Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anyone know about those "mobile" paint correction guys??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know about those "mobile" paint correction guys??

Me and a buddy went to a local dealership looking for cars yesterday. I happened to notice this guy re-painting a bumper on an acura in the parking lot- not in a booth, or anything. He just had the car taped up and had the front wheels covered. Mine is spider webbing pretty badly and I asked him how much it would be to repaint my front bumper- He gave me a quote of around $125.00. Is that a good deal?? It just seems very convenient due to the fact that he can get it done on the spot. Also I wouldnt have to make an appt. with a body shop and wait for days. Any thoughts????
Old 12-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Yes, i know a guy that has his own buisness and does great work. It is becoming more and more popular.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

No way man its almost impossible to get a good job in a booth much less outside. I would have to see it to believe it. Do they build something around the car to keep the air from blowing dust and crap on it? I just cant see it happening without alot of drawbacks.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

my dad it for many years in Dallas-a lot of guys have a ford econoline vans setup complete with paint mixing system in the van and use mini sata guns. I have been with my dad and repainted corvette bumpers at the lot and you could not even tell. Dont get me wrong there are guys out there that will do you a bad job and there are guys that know what there doing just like findng goo and bad body shops.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stay away. All they do is just spot in the problem area and not clearcoat the entire panel. It may look good for a week, a month or maybe even a year at best. Over time the suns U.V rays will break down the blended clear edge and look somewhat like a faded bullseye in the panel. Also the do not usually remove any of the trim, which could peel around it later. Another thing is that most if not all of the guys that do this use cheap paint, for the simple reason to keep the costs down. For $125.00 that would not even cover the cost of paint and materials from a major paint mfr. let alone the cost of labor. If you dont really care about the car it would probably work out good for you. But obviously you do otherwised the paint spidering would not bother you. If it were me I would rather save the money and look at the paint spidering than spend 125 to be pissed off later down the road. Not that this really matters, it is just my .02 good luck
Old 12-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Teching In

stay away from the traveling bodyman
Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

talk with him more and see if he can show u some more of his work. Personally i wouldnt, just because my shop fixed a lot of their f-ups and ive seen some just look terrible
Old 12-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

My car was painted in a garage, no booth, and the doors were opened right after it was sprayed to clear out the clear's nasty lingering fume cloud, my car looks brand new.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by slayerized6; 02-26-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone know about those "mobile" paint correction guys??