Notices
Parts Classifieds This an archive of the older parts classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

ARE LS1 short block (bent rod), 317 heads, Reverse split cam, Cloyes adj Timing set +

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ARE LS1 short block (bent rod), 317 heads, Reverse split cam, Cloyes adj Timing set +

Category: Engine - Complete Motors
Price: $1
Part Fits: 93-02 Chevrolet Camaro, 93-02 Pontiac Firebird
Location (State): PA
Item Condition: Used
Engine: LS1/LS6
LS Engine?: Fits LS Engine

**UPDATED THE THREAD and PRICES TO REFLECT THINGS THAT SOLD!!**
Hey all. The time has finally come to sell my old motor. Ill give a brief history of what happened with it, and give all the details I have.

The shortblock is an ARE built motor. It was installed by a member of this board in his 99 camaro back in 2002 I believe. With a cam and MTI heads and a FAST 90 he went low 11's with it through an auto and a strange 12-bolt. Ill post up what the ARE motors were spec'd with.

I swapped this motor into my 86 Trans AM, and it always ran great. A little bit of blow by...but nothing too bad. Took long trips, short trips, but never ran it at the track. I had an unfortunately encounter with a rather large puddle, and due to my intake placement sucked in a little water. The motor was at idle, and shut off instantly. I never tried to crank it, just had it towed. Upon getting all the water out, I found out it had a tight spot while rotating it over. So I let the car sit.

When I pulled it apart, I found that #7 rod had a bend in it. NOTHING on the block got damaged. The "hitch" I was feeling while rotating it is just the small end of the rod binding a bit. It will roll all the way over, just hits a tough spot. Now its out and cleaned up and ready to sell!

Here's what the motor has in it.

- Stock crank polished
- Resized connecting rods
- Ross Custom Nitrous / Boost pistons XL-387's I believe
- Childs and Albert Rings
- Clevite H Series Bearings
- ARP Rod Bolts
- Rotating assembly was fully balanced
- Engine was blueprinted

PDF of what was shown as being included along with price... Its cropped beacuse there were a bunch of phone numbers and other things writting all over the print out.

Thats about all that is important to the existing short block.

In order to run the block, at the VERY least you are going to need a new rod. The pistons look good. After cleaning up the cylinder walls, there is a little staining, and near the top a little pitting. I dont know that it would even effect the ring seal area... A light clean up and new rings would probably get it going... But it was running pretty good for me as it was.

EDIT: Pics of crank journal and removed piston/rod assembly in later posts.
Here are pictures of the whole motor. And then I took pictures of each piston and its respective bore.

Cyl #1

Cyl #3

Cyl #5

Cyl #7 (notice its not at the top of its normal stroke)

Cyl #2

Cyl #4

Cyl #6

Cyl #8

Here is the bent rod from below.

The motor will come with everything you see. Also the cam retainer plate with bolts...not pictured. I have not removed any of the fasteners for the rods or mains. I also never removed the rear cover, which was leak free. To my knowledge, it has less than 40k miles on it. Probably a good deal less.

Here are the heads that Ill throw in with this motor if you want them. They arent the greatest...but I have no use for em. They are 317's off of a 2002 6.0 LQ4. I havent even so much as wiped them down, but they look like they'll clean up easy. The one mounting boss has a chip out of it. But I think you can just put that in the back and it'll be of no matter...

I was thinking $800 for everything pictured above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The cam I have for sale came out of this motor...and I was planning on re-using it, but decided to just get a new stick. It is a Comp Cams 228 224 .588 .581 113 grind. I will post the cam card so you can get all of the specs. not sure on the miles as the previous owner had changed cams a few times I believe. It was a great driving cam though. I always got good MPG and around town it was really docile. It loved to rip up high.

SOLD.

I dont have pictures of...but Im willing to sell my LS1 lifters, trays, and dual spring kit that is currently installed on my heads. Im not 100% sure what springs they are. Whatever dual springs MTI used on their Stage IIe 5.3 heads. You'd get the seats, seals if they're ok, springs, and keepers. Im not sure if locks come with a new kit... if they do you can have them also. They are still on my heads so Ill need a little time to get them removed.

