PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to drive without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK to drive without tune?

I installed my ms3 cam/valvesprings/pushrods/oil pump/double roller chain and FAST 90 intake and tb this weekend. I want to wait until I get my converter in to get it tuned. Do I need to worry about driving it around before the tune? I dont want to lean it out or anything..... I drove it around a little bit, but im afraid to get on it..... Should I be?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you should be afraid. If all of those parts and the money spent on them doesn't make more horsepower than your old tune was setup for than you just pissed away a bunch of money.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Well im sure it will make more power.... especially once tuned. I just want to know if the stock tuning will compensate with fuel enough to not tear anything up....... I mean all I plan on doing is cruising it around town before I get it tuned, but if I needed to could I punch it from a 30 roll and not hurt anything?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wait to get it tuned to drive WOT. Easy cruising is fine.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM

Man the curiosity is going to kill me.... I guess I shoud have just done it all at one time.... now I have to wait two weeks till ill get a chance to install my converter.... then line up some tuning....
Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ninetynineta
Man the curiosity is going to kill me.... I guess I shoud have just done it all at one time.... now I have to wait two weeks till ill get a chance to install my converter.... then line up some tuning....

Get Frost to do a mail order tune for you
Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 PM
FormerVendor

Should have put the converter in before the cam. That cam is going to positively suck butt on the stock converter even if you manage to get it to idle without pushing your car through the red lights/stop signs.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If it were me, I wouldn't even bother driving the car till you at least get a base tune in the PCM. Don't be cheap, at the very least get a mail order tune to get you up and running.

With the stock tune, your VERY rich on start up (due to the stock VE table) till you get to closed loop mode.

Your idle needs to be raised at least 200-250 rpms, your base running airflow is too low and you need your timing adjusted in the idle/low rpm regions.