Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Home painting a Manta Stripe

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Home painting a Manta Stripe

Here is a question for you guys, am I nuts? The paint on my black SS is shot (well it looks good from 10 feet away) it has so many tiny paint chips it looks like it got fogged by a sandblaster. (127,000 miles in Minnesota will do that)

Since I am a firm believer in “go before show” it will be quite awhile before I collect the funds for a proper paint job and in the meantime I am considering painting a flat black manta stripe on the hood by myself. I have the artistic skills and tools needed but I have never painted a car before.

Any tips or suggestions on a project like this? Is it even possible to do this on a small budget? If it costs too much I’d rather live with it for now and drop the cash on bolt ons.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Preparation is the key. If you will be using an actual paint gun then just remember a few tips. Dont arch the gun or the paint will be light where your pattern starts and stops and heavy in the middle. Pratice on cardboard or something to set your distance. I normally run my paint gun around 38psi and it works fine for me.

Make sure you tape up anything you do not want painting. This is the worst part of painting anything. I HATE TAPING. Everything has to be covered COMPLETELY. Its best to use a razor blade or exacto knife around corners or anything like that. Sand using around a 320 grit sand paper to feather edge the chips so its all smooth. Go back with 1000grit wet/dry and water sand to smooth the 320grit scratches. Prime using a good automotive primer. You can do a guide coat but I dont believe you will need one. Wet sand the primer with 2000grit. Wash it off and make sure to use a rag so you get all the sanding dust off. All thats left is the paint.

I would say you could do it like this for anywhere between $100 - $200 depending on what kinda paint you use. It will not use too much because it is such a small part. These are the same steps I use when I paint anything. Here is a truck I painted a couple months ago using those steps.

Goodluck!!
Kody
Attached Thumbnails Home painting a Manta Stripe-autobody-truck.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

prep, prep, prep, prep!!!!!!! Make time to do it right!!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I really appreciate the tips (also knowing I'm not crazy is nice). As this will be a flat finish is there a paint that you would suggest that can stand alone or is there a flat clear coat I should be using?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

You can do a clear coat with a flattening solvent. If you have a local paint shop, you can call and tell them what you want. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE whatever you do, do not rattle can the flat black. It will be splotchy and ugly. Im not sure if they have a single stage matte black but if they do it will probably be the best way to go. You dont have to worry about clear. If not then you will have to do a matte black base coat and a clear coat with a flattening solvent.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

not to hijack, but if i follow these instructions, and buy a paint gun, ( i have a 220 compressor) can i paint my own car in the garage?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

it is theoretically possible... .haha But you will prep for hours, and most likely you prolly won't be satisfied with your first project, So i wouldn't reccomend if for a nicer vehicle...

maybe just doing one body panel, because you can always strip it down and do it again.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

If your not a pro, you won't have a pro paint job. I say don't waste your time doing it hillbilly style because if its fucked up now, it will still be fucked up afterwards.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by krobinson123
If your not a pro, you won't have a pro paint job. I say don't waste your time doing it hillbilly style because if its fucked up now, it will still be fucked up afterwards.
You have to start somehwere. If you can get a scrap hood or door or something from a junkyard, then get it and practice on it. The only problem with using a garage is dust and the ventilation is not as good. Ive seen people do it and it work perfect. If you are using a garage that has a vent fan, I would go in and blow everything off with a leaf blower while the fan is running. Then, wet down the entire floor with a water hose and paint while the floor is wet. The water will neutralize the dust and less will end up in your paint job. If you dont wet the floor, then when you are spraying the lower parts of the car, the air from from the gun will kick up the dust and it will end up on your paint job. If you are satisfied with the paint after but you still have trash in the paint or a run, then pm me and I can explain how to cut and buff properly to take care of the trash/runs and it will look brand new. You can also cut and buff a car before paint and you would think it had just got a fresh paint job.

Quick Reply: Home painting a Manta Stripe