that comes back up, definitely recommend spending some time on it... it's amazing the work everyone does. Mine is average at best.

You may be interested in seeing my time lapse. Gives you an idea what I did to dip the bike this last time.
and to remove the dip

I'd be glad to post pictures of my WS6, but it's fairly stock looking right now. Most I've done is lower it, overlay over some black emblems and upgraded some lighting with LEDs. I have a set of 01-02 WS6 wheels, just mailed 2 of them yesterday to get widened from 9" to 11". Can't wait to get those back.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post19124186

I made this over the weekend, it's pretty unique, lol.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ate-light.html
Old 02-02-2016, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Awesome videos man .... It's cool to see the Lapse and progress from the starting point , and up until the end

I like the LED project you did for the License Plate ..... s that controlled with a Switch and or a Dimmer ?

And have you ever tinkered with Making the Front of the Bird on the License plate " Light Up " with the use of LEDs ?
I've seen a few of these, and I really like the look to them .
Just haven't found anyone who sells them yet, or I'd have had one already lol

And your WS6 is identical to mine ( for the time being )
I just ordered a set of Eibach Sportlines for the Front and Back ( and Koni shocks/struts for the front )
Definitely looking forward to lowering it , and giving it that Aggressive stance

Next up will be to PlastiDip it , which is where I'm stuck on what color to go with .... Anthracite, Gun Metal or an Artic White ( same as original color of the car )

I'm also considering putting on certain Overlays and Inlays on various places on my car .... Just not sure exactly which I want to go with OR what color to use ,
Here is the Link to that Thread ......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-overlays.html

If I keep the car white, then I'm leaning towards going with ONYX color for ,
your thoughts ?

And what do you think about putting the BlackBird stripes on Both the Hood and or the Spoiler ?
Here's the Link for those.....
http://fourthcircledesigns.com/index...63efa167794605
Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So in order to do this right, how much would it cost to do a 1500 Silverado, extended cab?
Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsvtr
Awesome videos man .... It's cool to see the Lapse and progress from the starting point , and up until the end

I like the LED project you did for the License Plate ..... s that controlled with a Switch and or a Dimmer ?

And have you ever tinkered with Making the Front of the Bird on the License plate " Light Up " with the use of LEDs ?
I've seen a few of these, and I really like the look to them .
Just haven't found anyone who sells them yet, or I'd have had one already lol

And your WS6 is identical to mine ( for the time being )
I just ordered a set of Eibach Sportlines for the Front and Back ( and Koni shocks/struts for the front )
Definitely looking forward to lowering it , and giving it that Aggressive stance

Next up will be to PlastiDip it , which is where I'm stuck on what color to go with .... Anthracite, Gun Metal or an Artic White ( same as original color of the car )

I'm also considering putting on certain Overlays and Inlays on various places on my car .... Just not sure exactly which I want to go with OR what color to use ,
Here is the Link to that Thread ......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-overlays.html

If I keep the car white, then I'm leaning towards going with ONYX color for ,
your thoughts ?

And what do you think about putting the BlackBird stripes on Both the Hood and or the Spoiler ?
Here's the Link for those.....
http://fourthcircledesigns.com/index...63efa167794605
Thanks. The license plate is just hooked up to the license plate light socket. Operates just like OEM, just a little brighter.

I just did springs, BMR. I also added 1/4" spacers so I got a 1" drop and not 1.25". I really liked the way the Firehawk sat on the old version of BMR so repeating it. With the Firehawk I originally tried Eibach. I HATED them, it slammed the car 2x further than advertised and it rode like a donkey. They told me it was my car, haha. Exchanged for BMR and was perfect and rode way better. Just my .02.

I've illuminated the front bird it once before, but it was about 10yrs ago. I'll post some pictures at the very bottom. Don't recall off the top of my head how many LEDs I used, but they always worked till the day I sold it. Bear with the pictures, they're not the best, lol. Check out 6LE, I think they make one. I know someone does, I saw it not long ago.

I don't mind the side stripes or the blackbird spoiler stripes, but not something I want on my car. My brother has identical car and has them though.

As far as decals. My preference is only front bird and rear Pontiac inlay, in ABS or the onxy SS... no decals for rear, the inserts would be better.

A cool color would be a gray with a bronze undertone. I think that'd be awesome looking. Could likely add pearl to the gray they have to achieve the look and add some pop to the color.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
So in order to do this right, how much would it cost to do a 1500 Silverado, extended cab?
$300

Name:  DSC00107.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  118.0 KB
Name:  JustLEDs.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  11.9 KB
before bird overlay
Name:  DSC00095.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  22.7 KB
after
Name:  DSC00101.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  DSC00145.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  49.6 KB
Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

TWO Black WS6's ..... Think of getting mine Plastidipped Black instead of white , and then doing the wheels in a Darker Grey ( Gunmetal ) as seen in the picture(s) .

Thoughts please ?
Attached Thumbnails Gun Metal Gre" PlastiDip " for WS6 ( HELP with Color match.....-2016-01-31-21_21_40-2016-01-30-14_32_22-trans-am-w-typ-front-lip-bing-images-internet-explor.png  
Old 02-04-2016, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only downside to doing black is it's just flat looking. Looks more like primer IMO, I'd definitely do a color. One thing to consider, unless you plan on doing them, is the door jambs will be white still.

Quick Reply: Gun Metal Gre" PlastiDip " for WS6 ( HELP with Color match.....