Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

This is for everyone who is afraid to rattle can their car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default This is for everyone who is afraid to rattle can their car.

So this is my first time working bondo ever. And I painted this in a shed. About two coats of primer, 4 coats of duplicolor gloss black and 2 coats of clear. This is the end result. ENJOY.

I was too lazy to wash the car before the pics so its a little dirty.

OH NO WHAT HAPPENED TO THE KEY HOLE!!!

Last edited by nomoneyz; 05-13-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can paint stuff well with rattle cans, you just have to take your time... Looks good, did u just fill you key hole with bondo?
Old 05-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Launching!

I thought something looked different about it and it was the key hole. Looks good.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidfre21
you can paint stuff well with rattle cans, you just have to take your time... Looks good, did u just fill you key hole with bondo?
Yah I just used bondo. I had to put something behind the hole so the bondo didnt just fall threw.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, it honestly took about 11-13 hours give or take, from start to finish. I split it into a couple days.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

You do realize filler that thick, in a hole, is going to crack and fall out? The first good amount of pressure or flex, that filler will start cracking. It will leave you with a new mess/project to repair again.

I guess it's all good, if you are happy with it, but I would not have went that route. Filler's basic principle is suppose to be used to finish out defects with metal, after the metal has been worked/dollied out... not for filling open holes.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed. If you filled in that deep of a hole with bondo then you're asking for trouble down the road. Bondo or any putty for that matter is meant for filling and smoothing very shallow imperfections, not for shaving holes.

Bryan
Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Give the guy a break. He obviously does not do this for a living, hence the duplicolor. Props to you for trying to do it yourself. Maybe next time he should ask on one of the forums first. He didnt, oh well congrats on trying your best.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If he filled the hole properly and used little amounts of plastic filler (bondo is a trademark) the he shouldn't have any problems. If it cracks...what the hell...just do it again!!!

Good job man!
Old 05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. And the critiques, its cool im just a kid on a tight budget and I read alot about how people think that it cant be done right with crappy paint, so I went for it and IMO it came out great. And besides it only cost me 20 bucks.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Vetman, relax, all I was doing was trying to pass on was some educational info.

Noone was being bashed, but obviously, he did not know before, now he does. Education, nothing more....

We all have to start somewhere, but now he knows more than he did before.

When people come on these forums asking/feeling for opinions, advice, and replies, they need to be ready to expect some feedback. Know what I mean? I see noone in this thread who was mean to the original poster, just giving some opinions and good advice. Correct?

Nomoneyz, I commend you for attempting something that alot of young guys your age would not even attempt to do. We all learn as we go through life, and sometimes others give us good advice that helps further our education that helps us to get better at things. That was all I was trying to do. Looks like you got off to a good start, with your first experience, now you know about how filler is suppose to be used. Congrats, on your diy project!

Last edited by Tim Noel; 05-13-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

dyna de lite has flex in it and probably wont crack, id use that next time, should be right next to the bondo at autozone.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definately looks good for $20!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I apreciate all the feed back and no hard feelings about anything I know now there couldve been better options. Thanks again for ALL feedback. Hell thats what this forum is for right help and opinions.

Quick Reply: This is for everyone who is afraid to rattle can their car.