Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handheld tuners vs Hp tuners software

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Handheld tuners vs Hp tuners software

Just wanted to know would you get more hp and torque from say hptuner software vs handheld tuners. What are advantages and disadvantages thanks??
Old 06-05-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HUGE learning curve with HP tuners
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
HUGE learning curve with HP tuners
That statement is 100% false!

With HPT you can order "Can tunes" that you just load!

Some people say that the HPT Repository is like the old Napster.

Say a guy pays $1200 for a dyno tune. Then he buys HPT and pulls that tune and post it in HPT Repository Now everyone has it.

HPT has some unique functions that allow you to steal tuning information.

Now back to the "Can Tunes". I know many tuners that will sell you an HPT "Can Tune". They aren't special and very generic.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CalEditor
If its anything like EFIlive... There is a big learning curve...
Prob isnt like EFIlive, it's cheaper lol.
You can also upload tunes from Holdencrazy.com and load them into the car. Kinda like HPT?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your not a complete moron and arent afraid of computers, hp tuners is the way to go, if you are a complete moron, dont get a hand held, go to a local tuner. hand helds suck and they just make money from people who dont know what they are doing, also, hp tuners is so easy to learn.... lol. hell, if you buy hp tuners, you can download diablo sport and hypertech tunes lmao
Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 AM
11 Second Club

haha just for laughs we pulled my buddies superchips tune and compared to his stock.....pe was leaned out a little and like 2 degrees of timing was added in the tune....handhelds are a waste i know ive been there go hpt or efi live and dont look back...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Just wanted to know would you get more hp and torque from say hptuner software vs handheld tuners. What are advantages and disadvantages thanks??
It depends on what a person wants,

Both have their place. Some hand-helds are quite basic and do enough for some.

Other hand-helds are quite sophisticated and offer two or three different levels of tune (for different fuels or different types of driving i.e. towing, etc).
They generally also are capable of removing a speed-limiter, simple diagnostic checks etc.
Some even offer different levels of trans calibrations and can raise shift-point rpm and firm up the shifts also.
Most recent ones now can be up-dated through the company's website and some even offer being able to scan, clear DTC's and do limited logging.

Whereas the tuning software such as EFI-Live and HP-Tuners etc, is seriously sophisticated and quite daunting to anyone, until some familiarity with use comes. It takes years to understand these properly as they are so complete in their abilities.
Even then, a lot of people can still have some kind trouble with the equipment.

Different strokes. They all have their place and it's nice to have such a comprehensive and wide range to choose from.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

will a handheld tuner give the same hp and tq as with hp tuner or a software??
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Dont do hand held, its a huge waste and in 90% of the cases it will not give you the same power as HPT or EFIlive. With HPT you can tune every aspect that can possibly be tuned in ur car.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always been a DIY guy but didn't feel confident in tuning my own car and had it dyno tuned by a very well respected shop, I was not impressed with the tune as it had alot of drivability issues and eventually decided to invest in HP Tuners, this was back in 04 I believe, tuned my own car with alot of help from the guys on here and haven't looked back. As stated you don't need to be a genius to tune however it helps to devote alot of time to LEARNING how to tune. There are alot more resources now than there were then.

-Bill
Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the handheld is really that bad if you can find a used one. It seems they really help the automatic cars more than the manual because of the tranny settings. I used to run a superchips in my corvette but now have EFI live. It takes a long time to figure it all out. If you are low on money and don't have the time to learn then get a handheld tuner but if ya have the extra money and want and have the time to learn about tuning get the tuning software. I prefer EFI Live because it seems to be easier to locate tables and it has a nice description about what each table does. HP is probably just as good but when I had it on my desktop I had a hard time navigating my way through it.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

what the **** is the matter with people lol... why is it handheld vs hp tuners... why cant it be learn to tune myself or take it to a shop... seriously, taking it to a shop is usually about as much as a handheld tuner and it does amazing things! or frost on here does mail order tunes for 100$? holy **** thats cheap.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

how can i contact frost?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

foff667 and mvvette97 made several excellent points. I could not agree more with them. I, too, started off with a hand held tuner and the MAF translator. (dont laugh you guys, this was 2000) I quickly learned that I needed to tune it myself with a full tuner. At the time, the only game in town was LS1Edit. I am still using that same tuner today.

corvet786c: you are down in St.Lucie,,, feel free to come up to Mims, we can talk car tuning.

