PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

I know this post probably has been posted a million times, or maybe i am in the wrong post thread.. but take a look, i bet you'll have no answer either!

Alright so i just uncovered my password for LS1tech over the pile of dust since 05' lol and haven't had any problems with my car since (that'd be a big lie)! But this one has seemed to STUMP! and i mean STUMP everyone i come into contact with, or ask... Mechanics with 25-30yrs experience, FORGET IT! Starter & alternator repairs, nothing! Auto part stores, ha joke.. Even wal-mart! imagine that! You name it! I've asked!! Now i am coming to you guy's.. THE BEST AROUND!!

The problem: 01 Z28 will not start!!! Starter is good, car turns over... I have been jobless for a year so my car has just sat for months at a time, back in Dec. of 09' it would take bout 3-4 cranks to start, then 5-8 cranks, then just went dead!
Solution: NOT FOUND!
Results: I have tried everything man, from charging my 4-5 yr old Red top optima battery, having it tested at wal-mart (good battery). To having a friend run a diagnostics with his 10k Snap-on computer to find the problem, nothing throwed or gave there! So i ripped out the alternator and had it tested, needed a new regulator, replaced it, and still won't start!!!! Dude i am stranded and do not know what to do! Please help!

IS IT THE FUEL PUMP???

End result: MY CAR IS HAUNTED!!!
Only thing i haven't tried is handing my baby over to a Chevy dealership and having them charge me out the A-hole!!! NO FUN!!!!

Please help.. The big car show ROD RUNS in Pigeon Forge, TN is next week, I would love to have it up and running by then! I appreciate every comment or concern! THANKS
-Trey

P.S. I AM DESPERATE lol
Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

ha goin to the big rod run myself..... gotta have fuel, gotta have spark, and gotta have air.....have you made for certain you've got all that?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Awesome man! What are u bringing to the show?? Aren't those shows fun man?

Had a guy in another post ask the same thing.. gonna have my mechanic that is coming over tom. check it twice for me.. Dude that is why my name is rookie kid lol...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to check to make sure that there is fuel in the fuel lines. You're not out of gas right...?

But you can check to make sure you at least have fuel there, thats a start to the fuel possibility. Air is well.. not really a problem. And spark, pull a plug out and crank it over and watch it spark.

P.S. -All safety precautions in the above post have been disregarded for quick typing response prior to me going to bed.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Well my car wouldn't start with under 12.3 volts of charge, but would with 12.6 volts going to that monster of a computer system that drains the dang battery!! So we have tapped the MAF sensor.. started right up, did it again, and nothing... charged the battery, starts up, tried it again with it charged, and nothing???? WTF MAN!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

DUDE did u just ask me if i hav gas in my car? lol yes of course, 3/4s full!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Awesome man! What are u bringing to the show?? Aren't those shows fun man?

Had a guy in another post ask the same thing.. gonna have my mechanic that is coming over tom. check it twice for me.. Dude that is why my name is rookie kid lol...
probly just ride the truck down with some friends....yeah i have a blast twice a year just because of it
Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Ha sounds good man!! See u there hopefully!!! 01 z28, with a black heritage plate.. will hav pics posted here in the next hour.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

10-4 i'll be in my buddy's pickup newer chevy 1500 with a big goofy *** gm performance parts sticker in the back glass
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Ha ha.. Dude wish me luck.. that place is so pack slammed with people from all over! It b like finding a needle in a hay stack! The great part about it is that i live 45mins away NE of it on Cherokee lake... takes bout 2hrs with traffic tho lol.. i get to 66 off of i40 and from there it raises hell!!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

DUDE did u just ask me if i hav gas in my car? lol yes of course, 3/4s full!
Dude that is why my name is rookie kid lol...
Nuff said. ;-)
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

did u watch the rpm's on the scanner while u turned the engine over
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Wasn't there during the Diagnostics... at work. I am sure if something was to be noticed, my friend would have though.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Alt
Nuff said. ;-)
Hey man.. did u realize that this isn't a topic or an offer for "lets be a smart ***!"
Just asked a ? and wanted answers,
Im not that F***in dumb... u fucktard.. or isn't that the word choice in ur sig?

THanks
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Let the car sit for months at a time with the same tank of gas w/o any fuel stabilizer.. You're the one that stated that you're a rookie, I bought a jeep in perfect running condition for a steal cause the owner couldn't start it, wouldn't run because the gas gauge was broken and there was no gas in it. But you can do what you want. Its your car, rookie.

And the word choice in my sig is from someone with more clout regarding engine building than you'll ever have.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Id say start with all of the basics, check FP at the rail, Check for spark at the plugs, Now you say the car turns over but will not start correct? If no fuel, well thats obvious, no spark, try tracking down ignition area's even your ignition on the steering column, could be a broke wire that is now powering up when cranking, just some thoughts...

Last edited by moehorsepower; 04-07-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, try spraying some ether down the TB while you crank it. If it fires, then you know you're not getting fuel, dude. If not, dude, then check spark like he said vvv

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Id say start with all of the basics, check FP at the rail, Check for spark at the plugs, Now you say the car turns over but will not start correct? If no fuel, well thats obvious, no spark, try tracking down ignition area's even your ignition on the steering column, could be a broke wire that is now powering up when cranking, just some thoughts...
easy way is to pull a plug, hook up the wire, and hold the threads to the head so it grounds and see if there's spark when you crank it, dude. Hope you get it workin dude...

...Dude.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

try some fresh gas.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kmracer

try some fresh gas.
it is not the GASSS!!!! I just put premium back in January.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Have you checked for fuel psi at the schrader valve? or checked to see if the fuel pump works dose it run when you turn the key on? I wouldn't have so much faith in gas that's 3 months old.