Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little lean? Too much timing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Little lean? Too much timing?

408 car, big cam, tfs heads........This motor should have TR56's in it, correct?

Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to make a pull and shut the car before you lift. (a new plug, not some **** you've been driving on for a year)
Then pull a plug before you start it back up.

Then post the pic and we can help. Should have TR6's in it at least.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
You have to make a pull and shut the car before you lift. (a new plug, not some **** you've been driving on for a year)
Then pull a plug before you start it back up.

Then post the pic and we can help. Should have TR6's in it at least.
Thanks Wayne. Unfortunately, the only pulls I can make are on the street. I've got to find someone here in Oklahoma City with HP Tuners so I can log some stuff and send the file to Jeff. Or find a good tuner around here. No luck so far.

I'm gonna buy some TR6's regardless to throw in there.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3
Thanks Wayne. Unfortunately, the only pulls I can make are on the street. I've got to find someone here in Oklahoma City with HP Tuners so I can log some stuff and send the file to Jeff. Or find a good tuner around here. No luck so far.

I'm gonna buy some TR6's regardless to throw in there.
Jeff is a clown, buy HPtuners and do it yourself. Its not rocket science.

Put the 6's in made a 3rd gear pull... shut it off and post pic of plug.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Jeff is a clown, buy HPtuners and do it yourself. Its not rocket science.

Put the 6's in made a 3rd gear pull... shut it off and post pic of plug.
You know, I've contemplated just buying the tuning software and wideband and doing it myself, but that **** isn't cheap. I'd actually prefer to learn, but just dont have the cash right now.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it may not be rocket science, but i just bouight my hpt 2 or 3 weeks ago and i'm pretty lost. i'm still playing in SD... and havent got that quite figured out.

i even bought greg banish's first book and that didnt help a whole lot, mostly just calculations and history of an EFI motor
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
it may not be rocket science, but i just bouight my hpt 2 or 3 weeks ago and i'm pretty lost. i'm still playing in SD... and havent got that quite figured out.

i even bought greg banish's first book and that didnt help a whole lot, mostly just calculations and history of an EFI motor
I feel like a pretty intelligent guy, and feel pretty confident that I could learn. Also, I heard the Master EFI Tuner book (www.thetuningbook.com) was an AWESOME first step.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its impossible to tell whats going on with a used plug but right off the bat the base ring is black with something. I can't tell by the pictures but it looks like oil, if its fuel than the normal part throttle/idle fueling is too rich. If its oil the engine is using some oil. You are going to need a otoscope to check down at the base of the ceramic to see what the fuel ring looks like. You'll also need to put a fresh plug in, make a pull then shut it off to be able to accurately read the ground strap.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alvin@Tick
Its impossible to tell whats going on with a used plug but right off the bat the base ring is black with something. I can't tell by the pictures but it looks like oil, if its fuel than the normal part throttle/idle fueling is too rich. If its oil the engine is using some oil. You are going to need a otoscope to check down at the base of the ceramic to see what the fuel ring looks like. You'll also need to put a fresh plug in, make a pull then shut it off to be able to accurately read the ground strap.
Thanks! I thought it was normal to have a bit of oil on the threads. The car hasn't used any oil since I bought it two weeks ago and I've put 4 or 5 tanks through it and made quite a few WOT pulls in various gears. I'll keep an eye on it though.