PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting OBDII from 2001 SS, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Deleting OBDII from 2001 SS, possible?

Hey guys. First off I want to say I know absolutely nothing about this, but I just wanted to ask this.

I'm tired of my car being a check engine monster, and I'm consistently throwing codes for emissions stuff that makes it a PITA to get inspected despite the fact that the car is meticulously cared for. It has LT Headers, and I'm thinking the O2's are what's causing the problem, but in general the whole thing is a pain in the ***.

Is it possible to just rip the entire PCM out of the car and get some type of standalone system to completely eliminate the emissions bullshit? Eventually I would also like to run a Racelogics traction unit also, and those things tend to not like OBDII cars.

Anyway, like I said I know absolutely nothing about it so I'm just wondering if it's possible. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Teching In

My ses comes and goes. Its always the o2s but usually the light comes on when the weather is cold.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toadman1
My ses comes and goes. Its always the o2s but usually the light comes on when the weather is cold.
I just got done reading your two page thread. It's driving me nuts and I'm just ready to rip those bitches out.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 AM
11 Second Club

Woah woah calm down buddy Pick up a copy of HP tuners, hook it up, and turn off the check engine light for ANYTHING you want!!!! Dont waste your money on a stand alone computer when the GM computer will do everything you want it to
Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
Woah woah calm down buddy Pick up a copy of HP tuners, hook it up, and turn off the check engine light for ANYTHING you want!!!! Dont waste your money on a stand alone computer when the GM computer will do everything you want it to
I am with him. DO NOT remove the factory pcm. I bet if you replaced it it would not meet inspection any more, plus with HP Tuners, you can do any and every thing with the GM PCM nthat you can do with the aftermarket ones. Plus HP Tuners complete package is less then 700 dollars. Sounds like alot but its way less then what an aftermarket PCM will cost you. It is what all the tuning shops use to tune these cars with. I love mine.

Also are you running the factory O2 sensor? If so that is a big part of your problem. With LT headers you need to use Bosch 13111 O2 sensors.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mail order tuning on sale for $99.95 + S/H right now... that would fix you up: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-may-27th.html
Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Teching In

I just got done reading your two page thread. It's driving me nuts and I'm just ready to rip those bitches out.
It did the same too. Sometimes I'm ready to rip the light out when I see it.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Also are you running the factory O2 sensor? If so that is a big part of your problem. With LT headers you need to use Bosch 13111 O2 sensors.
I just changed out my drivers to a Bosch (have no clue if that it) since its the O2 that throws the code. My passenger side is the orginal one and have had no ses lights from that side.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any programming software will work for you.

That or get a custom tune.

The Depth of the o2 sensor in the stream will effect things also. If you get codes, sometimes you just have to shave a little off the o2 sensor bung to allow the sensor to go more into the exhaust stream. Some sensors are longer than others.

EFILive, hptuners, tunercat, Jet, ls1edit, will all do what you need to do. It would be a MUCH easier way to go from your choice of wanting to pull out the factory computer and go aftermarket......