Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Question about painting a car in pieces

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about painting a car in pieces

Hey guys...I have a 98 Vette that I am thinking of repainting. To most people it looks great, but the rock chips in front and road rash behind the wheels basically means it needs a full paint job to make it look right. I will be fully disassembling the car, but I would like to have each panel painted individually, off the car. It basically means zero taping, and no paint breaks where there would normally be a tape line.

Now, to my question. My car is black, and I could repaint it that color. However, are there any other colors that I could paint it that wouldn't look like a different shade, or striped, after being painted individually? I'm open to alot of colors, like yellow or orange etc...I know its an odd question, but I just think this would be the best idea, so there are zero tape lines! Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any solid color is a good canidate for piece painting. The iffy colors are the light metallic colors like silver, pewter, nassau blue..etc. darker metallics arent as easy to spot the variance in the metallics and pearls.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

I would never in my life try to panel paint a car using silver or pewter. Too many variable involved. You would have to be robot like to lay it down consistently from panel to panel. Pretty much any opaque color can be done if you are diligent about mixing the paint properly, monitoring your air pressure, gun distance, gun speed across the panel, etc. ,etc. Metallics become more difficult to do. But if you have to panel paint with metallics, be sure to orient the piece in the same way it is hung on the car when you paint it. And dust coat helps too.

Bryan
Old 02-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I worked at a restoration shop for a few years before I opened my current business, and we piece painted everything. I remember a 66 GTO that the shop did before I got there (that didn't leave for two years after I started working there) that was a light blue metallic, similar to Nassau Blue. They painted it all in pieces and it looked so bad, every panel looked like a different shade. It was obvious in any picture you took of the car.... I felt bad because it ended up being close to 30K for the paint and bodywork, and the car didn't even look that good.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

panel painting black should not be an issue but big no on any metalic colers, and solid colers well u can prob get away with it but its up to you, id rather jam it all then paint it assembled, if u can tape good then u should be able to hide any paint lines
Old 02-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Tape lines never really bothered me either. On my targa car I sanded the tape edge with some 1200 and hand rubbed it until it was practically gone.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tape lines arent even realy noticed by many people if any at all, i usualy back roll or use apertature* tape and it works good to where its not that noticeable at all if at alll
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Yeah it's a small price to pay for having all your panels match, and no risk of chipping anything during re-assembly.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might have to hang the panels as if they wre on the car, to help the paint match better...like set the hood flat on a table, but the fenders hanging from a string
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

I have a 98 vert and it was black. I am going to paint it the navy blue color of the newer vettes. it is a dark color. I will paint it all apart. I purched new rockers for it and I will paint them off the car too. You will not be able to paint yours off the car. beleive me they don't come off in one peice. the vett is soooo easy to take apart that I wouldn't do it any other way. you do need to lay the whole car out just like the pnls are on the car and paint in order. all vert pnls spray vert and all horz pnls spray horz. it will be best to listen to the above posts for no good colors they are correct.. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Question about painting a car in pieces