Thinking another $150 for all of that stuff. I can get pictures too if anyone wants.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, the Cloyes Timing set. I dont really want to go with something adjustable since Ill be getting a cam spec'd for my set up. So its for sale. Its a Hex-A-Just set and it looks to be in good condtion. Never had any issues with it. Everything is included and as you see it.

I was thinking ---- for the timing set.

Now if you want everything... Ide do $800out the door and toss in a truck water pump and truck mounts if you want them haha. Ill even stab the cam back in and set the timing chain set to what it was when I removed it.

Everything is clean, oiled up and ready to go to a new home! If any of my prices are out of line, let me know. I will accept offers but Im not in a HUGE hurry to sell yet.

Also...I will not be shipping anything at this point. I would like to have it picked up. If the time comes to ship, Ill let you all know. All the parts are located near Coatesville, PA 19320. My schedule is a little screwy, but I can get out there to meet you pretty much any time.

If you would like to pick the motor up during the day in West Chester, PA, that can be arranged. Also it can be picked up in Norristown, PA during the evenings. Ill need notice though because Ill have to go load it up and borrow a truck/SUV to grab it all.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks.

Justin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ARE Specs.pdf (35.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: pdf
Cam Card.pdf (285.5 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 06-14-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump. You can see lots of videos of the car running on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wholemilk2?feature=mhee
Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump... No offers? If my prices are out of line let me know!!!

I wish I could ship. Between the motor being at my garage 45 minutes away, and having a 11 month old, it doesnt leave me much chance to figure that out (packaging, pickup/dropp off, etc). If anyone has any good advice on shipping...ide listen.

J.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your prices are fair. I'd be interested in the whole thing, if We were closer. The drive would be killer.
btw what year is the block/crank?
Kory
Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know...Im not sure. I think its a 99+. But since the block was worked by ARE, Im not sure. Is there a way to tell via the part number? I never really looked into it.

Let me check and Ill add the information if I can get it. Ill also snag pictures of the lifters and misc parts that I was offering.

Bummer about the distance... Im still looking into how to actually ship something like this. I dont have the time to really build a crate or anything elaborate, and Im afraid the price will be stupid.

Ill get back at ya.

J.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Couple folks were interested in seeing the piston removed from the block. So I did it yesterday. Here are a couple shots of the journal and the piston.

Here is a shot of the lifters and trays that I listed for sale up top as well.

J.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump.

I guess I should mention that Im willing to sell the block, crank, and pistons all separately if someone would want it...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would I be better off separating everything and selling this off as a bare LS1 block, 7 factory resized rods with ARPs, and used Ross pistons?

I only left it together because with a little clean up it coudl be run after replacing the rod I think. Didnt watn to go disturbing the insides if someone wanted to just try to run it. Have a feeling the shipping thing is holding me back maybe.

J.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump... Would really like this stuff gone!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some interest in bits and pieces...

$800 for everything I have left???

PMing those that messaged me..

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 10-17-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: adjusted price to reflect what has sold.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had interest in the pistons (rods), cam, timing set, lifters, and trays.

PMed those interested and have no issue splitting all this up. Just fair warning for anyone hoping to snag it all...

Ill be at the garage on Saturday. So I can pack stuff up and get it shipped out either saturday or Monday..depending how much work I get done on my car while Im there.

J.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cam is sold! Lots of interest in other parts, but no one has jumped. Starting to think about taking all the pistons and rods out of the block to sell things separatly, and sell the block and crank as an assembly. Or even just the bare block..not sure. Just want this stuff gone!!

J.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pistons and rods are now out of the block. I was getting more interest in them by themselves so thought Ide try that. They are going to need fresh rings, a couple of the rings have some odd corrosion, probably from sitting. I dont know anyone that would reuse them anyway. So Im going to remove the rings, and clean the grooves a little. I got some information from Ross about the pistons, so I have some specs on compression height and valve relief CC. Might just make a new for sale thread because this one is drawn out and confusing enough haha.

The crank is still in the crank because I still feel like someone could install pistons and rods and go with it. It spins so nice and end play is still on. I didnt want to go cracking the mains off if someone just wanted the whole thing. I took video of it spinning as well as some pictures of the journals. Ill probably post them in a new thread just to make it simple.

If anyone wants anything...let me know. It'll save me from making a thread about it.

J.

Quick Reply: ARE LS1 short block (bent rod), 317 heads, Reverse split cam, Cloyes adj Timing set +