Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont rev past 2.5k rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont rev past 2.5k rpm's

just finished up my rx7/ls1 swap. it is a 01 camaro ss engine and 6 speed tranny. it starts and idles. but wont rev up, almost seems like there is a rev limiter.....any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Launching!

here is a video of what happens. where it sounds like im just reving and letting off, my foot is still on the floor when it cuts out.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a buddy here with an rx-7 that he just put a turbo motor in and it is doing practically the same thing. It won't rev past like 3k rpms. If he tries to, it just dies. I know this isn't useful to you, but good luck man.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Have you checked DTCs?

Look for Crank Position Relearn.

Being that this is a new motor / pcm setup it is very likely that you will need to perform a CPR.

TechII, EFI Live, HPT will all do this function.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Launching!

its not a "new motor" it has 40k miles on it. but the pcm is not the same that the engine/trans orig had with it. bought them seperatley.. and what is a dtc?

Originally Posted by Doc
Have you checked DTCs?

Look for Crank Position Relearn.

Being that this is a new motor / pcm setup it is very likely that you will need to perform a CPR.

TechII, EFI Live, HPT will all do this function.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
I've got a buddy here with an rx-7 that he just put a turbo motor in and it is doing practically the same thing. It won't rev past like 3k rpms. If he tries to, it just dies. I know this isn't useful to you, but good luck man.
does he know why? mine does not die. just goes back to idle.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

What I meant by "new" is the information stored in the pcm that relates the relationship btw the sensor in the side of the block and the reluctor wheel. This information combined with the cam position sensor which relates TDC lets the pcm know where everything is at in time.

If the pcm does not know where the crank is at, it will allow a start but won't run all out until it gets the data.

DTC- Displayed Trouble Code

P1336- Crankshaft Position System Varation not learned.
Any "new" pcm and or motor relationship usually requires a re-learn.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Launching!

thank you. the guy is coming this weekend to help tune/relearn the car.

hopefully that works
thanks!

Originally Posted by Doc
What I meant by "new" is the information stored in the pcm that relates the relationship btw the sensor in the side of the block and the reluctor wheel. This information combined with the cam position sensor which relates TDC lets the pcm know where everything is at in time.

If the pcm does not know where the crank is at, it will allow a start but won't run all out until it gets the data.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nahh man, he has no clue why. I think it may be a fuel delivery problem, but I don't know alot about rotary motors except that they had a concept vette called the aerovette back in the day that was a quad rotor 420hp engine. Never went into production though. Anyway, back on the subject, he and I are trying to figure it out but no such luck as of yet. Hope you get that thing going, love seeing the rx-7/ls1s.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc

Doc
I'm the guy that set his PCM up for him. I used tunerCat OBD2 to do it. Is there any way to get the PCM to do a crank learn, without a scanner? I don't think Tunercat has the option of telling it to do a crank learn. By the way, he doesn't have the MIL hooked up, but when I stop out to see him next weekend, i'll take the Snapon scannrer along to check for codes.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Launching!

ill have the mil light hooked up. i just need to hook up 1 wire for it to work.
i also came accross a thread that had the same problem as me. turned out to be the tps sensor

Last edited by awd-rwd racer; 01-05-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Could be TPS. You could do a TPS relearn/reset without a scantool.

If you inadvertantly put power on the car with the TPS not hooked up you would get a TPS fail potetionally casusing symptoms like you are observing.

With the TPS (and all other sensors) hooked up, pull the neg lead on the battery and wait a few. Plug the neg lead back on. This should reset everything. If you have a persistent fault then look twoards wiring or the Crank Position Relearn-of which at that point you will need a scantool. I think some Snap-On scantools can do the relearn, obviously a Tech II can. EFI Live or HPT too.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Doc

not trying to be a dousche but dtc stands for diagnostic trouble code
Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doc
Could be TPS. You could do a TPS relearn/reset without a scantool.

If you inadvertantly put power on the car with the TPS not hooked up you would get a TPS fail potetionally casusing symptoms like you are observing.

With the TPS (and all other sensors) hooked up, pull the neg lead on the battery and wait a few. Plug the neg lead back on. This should reset everything. If you have a persistent fault then look twoards wiring or the Crank Position Relearn-of which at that point you will need a scantool. I think some Snap-On scantools can do the relearn, obviously a Tech II can. EFI Live or HPT too.
ill try that. thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Teching In

recheck all your wires and sensors (engine to ecu), also you're timing could be off which is what it sounds like to me. If you rev your engine up and force gasoline to mix on the exhaust stroke rather than the intake stroke it would cause it to "die." Recheck and make sure the camshaft is at TDC (top dead center) as well as the crank. Even if you are off by a tooth or half a tooth, it can cause this. First drain and remove the radiator, and be sure to using something to plug up the transmission line. After that, remove the belt (on an ls1 there should be a tensioner on the left side looking from the front of the car at the serpentine belt, all you need for that is a 3/8ths drive ratchet.) After taking off the serpentine belt, You have to take off the harmonic balancer (which is a real pain in the ***), go to advance autoparts or something and buy a harmonic balancer puller-set or put a deposit on one and when you are done with it get your money back. Then there should be 8 bolts around the timing chain cover and two coming up from the bottom of it (the two bolts on the bottom are coming from the oil pan). Be really easy on the timing chain cover because its made of some really cheap pot metal and be sure when you put it back on you don't use too much force or it will crack. You want the camshaft notch at 6 'oclock and the crankshaft notch at 12' oclock perfectly lined up. You also want the #1 piston at TDC. To do this take out the first spark plug on the right cylinder head and use something like a long thin piece of wood and when it comes all the way up you will know you are at TDC. Then just make sure the camshaft notch is at 6 oclock and the crankshaft is at 12 oclock. After all this before you put it back together spin the engine over by hand (put the harmonic balancer on with the bolt without any of the covers or anything) and spin it clock-wise by hand. The camshaft should do two rotations while the crank only does one. They should both meet pointing towards each other once you have spun it over. If everything appears to match up and check out okay, put everything back together in the reverse order of which you took it off and when you put the harmonic balancer back on take a peice of wood and put it vertical too it and beat it back on there (i hate that part). While you're at it you might as well replace the camshaft with a performance cam, replace your head gasket, get some cylinder head work done while the cylinder heads are off the car and hell throw in a performance oil pump in there or something. Hope this helps. Good luck (and sorry if i repeated myself or something, its really late here, goodluck).
Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I almost hate to mention it.. but if it idles good and doesn't throw any codes and with good fuel pressure. It sounds like your suffocating it, if you have a cat on it, check to see if its blocked up... Ive seen it happen before and it sounds like what you're describing. Once again I'm just throwing out an idea that you might overlook cause I know EXACTLY what its like to be in your place. Good luck man
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by craze4speed
not trying to be a dousche but dtc stands for diagnostic trouble code
You are absolutely correct! Tired. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

ur welcome
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Needing to do the crank re-learn and setting P1336 won't keep it from reving. Sounds like you missed a rev limiter. Engine swaps often get you on the VSS error rev limiter, or the clutch pedal down rev limiter. Some '01 M6 cals have them set that low. If you want to email me the cal and I'll take a look. Might be able to fix it for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Needing to do the crank re-learn and setting P1336 won't keep it from reving. Sounds like you missed a rev limiter. Engine swaps often get you on the VSS error rev limiter, or the clutch pedal down rev limiter. Some '01 M6 cals have them set that low. If you want to email me the cal and I'll take a look. Might be able to fix it for you.
if anyone wants to look at it id be happy to email it to them.....

Quick Reply: wont rev past 2.5k rpm's