Notices
Parts Classifieds This an archive of the older parts classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Old 05-18-2016, 01:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Big Brakes - Wilwood

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Brakes - Wilwood

Category: Accessories
Price: $300
Location (State): WI
Item Condition: Brand New
Shipping Information: Item Can be Shipped
LS Engine?: Fits LS Engine

Anyone want big brakes on the cheap?

OK.. So at the beginning of the last spring I spent some time and sat down with a engineer friend of mine that does a ton of road racing. He was fed up with being taxed on expensive rotors that were getting destroyed in a day at the track and wanted a caliper that would take serious abuse and offered massive stopping power in a small package. To meet this criteria we mocked up and designed a radial mount that allows you to used C6 Z51 (13.4") or C6 Z06 (14") factory style rotors. Either Factory pieces or aftermarket stuff like stoptech, DBA, Centric, to keep the cost at a minium for consumables. The mount we made is grossly overbuilt as I have never been happy with the mounts provided by Stoptech or Wilwood, they always seemed chincy to me and I have seen them crack before. This isnt something we were going to risk. So now that winter is here and we have put a solid 500 miles of track time on this setup, i feel comfortable offering it to people that may want it. This is not somthing that I will continue to produce, so when the 6 sets I have are sold, they are gone forever unless I get enough interest that it makes it worth my time to machine some more.

The radial mounts I made allow you to run the rotors mentioned above using a Wilwood FSL6 Caliper. This is true 6 piston, radial mounted caliper that uses a true 20mm thick pad. Pads for these calipers are VERY reasonable as far as price goes, around $100 for the front end for track pads, cheaper for street pads.

Calipers are $230 a piece from summit, lines are $50, pads are $80-120, rotors are $50-??? (sky is the limit, I have been recommending the directional one piece slotted rotors from stop tech for around $120 each)

I charge $300 for the set of front mounts complete with Shims and ARP studs / Nuts.

This essentially gives you a solid and reliable big brake kit for well under $1200 using a good directional slotted rotor but can be cheaper depending on your rotor choice.

Ill post some photos of the bracket and it mocked up on a stock Z51 rotor below. I have 6 sets of these, if you want one, let me know!

They will work on all C5's and C6's or other vehicles with the same brake fitment. if you were considering "upgrading" to C6Z calipers, forget about that, they are junk. Do not set your money on fire like that. The Caliper design is crap, the alignment pins seize in the caliper and will rub the rotor under hard cornering because the hubs flex, the consumables are thin and over priced as well. They are NOT an upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Big Brakes - Wilwood-image.jpeg  
Old 01-09-2016, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These fit f body then?
Old 01-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by taman86
These fit f body then?
If c5 / c6 brakes bolt up to an f body, then yes, they would fit. My understanding is that in order to run corvette brakes on a F-body you need some kind of adapter. So if you already had that adapter, these would bolt right up.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool looking setup.
what size wheels are required for clearance?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WFO_SS
cool looking setup.
what size wheels are required for clearance?
We were able to fit these calipers under a stock 17" front c5z wheel using the 13.4" z51 size rotors as seen in the photo. If you want to run a 14" rotor you would need a 18" wheel.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'm interested but will these fit in my 275/40/17 2002 WS6 ? or will their be all kinds of changes that'll need to be made ?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BD3511
I'm interested but will these fit in my 275/40/17 2002 WS6 ? or will their be all kinds of changes that'll need to be made ?
Pm sent
Old 01-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Up top!

Quick Reply: Big Brakes - Wilwood