Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Sail Panel Issue, Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sail Panel Issue, Again

Since owning my car, purchased in 2005, I have had 4 sail panels. All replacements were done under warranty. Now my warranty is long gone, unfortunately, and the epoxy is just starting to make its way out AGAIN. Unfortunately, secondly, GM does not have any in stock, not even Vintage Parts. So what's everyone doing doing for this? To my understanding there is no fixing without replacing. I have never seen an aftermarket panel fit like OEM, so this really sucks. Getting very hard to find parts for these cars.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything you'll need to know...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I replaced mine this past summer with the 6LE aftermarket sail panel. Use the correct primer and all should be good to go for a long time
Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
I replaced mine this past summer with the 6LE aftermarket sail panel. Use the correct primer and all should be good to go for a long time
Would you say the fitment is just like factory?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grifter
Thanks. Confirmed what I thought, only fix is replacement.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it's the best time for the worst thing to happen lol, we have two left at this sale price...

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=730
Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
Would you say the fitment is just like factory?
Without out doubt Yes! No one looking at my car, up close and personal, would know any different.

I grabbed the roof panel from 6LE at the discounted price, looks like he still has a few left.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Since owning my car, purchased in 2005, I have had 4 sail panels. All replacements were done under warranty. Now my warranty is long gone, unfortunately, and the epoxy is just starting to make its way out AGAIN. Unfortunately, secondly, GM does not have any in stock, not even Vintage Parts. So what's everyone doing doing for this? To my understanding there is no fixing without replacing. I have never seen an aftermarket panel fit like OEM, so this really sucks. Getting very hard to find parts for these cars.
Sounds like the dealer (I'm assuming dealer as you mentioned "warranty") doing these repairs isn't following the proper prep procedure. They shouldn't ever fail again if they are installed properly. I had the roof done on my '02 back in spring of 2008 and it didn't even develop so much as a wave by the time I sold it in 2014 - and that car sat outside every day, usually in plenty of sun. Also, the panels on the mid-'98 and earlier cars don't ever have this problem.

Point being, if installed properly (meaning materials and prep) then it should really last forever. I would avoid having that same dealer body shop do the install if you buy another roof, as it seems they haven't been able to get it right in the past.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

so is it safe to say that 97's do not have this problem?
Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
so is it safe to say that 97's do not have this problem?
That is correct.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

even though I have a 6le cf sail panel coming its good to know. bought it because of the sale price but still not sure if I am going to install it or not, even though I love the look of them. because at the end of it all the day I do want to put a for sale sign on it, it will go back to its stock appearance.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Sounds like the dealer (I'm assuming dealer as you mentioned "warranty") doing these repairs isn't following the proper prep procedure. They shouldn't ever fail again if they are installed properly. I had the roof done on my '02 back in spring of 2008 and it didn't even develop so much as a wave by the time I sold it in 2014 - and that car sat outside every day, usually in plenty of sun. Also, the panels on the mid-'98 and earlier cars don't ever have this problem.

Point being, if installed properly (meaning materials and prep) then it should really last forever. I would avoid having that same dealer body shop do the install if you buy another roof, as it seems they haven't been able to get it right in the past.
I agree with you, most likely not done right. I do live in Florida so my car sees the sun much worse than many others. Really just sucks because I like factory body panels, because of fitment quality, and there does not seem to be one left in the country.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Really just sucks because I like factory body panels, because of fitment quality, and there does not seem to be one left in the country.
That's understandable. I've seen some post-install pictures of the aftermarket panels and they often don't seem to fit perfectly IMO. Having said that, it may be installer error rather than poor panel quality though; FWIW I had an OE panel installed by a GM dealer on my '02 and they didn't get it positioned perfectly, which obviously wasn't the fault of the panel but rather the installers. It was decent work but not excellent, but I couldn't complain too much as they did this for free even though I was out of warranty.

There is always the option of getting a used panel from a mid-'98 or older, but it's a hassle to remove them and there is still the matter of finding an installer who can get it right.

It's quite unfortunate that these cars are plagued with this issue. I'm passively in the market for another 4th gen but this problem is enough of a hassle that the '99+ cars are significantly less desirable to me unless they've already been fixed. As you've discovered though, some of the "fixed" cars weren't fixed properly so there is still a concern with them.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Since at least a few guys have removed roof skins from LT1 cars to use on their 99-02's, could you not remove the OEM panel on any 99-02 and seal the underside with an epoxy primer like the earlier cars? Then re-install and have an oem piece without bubbling issues.

I realize its a complete pita removing and getting all the old adhesive off. But your doing the same thing when sourcing an old LT1 panel, when the only difference between the 2 is mid 98-later cars the panels are not sealed.

When my SS gets repainted Ive got to face this and not looking forward to it at all.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Since at least a few guys have removed roof skins from LT1 cars to use on their 99-02's, could you not remove the OEM panel on any 99-02 and seal the underside with an epoxy primer like the earlier cars? Then re-install and have an oem piece without bubbling issues.
I can't remember if I've seen that tried yet of re-using the original, but the general theory is that the adhesive has soaked into the panel. So no matter how much you scrape/sand/grind, there would still be bad adhesive in the panel.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
I can't remember if I've seen that tried yet of re-using the original, but the general theory is that the adhesive has soaked into the panel. So no matter how much you scrape/sand/grind, there would still be bad adhesive in the panel.

Exactly.

In theory, if you have a '99-'02 that isn't bubbling yet, you might be able to make this work. But just because the bubbles aren't showing on the outside yet doesn't mean that some of the glue hasn't already worked its way into the panel - the bubbles are just the final stage. It's too much work to take the risk IMO.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone had their's replaced in Ohio...I am looking for a body shop whos done this already

Quick Reply: Sail Panel Issue, Again