PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount wideband o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount wideband o2 sensor?

The car is a 99 TA with a tsp or y-pipe and I was wondeing if I should install the sensor right after the Y or where?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my wide band in the passenger side collector, a few inches from the location of the narrow band is. I am running out-of-business FLP long tube headers.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine in the catback, this way it gets both banks instead of just one.
I had an issue with putting it in one side of the exhaust,
AFR reading would swing wildly.
under the passenger rear seat, there is grommet that you can run the sensor through and keep the controller in the car.
Name:  LC-1.jpg
Views: 4729
Size:  165.6 KB
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that idea, Mike. I've been looking for a good way to get the cable in the car w/o drilling holes. Good job.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Cylinder 7 is the lean cylinder on a ls1. Cylinder 7 is on drivers side 1-3-5-7. I would put it on the drivers side just behind the narrowband o2. If its in the y then you read both banks and the drivers side bank could still be lean. If you have it in the lean bank, and you tune off it, then the passenger bank is either going to be the same or richer, just my 2 cents, Josh
Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Cylinder 7 is the lean cylinder on a ls1. Cylinder 7 is on drivers side 1-3-5-7. I would put it on the drivers side just behind the narrowband o2. If its in the y then you read both banks and the drivers side bank could still be lean. If you have it in the lean bank, and you tune off it, then the passenger bank is either going to be the same or richer, just my 2 cents, Josh
It doesn't matter, you can't tune bank1/bank2 independently
with the stock PCM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I believe what he means is to tune the one bank (that has a tendency to run lean) correctly, and run the other bank a bit fat. Rather than have the one bank run a bit lean and run the risk of burning a valve.
I can't disagree, as I would rather run a bit rich than a bit lean.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shoemike
It doesn't matter, you can't tune bank1/bank2 independently
with the stock PCM.
You can't tune individuals banks, but it's better to have pass. side too rich than have the driver side to lean. Though there's very little difference.

Anyways, regardless of which side you pick it's best to have the sensor as close to the collector as possible for more accurate results. If you're just doing it for tuning purposes and not a permanent install just use one of the existing o2 bungs. If it's a permanent install the put it a few inches behind the existing one.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually the instructions for the LC1 tell you to place the bung
3' from the end of the tail pipe unless you are running cats.

I could not get a steady reading from one side of the exhaust so placed the
sensor in a common point for both sides.
This probably was because of the cam.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

The further away from the engine they are, the longer it take for the exhaust to get to it. Meaning if you were to have a lean spike, by the time the o2 sensor reads it you'll be at a different rpm. Possibly adding fuel to where it's not needed. All be it there is an extremely small difference in time, but there is a difference. Not to mention the further down the pipe you are the more chances of getting leaks from pipe connections.

Just because the reading wasn't steady doesn't mean that it wasn't right.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by shoemike
Actually the instructions for the LC1 tell you to place the bung
3' from the end of the tail pipe unless you are running cats.

I could not get a steady reading from one side of the exhaust so placed the
sensor in a common point for both sides.
This probably was because of the cam.

Use the supplied log works software and tweak the analog out settings to slow down the update. Get a bit more averaging this way and it helps.

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
The further away from the engine they are, the longer it take for the exhaust to get to it. Meaning if you were to have a lean spike, by the time the o2 sensor reads it you'll be at a different rpm. Possibly adding fuel to where it's not needed. All be it there is an extremely small difference in time, but there is a difference. Not to mention the further down the pipe you are the more chances of getting leaks from pipe connections.

Just because the reading wasn't steady doesn't mean that it wasn't right.

This is definitely the case. At WOT your recorded AFR error on engines that come up decently will almost always be off by a cell anyway, but at least your cruise will be close. WOT tuning on VE means hand-editing cells and looking at logs to see the correlation between injector humps and dips; the wideband's reading will match the humps and dips but always lag pretty significantly.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
i know this is an older thread, but i just got an aem wideband and i have to work with stock manifolds and cats...
on a 99 the cat runs right up there against the manifold on the driver's side.
i'd rather not pay an exhaust shop to remove the driver's side manifold to get a bung welded on (it would be cheaper to buy new high-flow cats and have the bung welded on the extra bit of pipe), but i need the bung on before the cats.
how much leaner could the driver's side bank be? it would be much easier in my case to weld it in on the passenger side, but i'm wary of taking any chances wiith a 150shot of nitrous.

what would you guys suggest?

here's some photos of the driver's side to show you what i'm working with.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

You'll be fine having it after the car in the place of the stock rear O2. If you had a dyno tune the wideband would be in the tailpipe, at least you'll have better reading than that.

And you should always tune nitrous by the plugs, not by a wideband.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You'll be fine having it after the car in the place of the stock rear O2. If you had a dyno tune the wideband would be in the tailpipe, at least you'll have better reading than that.

And you should always tune nitrous by the plugs, not by a wideband.
all that rear o2 does is tell if the cat is going bad, right? i can tune that out. i've read where it is supposedly .5 leaner after the cat, is this a good rule of thumb?

would you recommend wideband o2 after cat on driver's side over wideband o2 before cat on passenger's side?

also.. its a huge pain in the ***, but i have checked plugs after spray and timing looks good, but i'm thinking its still rich.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
all that rear o2 does is tell if the cat is going bad, right? i can tune that out. i've read where it is supposedly .5 leaner after the cat, is this a good rule of thumb?

would you recommend wideband o2 after cat on driver's side over wideband o2 before cat on passenger's side?

also.. its a huge pain in the ***, but i have checked plugs after spray and timing looks good, but i'm thinking its still rich.
Yeah that's right. Just turn the codes off and you're good there. The wideband should read relatively the same after the cat.

Either side is fine. Still applies that a lot of the time the driver side is a little leaner.

On the nitrous just turn the timing down and get your fuel right. Just change the plug that is easiest to get to and when it gets close then check them all and make sure they're all pretty consistent and adjust accordingly. Keep an eye on your wideband just for a reference number to compare run to run.

Quick Reply: Where to mount wideband o2 sensor?