PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running very rich... NW Indiana tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Running very rich... NW Indiana tuners?

Hey guys... I've done a lot of searching and have come up with some good things to check for... Cleaning air filter, MAF cleaner, maybe new O2 sensors, etc. I filled up the other day and drove about 35 miles and dropped a quarter of a tank. Smells very rich... if I idle her in my garage for a couple minutes my clothes smell of exhaust. Very black carbon inside exhaust at rear exit. Tonight I started her and she just dies. Over and over she wouldn't hold an idle. I slightly cracked open the throttle plate a touch using set screw. Now she'll run but idle anywhere from 900 to 1500 rpms with no rhyme or reason, back and forth.

Any other things I should check for? This car is very new to me (only a few weeks and maybe 200 miles). The last time I tuned a car was over ten years ago and it had an 850 double pumper so this EFI stuff is new to me. Any shops within a hundred miles of so of Crown Point, IN.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well... I found an answer to one of my questions... I had the battery out for awhile and this was the first time starting it since then so I guess the computer had to "relearn" the idle characteristics...

but the darn rich condition is making my eyes tear up...
Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

No one? has anything to add? come on guys... any suggestions would help.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your VE tables are off in the lower RPM's - not uncommon for a cam'd engine. The tuner may have gotten everything good for WOT power, but drivability tuning to get the fuel mixture right for everything else usually takes longer time than a lot of tuners want to spend on one. Also, if it has no cats, it'll smell richer than it really is. Datalogging to read the fuel trims would tell the story.

Bird

ps. could also be something as simple as a bad O2 sensor or a dirty MAF.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep. what Bird said.
"Datalogging to read the fuel trims would tell the story."
Old 07-04-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do I need to data log the fuel trims? Is this something affordable or too expensive for one time use?

I am going to clean the MAF with some electronic cleaner spray and clean the air filter also. I'll see if this changes anything then look to the O2 sensors. I'll get back to you guys in a few.

Happy Independence Day and thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

who did the original tune?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jophuss36
who did the original tune?
Thunder Racing.

Just read your sig. I've got an 05'DodgeRam2500 4x4 CumminsTurboDiesel that put down 617RWHP a few years ago. Much easier to make huge numbers with a diesel. Didn't need anyone but myself to tune her. Has a KORE suspension system also. Plus a thousand other things I can't remember right now.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trik396
Thunder Racing.

Just read your sig. I've got an 05'DodgeRam2500 4x4 CumminsTurboDiesel that put down 617RWHP a few years ago. Much easier to make huge numbers with a diesel. Didn't need anyone but myself to tune her. Has a KORE suspension system also. Plus a thousand other things I can't remember right now.
sweetya thoes diesels are no joke! i saw an old beat up one at the track that ran 12.2
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

theres a shop called baker engineering thats pretty decent. i had tj tune my truck hes a great guy i dropped my truck off to him and he even took me to my hotel and picked me up when it was ready! its in michigan about 150 miles from crown pointe. either there or i hear speed inc is pretty good in shaumburg
Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Either one is too far... I'm sure they're good... just I thought there'd be something right in my back yard here... I think there may be some places in Joliet or New Lennox that'd be closer. I'll keep searching. Are you in the IronHorse 4x4 club? or another club... can't remember the name now. Bunch of Jeep and 4x4 guys. Went to one meeting awhile back.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trik396
Either one is too far... I'm sure they're good... just I thought there'd be something right in my back yard here... I think there may be some places in Joliet or New Lennox that'd be closer. I'll keep searching. Are you in the IronHorse 4x4 club? or another club... can't remember the name now. Bunch of Jeep and 4x4 guys. Went to one meeting awhile back.
i went to a few iron horse events and am good friends with a bunch of the guys, but am not technically a member. too much politics. i just like to go wheelin!