PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust dumps...super lean now HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Exhaust dumps...super lean now HELP???

I removed my cat back and now only have spiral flow mufflers and then dumps. My car is a dragcar with some street driving. The problem is my FAST wideband is showing 18.9 A/F. By removing my exhaust would this cause this problem??? yet it smells like unburnt fuel in my shop??

Please give me your thoughts
Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is your wideband 'bung' located?

You might try the 'free air calibration' of your wideband O2 sensor. I had the reading once, and that turned out to be the problem.

Hard to believe you could effect the injector pulse width and make it leaner by just dumping cats and going to sumps. I would try to reset your wideband O2, and try it again. Sounds like a 'false' reading.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Launching!

the wideband is in the collector's (dual system) both sides read lean. when I lay under the car and put my feet against the mufflers, i can drop it to 16.5???
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the only other thing I can think of is an exhaust leak. Something would have to be mixing in additional O2 to have the sensor read that lean.

Again, its hard to imagine the actual PCM has recalculated the IPW to go that lean, but I could be wrong. Usually that is controlled by your VE Table and/or MAF. If that did not change, then it is either the sensor or an exhaust leak..

Thats my educated guess..
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Launching!

I have new NTK sensors in..... All worked fine untill I removed my y pipe and catback??
Is it possible that with little back preasure the 02 sensors for the car just don't have time to read the A/F??? I trust my wideband is right, most drag racers have them in the collector with no mufflers or dumps.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its possible.

Need to figure out a way to get reliable readings. But, your theory has some validity.

Now, for the solution???
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Canada
I removed my cat back and now only have spiral flow mufflers and then dumps. My car is a dragcar with some street driving. The problem is my FAST wideband is showing 18.9 A/F. By removing my exhaust would this cause this problem??? yet it smells like unburnt fuel in my shop??

Please give me your thoughts
If it is misfiring, then the fuel is not being burnt, and the wideband will read lean (since there is excess oxygen).
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

As little as I know, this is something a lot of people miss. An exhaust full of unburned fuel also has a lot of unspent oxygen in it.