Last edited by Doc99SS; 06-16-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CalEditor

With HPT you can order "Can tunes" that you just load!

Some people say that the HPT Repository is like the old Napster.

Say a guy pays $1200 for a dyno tune. Then he buys HPT and pulls that tune and post it in HPT Repository Now everyone has it.

HPT has some unique functions that allow you to steal tuning information.

Now back to the "Can Tunes". I know many tuners that will sell you an HPT "Can Tune". They aren't special and very generic.
No offense...but if you're just going to go into the tune repository, and try to find something that sounds right, and load it into a car...you're not a tuner, you're just risking engine damage every time you click "flash". If you're going to ACTUALLY tune a car, there is a learning curve...though I wouldn't consider it huge...it does take some research.

If you're just looking to make minor changes, fix your speedometer, turn of skip shift...a handheld could be fine, but PC based software gives you FAR FAR FAR more control of the computer.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
No offense...but if you're just going to go into the tune repository, and try to find something that sounds right, and load it into a car...you're not a tuner, you're just risking engine damage every time you click "flash". If you're going to ACTUALLY tune a car, there is a learning curve...though I wouldn't consider it huge...it does take some research...
The only thing those repositories should be used for is as a reference. You can do a compare vs. stock vs. your tune and see what they changed, then disect those changes and understand what that particular tuner was doing and why. This could give you some insight as to what you might want to change in your own tune.
To just load their tune into your PCM is to invite the "grenade" syndrome into your garage.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
foff667 and mvvette97 made several excellent points. I could not agree more with them. I, too, started off with a hand held tuner and the MAF translator. (dont laugh you guys, this was 2000) I quickly learned that I needed to tune it myself with a full tuner. At the time, the only game in town was LS1Edit. I am still using that same tuner today.

corvet786c: you are down in St.Lucie,,, feel free to come up to Mims, we can talk car tuning.
Yes I live in St Lucie Co. To be totally honest. I dont care what people say or think, but I am gettin heads and cam on my car soon. My handheld seems to do the job, but I know a profess tuner like hp tuners etc will extract a little more hp out of car. My question is how much more hp can I get out of the car compared to software than handheld. I have the crane vinci hh. Ho yea I cant see spending $500.00 now on a tune I am broke from all these mods. Any advice??
Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Yes I live in St Lucie Co. To be totally honest. I dont care what people say or think, but I am gettin heads and cam on my car soon. My handheld seems to do the job, but I know a profess tuner like hp tuners etc will extract a little more hp out of car. My question is how much more hp can I get out of the car compared to software than handheld. I have the crane vinci hh. Ho yea I cant see spending $500.00 now on a tune I am broke from all these mods. Any advice??
Tuning isn't always about max hp, for some its about the best et for others about the best mpg and for others about keeping their combination running for years safely.

Buying a heads/cam package slapping it on and then hoping your handheld is going to throw in a tune that will be safe without knowing your actual afr via wideband is a bit silly to me. There is a point that you need to actually tune the vehicle for what the vehicle wants not what you hope will work, you are at that point.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes true, this is when I take my car to a dyno and measure the AFR. etc. My handheld has fuel adjusments +/- and +/- spark advance etc.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While there is no question that a full tuning suite has its place, handhelds are incredibly handy in many cases.

For starters, not all of us have the pleasure of driving a newer car that is under warranty, but if you do, having the ability to flash the car back to stock for a trip to the dealer can be a huge help, and you're not going to accomplish that with a mail order PCM tune. Same deal if it is tuned locally, if you have to hunt down the tuner each time you need to go back to stock, it can be frustrating.

Also, I see truck guys always looking to switch octane levels, and that is too easy to do with a handheld, as well as things like changing tire size or gear ratios...

There is always a place for custom tuning, any time you increase airflow on a stock motor custom tuning is required (be glad we dont drive Mustangs, cant add a CAI to a new stang without dialing in the MAF curve). While there are several ways to accomplish said tuning, many people do not seem to be aware of the fact that we offer custom tuning software (CMR), which can be used to create custom tunes, which can then be loaded right to your current Predator handheld and flashed to the car. You can even still make adjustments to the tunes through the adjustable parameters in the Predator.

All in all, they are much more useful than some people give them credit for....oh, and lets not forget the fact that with a handheld, you can read and clear codes, or datalog without the need to carry a PC back and forth to the car....

Thanks
Mike

Quick Reply: Handheld tuners vs Hp tuners software