Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Issue only when moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issue only when moving

Why is it when you are moving the idle is so high it is like having the cruise contol on? I have an 01 ss w/cam and a few bolt ons, m6 when you are driving the idle is very high but when you come to complete stop the idle decreases slowly to about 1000 which is fine but when you take off again it skyrockets. this is very annoying I can unplug the MAF and the idle is low and it does not do the idle up thing, but does run rich. tried different MAF and still doing the same thing. Oh and the car has been tuned but didnt start doing this until approx 6 months later. PLEASE HELP.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Probably your throttle cracker settings...but, it could be timing related too. Who tuned your car?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Tim @ redline in ST. Louis, is there some kind of hanh held of device that i can get to resolve this myself if so which one?
Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dustnu
Tim @ redline in ST. Louis, is there some kind of hanh held of device that i can get to resolve this myself if so which one?
I'd take it back to him and have him fix it. Not really on the hand held thing. Diablosport is probably the closest thing to a hand held that you could get for help. But, someone would still have to create a custom tune....so, the cost probably wouldn't be justifiable.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Teching In

would that also include the hp tuner. been looking into that also is it user friendly? Redline is about 100 miles from me it is kinda a pain to take it up there every time something happens
Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can get HP Tuners standard system for $499. If you'd like to make small corrections/changes to your tune, get the standard version. The Pro version allows analog input data logging (among other features) for $650. You can always upgrade later.

NO hand-held tuner offers the adjustability that HP Tuners does. Apples and oranges. And at $499, HPT barely costs more than any hand-held on the market.

If you buy it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. It opens a whole new dimension to the love-affair you have with your car.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it when you are moving the idle is so high it is like having the cruise contol on? I have an 01 ss w/cam and a few bolt ons, m6 when you are driving the idle is very high but when you come to complete stop the idle decreases slowly to about 1000 which is fine but when you take off again it skyrockets. this is very annoying I can unplug the MAF and the idle is low and it does not do the idle up thing, but does run rich. tried different MAF and still doing the same thing. Oh and the car has been tuned but didnt start doing this until approx 6 months later. PLEASE HELP.
If it didn't do it for 6 months, and you haven't changed anything on the car since then, I'd be looking for a vacuum leak...
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Teching In

I have checked everywhere for vaccum leaks but so far nothing.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dan@masportspeedshop
You can get HP Tuners standard system for $499. If you'd like to make small corrections/changes to your tune, get the standard version. The Pro version allows analog input data logging (among other features) for $650. You can always upgrade later.

NO hand-held tuner offers the adjustability that HP Tuners does. Apples and oranges. And at $499, HPT barely costs more than any hand-held on the market.

If you buy it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. It opens a whole new dimension to the love-affair you have with your car.
if I go ahead and the pro version can a newbe use it and still do the small changes also
Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Smile

Knock on wood.... I think I might have found the prob, I turned the idle down by moving the idle set screw and everything SEEMS to be good i'm gonna drive it some more (weather pemiting) and see how thing go. I will let you guys know how things go as I get to drive the car.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

Knock on wood.... I think I might have found the prob, I turned the idle down by moving the idle set screw and everything SEEMS to be good i'm gonna drive it some more (weather pemiting) and see how thing go. I will let you guys know how things go as I get to drive the car.
This reduction of airflow... if it did not use to do this (month or so after tuning) indicates the high possibility of an un-metered leak. Rather than fixing the leak, this method reduces the airflow from from a different point. I have seen TB screws loosen up, but never tighten on their own.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Frost
This reduction of airflow... if it did not use to do this (month or so after tuning) indicates the high possibility of an un-metered leak. Rather than fixing the leak, this method reduces the airflow from from a different point. I have seen TB screws loosen up, but never tighten on their own.
Would porting the t/b cause this, it didnt do it right after I did it it took a few weeks after that, but I also dont drive the car everyday
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

Would porting the t/b cause this, it didnt do it right after I did it it took a few weeks after that, but I also dont drive the car everyday
that's entirely possible!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Not at all in my experience. Unless the reinstal is leaking.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

I wasn't saying that porting itself was responsible, just that without adjustment after a procedure like that...
Old 12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

I'm having the same issue with my car. I put my stock unported throttle body back on and the car was fine for about 15 mins of driving, then problem came back. Like you I can at all find a vacuum leak, only thing I can think is that my mail order tune is off, so I'm saving for a cam and a get the car street/dyno tuned.