PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I lock my PCM with EFILive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How do I lock my PCM with EFILive?

Can I make it password protected from being downloaded?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Uh ... Anybody ?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you would have taken 30 sewconds to search EFI's website you would have found this post. Why would you lock your tune, Don't you want anybody to know what a hack job it is? If anybody wants to unlock, there are plenty of people out there that can do it for them.

Originally Posted by macca_779 from Efi live forum
Yes you can lock the tune by altering the key to something different. EFI LIVE has this ability. But locking will not stop people seeing what timing, fuel etc values your running as any scan tool can still log this data and build it into a MAP representing what the tune would look like.
Locking a tune is for people that can't tune correctly, but don't want anybody to know it
Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by poconojoe
If you would have taken 30 sewconds to search EFI's website you would have found this post. Why would you lock your tune, Don't you want anybody to know what a hack job it is? If anybody wants to unlock, there are plenty of people out there that can do it for them.

Locking a tune is for people that can't tune correctly, but don't want anybody to know it
Actually I saw that post.

It does infer that the tune can still be extrapolated by logging and MAP building.

You should think before you speak, or type in this case.

I was asked by a 3rd party shop so THEIR tuner could not see what WE were working on since said shop wishes to part ways with their tuner (his bad attitude and limited abilities they say).

I appreciate the vague, albeit unhelpful, assistance poconojoe.

The weak insults were not welcome. We are all products of our own gene pool; it's obvious someone pissed in yours.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Dragon
I was asked by a 3rd party shop so THEIR tuner could not see what WE were working on since said shop wishes to part ways with their tuner (his bad attitude and limited abilities they say).

I have read this three times trying to understand what you are saying and I still don't. Here's what I got:

A shop that is not involved with you or your tuner (3rd party) wants you to lock your pcm (?) because the shop actually tuned the car (how are they 3rd party?) rather than the shops tuner (??) and they don't want someone they fired to read a copy of your PCM from your car (????)

I don't see how his post was vague or unhelpful either, he told you what was involved with locking it.

Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep last night and I am unable to read this all correctly.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I make it password protected from being downloaded?
Icon that looks like a key.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Actually I saw that post.

It does infer that the tune can still be extrapolated by logging and MAP building.

You should think before you speak, or type in this case.

The weak insults were not welcome. We are all products of our own gene pool; it's obvious someone pissed in yours.
Do you have a clue about what you want to do? Or are even trying to accomplish?
How's the other tuner going to even see what you're doing, unless you let him read your PCM?
If he has access to your PC, you're programming with, he could still get your work.
You'd be better off disabling the OBD2 port, to keep him out of your tune, if he has access to the vehicle.
Personally, if I thought somebody was trying to steal my tune, I'd use a dual-flash to hide the real tune. It's easy enough to do.
I stand by my statement, most tuners that lock their work have something to hide, and its not the fact, that they are great tuners. I've had several locked tunes unlock, and save nothing but hack jobs.

Even if you lock it, it can still be read in its entirety by somebody with the right tools and knowledge, so you're wasting your time.

I don't understand, if you saw the post, why did you still ask the question?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies Macca and Frost

Originally Posted by Frost
I have read this three times trying to understand what you are saying and I still don't. Here's what I got:

A shop that is not involved with you or your tuner (3rd party) wants you to lock your pcm (?) because the shop actually tuned the car (how are they 3rd party?) rather than the shops tuner (??) and they don't want someone they fired to read a copy of your PCM from your car (????)

I don't see how his post was vague or unhelpful either, he told you what was involved with locking it.

Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep last night and I am unable to read this all correctly.
Sent you a PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If someone else wants to lock your PCM, do not let them do it...

I got out of that that the 3rd party shop is going to fire their tuner after he locks your PCM...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joecar
If someone else wants to lock your PCM, do not let them do it...

I got out of that that the 3rd party shop is going to fire their tuner after he locks your PCM...

No. No one has ever touched my PCM in the +9 years I've had my car. I do all of the tuning myself.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dragon:

I think what the readers are having trouble understanding, is that if you own your own vehicle and do you own tuning..under what circumstances would you have a need to prevent a third party from reading your tune.

I think most readers/tuners are suspicious when someone asks about 'locking' a tune. Its an ethical concern if your own your vehicle and someone else 'locks' your tune.

Perhaps this is not the forum to delve into details that really are of no interest to anyone else. I think your question is just curious. No one wants to inadvertently give advice on a practice that may be considered unethical.

We are having a hard time understanding why you would want to lock your own tune. Its rarely done. Hope you can understand why people are tentative about handing out that kind of advice on a public forum.

Hope you get it all worked out..
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

if i pay somebody to tune my car, i expect everything to be unlocked. i paid for it after all

it is like buying a car and the guy who is selling it to you does not give you the keys for it.

Quick Reply: How do I lock my PCM with EFILive?