Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New paint trashed after 6 months of vinyl stripes!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New paint trashed after 6 months of vinyl stripes!!

Well... things just keep going down hill with me and my car. First I get into a wreck then I was forced to take my hugger orange berger stripes off bc i had to get a new bumper. well as i was peeling them off I discovered a perfect imprint of yellow where the stripes once were. I tried everything to get it off including wetsanding and polishing it back out. It looks like I have yellow berger stripes on my brand new paint job. The stripes have only been on for about 6 months max. Im so pissed off and sickened by this whole thing but here is the deal. I took my car to a place to get them put on and god only knows what the hell they used to apply the decal.. whatever it was i think it ruined my paint. Im completely clueless to why this is happening. I hope its not simply bc the sun baked the vinyl onto my paint but i think that is impossible considering I have had many set of stripes on my cars. Im going to go there tomorrow and try to reason them into giving me a new paint job bc this is ridiculous. I bought the stripes from 3rdgendecals.com and never had any problem with their quality so i dont think its them.

heres a before pic.. i can get pics of the carnage tomorrow.. please help!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

How much did your paint job cost, how in depth did you go on paint? Just the Exterior, everything? Car looks good, I'm sorry about the bad luck you've been having lately
Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how it could possibly be the shop that installed the stripes fault... I mean, all you use is soapy water to install them, you don't add any adhesive or anything.

How long after the new paint job did you wait to do the vinyl? Paint has to cure and if the vinyl was put on too early it could have trapped some of the chemicals...

Otherwise it sounds like a bad batch of glue on the vinyl

What part of the car were you taking the stripe off of that wouldn't need to get repainted after the accident anyways?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

no, we just repainted the front bumper and driver fender after the wreck, the hood was not touched in the wreck somehow. anyway, the vinyl was layed after at least a couple of months of the new paint job. I thought it was a good time to install them. But i agree that could be it
Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so are you saying the bumper that is wrecked has the yellow imprint???
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

No i have a brand new bumper on it but everywhere else i took it off has the yellow imprint. im not sure what the shop used to put these stripes on.. it could have been some ammonia or something that ruined my car..
Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You had to get the bumper repainted but took the stripes off the whole car? Why? Maybe im just not following what you are saying.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

a buddy of mine had this same problem. he had a 01-02 monte carlo black with red stripe's and he had his one for a few years and when they faded he tryed to remove them and the paint underneath was faded and looked horible.
i would think the chem's in the glue are the cause maybe a bad batch of glue? post up some pic's. and what grit did you go with the wet sanding?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Ive never heard of a tint or graphics shop using there own adhesive on vinyl stripes or graphics and ive been around alot of graphics shops. I had the rk sport racing stripes on my old 2000 camaro, didnt have a problem removing them. Im guessing it was the new paint thats at fault here. Did you watch them put the stripes on??? usually they just use a spray bottle with soapy water and a squeagee(sp) thing.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, lol i just thought about what you said for like 20 minutes and now i understand. I thought you were saying you just took the stripes off the front bumper. I would try clay barring the car but since you tried wet sanding already it probably won't make a difference. If wet sanding didn't work I'd say it soaked through and needs to be re-painted. Paint was probably too new still.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two best guesses:

1: Is the die of the orange vinyl leached into the pores of the white paint staining the paint.

2: The petroleum products of the decal and/or adhesive discolored the paint.

I have the problem with my 1997 Anniversary Camaro, in a couple of places:

Where the valve stem meets the wheel has a multi colored halo, from yellow to brown.

Where the strut tower meets the frame (in the engine compartment) is turning yellow.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

well i let the car sit out in the hot sun today and it looked like the majority of the yellow kinda "bleached" itself out.. you can barely notice it now. im thinking I did put the vinyl on way to early before the paint actually cured itself..
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Summer
well i let the car sit out in the hot sun today and it looked like the majority of the yellow kinda "bleached" itself out.. you can barely notice it now. im thinking I did put the vinyl on way to early before the paint actually cured itself..

Hopefully that is the case and it is still curing and will still let this stuff rise to the top for you to buff out...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Hopefully that is the case and it is still curing and will still let this stuff rise to the top for you to buff out...
yep thats what im hoping!! Now im petrified to put my orange manta i just recently bought on it bc I dont want it to the same thing
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Summer
yep thats what im hoping!! Now im petrified to put my orange manta i just recently bought on it bc I dont want it to the same thing
Wait till August then do it. That will have been plenty of time. I know waiting sucks, but I would rather wait and make sure my thousands of dollars paint job was okay before my 20 dollar decal
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well now you have a nice outline there for someone to paint the stripes on.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell last year we removed my buddies black stripes he had on for about a year off his white 98 (plenty of time for that paint to have cured) and there was faded yellow still showing on the paint for a while but now we can't even see them, it had to be something in the adhesive
Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
My husband just said that! I would go back and buff the car eventually.

Quick Reply: New paint trashed after 6 months of vinyl stripes!!