Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate can a mail order tune get A/F raito

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How accurate can a mail order tune get A/F raito

I recently added the mods in my sig and am going to put a LS6 intake on tomorrow.
I have been told I should have it tuned.
Will a mail order tune work for me? Will I see a HP gain from it? I was thinking frost.
I'm far away from any dyno tuners.
I've already tuned out o2's torque management, messed with new trans settings and adjusted for 3.73's fan times for t stat.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A mail order for bolt on mods should be pretty close. Things that will affect it are plugged fuel filter, dirty MAF, lazy O2 sensors, worn spark plugs. If everything is good that I mentioned then you should be fine.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've replaced the fuel filter, o2's, and spark plugs within the past few months. I was just curious if they can get the a/f ratio right or if I needed to bring my car to someone to get that right. I always thought that was something that had to be monitored while changing it.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really wouldnt mind buying a wideband and software to tune as long as I could use it.
How hard is it to tune a/f raito? my MAF is not descreened.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Yea, ask if you can tune with the narrowband O2's and get flamed because it's inaccurate.
Ask a mailorder tuner to tune the AFR and they'll take your money and do something.
Both are just as much a guess.
NB O2s are heat and pressure dependent; they are no good for WOT tuning.

Mail order tuning's only assumptions are that the customer's car is in good working order (mainly the MAF and fuel side) and the customer correctly lists what he has on the form that comes in.

Mail order tuning is the result of tuning many many setups and being able to spot the trends. They evolve over time (as they should). Both of my boltons F-bodies on the dyno today got loaded with what would have been mail order tunes. The first car was within 6HP of what I could do on the dyno and the second was even closer. Some days you get cars with aging MAFs which make the car's lean. It happens enough that I keep a new spare OEM MAF on hand. When the car is in proper mechanical order, it is very rare to get even 10rwhp past the base file (which IS a boltons tune).
Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
FormerVendor

People should definitely shop around though... I have had cars with many many mail order tunes come in for wideband/dyno tuning. Some of them have nothing but codes turned off, the proverbial LS1edit 'spark shelf' (26-30(!) deg flat at WOT) and COT turned off.... even for cammed cars. There are many competent mail order tuners though.

Two times I have had a car come in for full tuning that had a mail order already and it was so close that I logged it, told the customer I couldn't do him any justice, and sent him home having just paid for the strapdown and 2 pulls.

My advice for people looking is to talk to their customers and see how their experience went.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mail order isn't bad and some small name companies are better than the big ones. However, nothing replaces having the car in front of you, there are too many factors that play into how each car will react to a tune.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frost knows his stuff with mailorder tuning! What he is saying is absolutely true - it is the many many tunes done on the dyno that allow a good mailorder tuner to do it right (along with accurate info and a good working car)! But, how many mailorder tuners out there have been doing this for years and have the experience?? That's the hard part to know... but I can tell you that Steve (Frost) has been doing this for a long time and you will be in good hands if you go with him.