Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tuner is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which tuner is right for me?

Nitrous car will be a twin turbo car in a year or so...

1. Currently need the ability to run two separate tunes at the flip of a switch.
2. Need the ability to run a 3 bar SD tune in a year.
3. Need to interface with dual lc-1's, one per bank.
4. Need data-logging of everything I deem of interest.
5. It needs to be simple, I am a tuning newbie...

I've read through post for hours each day and cannot decide, EFILive seems the choice for me but is ultimately pricey in comparison. HP tuners can do what I want but seems like it needs upgrades beyond what they offer ie http://www.omnituner.com/. The dual tune it mandatory now but I could live with the time to load a new tune after I go FI.

I feel like this is an honest request for assistance different from the other locked threads so maybe my request for assistance will be honored and not closed for financial concerns.

Last edited by Lythropus; 03-07-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff, why the hell does this thing even ask...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like HPT. For the flip of a switch tuning, i believe that Steve (Frost on here) is the only one that offers that in his pcm's. No need to have it though if you are just using it for a future tune. It takes about 45 seconds for me to load a file in my car.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I like HPT. For the flip of a switch tuning, i believe that Steve (Frost on here) is the only one that offers that in his pcm's. No need to have it though if you are just using it for a future tune. It takes about 45 seconds for me to load a file in my car.
No I need it now because I run multiple stages...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

That's an extra $375 from frost vs. COS 5 from EFI-live...and I still don't know which one is easier...car is current;y set-up with COS5...
Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Lythropus
Nitrous car will be a twin turbo car in a year or so...

1. Currently need the ability to run two separate tunes at the flip of a switch.
2. Need the ability to run a 3 bar SD tune in a year.
3. Need to interface with dual lc-1's, one per bank.
4. Need data-logging of everything I deem of interest.
5. It needs to be simple, I am a tuning newbie...

I've read through post for hours each day and cannot decide, EFILive seems the choice for me but is ultimately pricey in comparison. HP tuners can do what I want but seems like it needs upgrades beyond what they offer ie http://www.omnituner.com/. The dual tune it mandatory now but I could live with the time to load a new tune after I go FI.
This is for your 2000 Firhawk, I assume.

[ EFILive COS5 runs on the 1999+ LS1 512KB PCM's ]

If you decide on EFILive, here are some answers to your questions:
1. EFILive COS5 has nitrous tables that are enabled via switch input on unused PCM pin.
2. COS5 has boost tables; COS5 allows OLSD, CLSD, OLMAF, CLMAF.
3. EFILive FlashScan V2 supports serial comms AFR/EQR/Lambda input from most widebands, LC-1 included; dual widebands supported.
4. EFILive supports data logging (including some internal PCM "DMA" pids).
5. Nothing is simple, need to read all the tuning stickies/books/DVD/forums, this is your responsibility, the learning curve is beatable; the EFILive forum will have answers to your questions; some people like the HPT user interface over the EFILive user interface, and vice-versa (you can download the EFILive software and try it out (you can view/edit log and tune files).

With COS5 you don't really need dual tune/switching... you wire up an unused input pin on the PCM to detect when your nitrous activates, and the COS5 algorithm switches to the nitrous VE/timing tables.

FlashScan V2 will have standalone flashing very soon (it is being tested), this is convenient, but like has been said you don't need to switch tunes.

Sure the initial cost of EFILive may be more, but after that everything else is free (you can flash/unflash COS5 at will), and look at the features I mentioned...

(serial AFR is the exact AFR the wideband is reporting, transmitted via serial RS-232 protocol to FlashScan V2 without having to convert to analog voltage... i.e. this avoids any wideband analog ground/offset problems).

Last edited by joecar; 03-08-2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-07-2010, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
This is for your 2000 Firhawk, I assume.

[ EFILive COS5 runs on the 1999+ LS1 512KB PCM's ]

If you decide on EFILive, here are some answers to your questions:
1. EFILive COS5 has nitrous tables that are enabled via switch input on unused PCM pin.
2. COS5 has boost tables; COS5 allows OLSD, CLSD, OLMAF, CLMAF.
3. EFILive FlashScan V2 supports serial comms AFR/EQR/Lambda input from most widebands, LC-1 included; dual widebands supported.
4. EFILive supports data logging (including some internal PCM "DMA" pids).
5. Nothing is simple, need to read all the tuning stickies/books/DVD/forums, this is your responsibility, the learning curve is beatable; the EFILive forum will have answers to your questions; some people like the HPT user interface over the EFILive user interface, and vice-versa (you can download the EFILive software and try it out (you view/edit log and tune files).

With COS5 you don't really need dual tune/switching... you wire up an unused input pin on the PCM to detect when your nitrous activates, and the COS5 algorithm switches to the nitrous VE/timing tables.

FlashScan V2 will have standalone flashing very soon (it is being tested), this is convenient, but like has been said you don't need to switch tunes.

Sure the initial cost of EFILive may be more, but after that everything else is free (you can flash/unflash COS5 at will), and look at the features I mentioned...

(serial AFR is the exact AFR the wideband is reporting, transmitted via serial RS-232 protocol to FlashScan V2 without having to convert to analog voltage... i.e. this avoids any wideband analog ground/offset problems).

Good info i did not know that about EFI live.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the post, lots of good info.

I was more referring to simple user-interface, not easy to tune...
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

The EFILive user interface:
- has a tree which goes several levels deep (see attached pics), mimicking Windows folders,
- each table has an id number (e.g. B0101 is VE, B4001 is IFR, B5001 is MAF),
- entering the table id in the search box takes you straight to that table.

The best thing to do is download/install the software and play with it:
http://download.efilive.com/Software...5.88_Setup.exe

without a cable it will still let you view/edit the log and tune files, for sample tune files (stock and modified) goto:
http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/

Attached Thumbnails Which tuner is right for me?-level-1.png   Which tuner is right for me?-level-2.png   Which tuner is right for me?-level-3.png   Which tuner is right for me?-level-4.png  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Some people find the EFILive user interface easy and some don't.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Launching!

I like the EFI live interface/program better.

I use the V2 and COS5 and it is exactly what Joe says it is.
Download it and see for yourself.

Brad
Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our software offers a form style interface as well as a tree style, personally I prefer the form style as going through tree after tree is just time consuming.

With the form style you can work on several different things at one time whereas with a tree style you are limited to one thing at a time.
Attached Thumbnails Which tuner is right for me?-navigator1.jpg   Which tuner is right for me?-vetable.jpg   Which tuner is right for me?-formstyle1.jpg  
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foff667

With the form style you can work on several different things at one time whereas with a tree style you are limited to one thing at a time.
EFILive has cascaded windows, this lets you work on multiple things a time.
Attached Thumbnails Which tuner is right for me?-casacde.png  

Last edited by joecar; 03-10-2010 at 11:10 AM.