PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diagnostic port not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnostic port not working

yeah... I plugged in a code scanner tool into the OBDII diagnostic port and the reader gave me an error and said it was unable to connect to the car...

any ideas on what could be causing this?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

I could be WAY off base here but this happened to a friend of mine with an lt1 car. And I think the problem was a blown cig. lighter fuse. I no I no it sounds dumb but thats whats coming to me, and isn't hard to check.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BadBandit69
I could be WAY off base here but this happened to a friend of mine with an lt1 car. And I think the problem was a blown cig. lighter fuse. I no I no it sounds dumb but thats whats coming to me, and isn't hard to check.
lmfao... my buddy just told me the same thing... only GM...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the scanner would not power up, that would be the fuse. If it powers up, the fuse is OK, the problem is normlly the connector needing cleaned.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, cig fuse.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 AM
9-Second Club

If the fuse is blown, the scanner won't give an error message, simply won't power up. Blown fues = no power to the scanner. Won't turn on.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If the fuse is blown, the scanner won't give an error message, simply won't power up. Blown fues = no power to the scanner. Won't turn on.
the connector really aint gunked up... any ideas?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may wanna check the wires to the splice pack
Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, Check all fuses.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by rebelyell
the connector really aint gunked up... any ideas?
It doesn't have to look "gunked up". Our '95 Camaro r&d car needs it cleaned about half the time the Tech2 is plugged in. Many older cars do that. Spray some brake parts cleaner, TV tuner cleaner, etc, in the connector and plug & unplug the scanner several times. Gently blow the excess cleaner out, and try it. I see that all the time. If the scanner powers up and the car will start, it ain't gonna be a fuse.

Good luck, Ed
Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

im having the same exact problem with my 94 LT1. i get a cant connect the pcm error message. this is stopping me from uploading new tunes.

so brake parts cleaner is sfae to use on the cable and my obd1 port?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by C_Rules
im having the same exact problem with my 94 LT1. i get a cant connect the pcm error message. this is stopping me from uploading new tunes.

so brake parts cleaner is sfae to use on the cable and my obd1 port?
No problem using it for that. Hold a shop towel under the port and don't spray a lot. I don't know what it would do it the dye in the carpet, probably won't help it. I've used it for that a lot. If you have go buy something, NAPA has a spray Electronic Contact Cleaner which may be better.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

sprayed it and still nothing. can't connect to the pcm. any other ideas? problem with the harness?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

anybody else got anyideas with this. the port still isnt wokring. ive tried swapping pcms, using a different scanner, spraying the ports with cleaner and nothing. car is running like crap when it wasnt before. could it be that i had some type of short which fried a couple of things?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
9-Second Club

anybody else got anyideas with this. the port still isnt wokring. ive tried swapping pcms, using a different scanner, spraying the ports with cleaner and nothing. car is running like crap when it wasnt before. could it be that i had some type of short which fried a couple of things?
Got me. What kind of scanners are you trying to use? Sounds like maybe a wiring problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

i was using my laptop with datamaster. then i had my mechanic try to use his obd1 scanner (not sure of the name). i dont know what happened but here is a list of the events:

1) hooked up my latptop to the car and logged it for like 20 minutes
2) came home turned it off and looked over the log
3) made some changes to the tune, went to hit program pcm button but by mistake hit change vin. i canceled out of that and tried to upload a tune and there was no communication between the pcm and the my laptop
4) tried to turn on the car and it wouldnt
5) tried a different pcm and the car didnt turn on but the fans now turned on with the switch engaged
6) swapped back to the old ecm but fans were still coming on
7) had my mechanic come over turns out my fuel pump relay (inside the car by kick pannel) wires were damaged
8) fixed the wires, car turns on and runs, but the service engine light is on, has no low power under 2K, idles high and is running pig rich.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Default Just read a similar thread

Check this out, may offer some help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...l#post12220602
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 AM
9-Second Club

3) made some changes to the tune, went to hit program pcm button but by mistake hit change vin. i canceled out of that and tried to upload a tune and there was no communication between the pcm and the my laptop
Don't ever stop one from programming. You probably corrupted the PCM, and it may or may not be recoverable without pulling the chips, reflashing them, then soldering them back in. Also, the fans running all the time tells you it's likely the PCM. Some times you can recover one on the bench if you have a bench-top harness, when you can't do it in the car.

Btw guys, the 1994 F body does not have an OBD2-style connector, which means it won't be a fuse.

Don't ever "cancell out" once you start programming one.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 09-16-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Forgot something...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Don't ever stop one from programming. You probably corrupted the PCM, and it may or may not be recoverable without pulling the chips, reflashing them, then soldering them back in. Also, the fans running all the time tells you it's likely the PCM. Some times you can recover one on the bench if you have a bench-top harness, when you can't do it in the car.

Don't ever "cancell out" once you start programming one.
i went to hit the program button but hit the change vin accidentally. then the make sure switch is on box popped up. That box has the ok and a cancel option. So i hit cancel the computer had not started to reflash or program yet. I tried another pcm and no luck either. my mechanic went thorugh the harness and said it was fine and i should try another pcm. i was a ble to get a third one to see if it will communicate.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

well third times a charm new pcm works and communicates.

little weird thing though. when my original pcm wouldn't communicate the fans wouldn't turn on. bought another one and as soon as i turned the car on the fans would turn back on. when i put the original back and it started turning the fans on too. weird wasn't doing that until i put in the other one.

Quick Reply: diagnostic port not working