PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problems, hanging @ 2000 rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question idle problems, hanging @ 2000 rpm?

after i installed the heads, LT headers, LS6 intake, and done tunning by Nitro Daves, the car drives nice and everything, then i drove it on the way back (4 hour drive from Nitro-Dave) i noticed that when i stopped at agas station that the car idled around 1800-2000 rpm, i tried to wait, but it still idled that high, after that i turned the car off and started it again, same proble...one last time i turn it off, wait for few seconds, then start it again, it idles fine around 750-800 rpm, then continued driving for one hour and got home, same problem high idle 1800rpms.
so what do you guys think the problem is here, i will call Dave to and see what he says..
sorry foir the long post,
thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds silly, but the FIRST thing to check is the floor mat. For some reason they like to ride up on the accel pedal and cause it to stick.

If it is not that, start looking for leaks etc.

FWIW,
Old 02-02-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Couple things it might be.

From your description it sounds like a vacuum leak the most common leak on the 99 model cars is that o-ring in the intake where the EGR tube connects to (directly behind the throttle body). You should be able to hear the leak if its there.

Another thing it could be is the IAC motor on the thottle body trying to reset. When you put a new IAC motor on the engine it will idle high a bit untill you drive around for a little while. The IAC could be trying to reset or its on the verge of failure.

Question, when you come to a stop from driving does the car idle high for awhile then correct itself after a minute or so?

Sean
Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by Gustin

From your description it sounds like a vacuum leak the most common leak on the 99 model cars is that o-ring in the intake where the EGR tube connects to (directly behind the throttle body). You should be able to hear the leak if its there.
Just saw you have a LS6 intake, 86 the above
Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you've allready tried everything that SSN8R and Gustin said..........
check your battery, mine ran at high idle when the battery wuz crappin out (3k), got a new battery and everything wuz fine, ......... just tryin to give some more ideaws
Old 02-02-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default High Idle

Hey this is moe.As suggested it sounds like you might of developed a vacum leak somewhere.Does the car do this when cold?if it does this when hot then it sounds like expansion of metal causing a leak (i.E. manifold) or something electronically breaking down or sticking such as your Idle Air Control ,Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.....................Moe
Old 02-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gustin

Question, when you come to a stop from driving does the car idle high for awhile then correct itself after a minute or so?

Sean
yes it does that now, it goes to 1000 to 1100 then comes down to 750 after a few seconds.
but when it was hanging at 2000 yesterday (first day for the heads, headers, and ls6 intake), it stayed that way for more than a minute, so i turned the car off and started it again (twice), and it's gone.
i will try to look at the floor matts, the battery, and if there are any leaks.
thanks everybody
Old 02-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Hey this is moe.As suggested it sounds like you might of developed a vacum leak somewhere.Does the car do this when cold?if it does this when hot then it sounds like expansion of metal causing a leak (i.E. manifold) or something electronically breaking down or sticking such as your Idle Air Control ,Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.....................Moe
Moe, are you the one that tuned my car at Nitro-Dave's or are you another Moe?
i will try to look for any leaks and i'll let ya know,
thanks,
Abdulla
Old 02-02-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NaSSty99
yes it does that now, it goes to 1000 to 1100 then comes down to 750 after a few seconds.
but when it was hanging at 2000 yesterday (first day for the heads, headers, and ls6 intake), it stayed that way for more than a minute, so i turned the car off and started it again (twice), and it's gone.
i will try to look at the floor matts, the battery, and if there are any leaks.
thanks everybody
The car has not idled at 2k since yesterday?

I think The IAC went a little haywire on you. If so the IAC has probably relearned what it has to do. The 1000 to 1100 rpm coming to a stop is fine, that is so the engine will produce enough vacuum for the brakes to work well.

Hope you get this ironed out soon,
Sean
Old 02-02-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Default High Idle

Yes I am the one that tuned your car,and Gustin is right,The high idle is there to help the power breaks.........
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Launching!

thanks a lot guys,

Gustin, you're right it hasn't idled at 2k since the last time, thanks for the help

Moe, lastnight when i was driving around the "service engine soon" light came on, it also stayed on this morning, it hasn't gone yet, am i supposed to get it or you think there is something wrong?
one more thing, if i get an ASP pully and a ported TB, would it be ok to keep the same tunning or do you recommend tunning it again.
thanks,
Abdulla
Old 02-03-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the same problem. When the motor is cold it doesnt do it....but when its full temp...the min you put the clutch in it shoots to 2k and hangs there until the car comes to a full stop...then it will drop back to normal. I used to have a A4 and the TB i have is drilled for it, but since i have swapped to the M6. Could the larger TB hole be causing it? I did try a STOCK TB but it still did it. its REALLY annoying.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Default Idle

When you say the idle goes up when you push the clutch in.Is this while you are driving or just sitting there...

[ QUOTE=BLKWS6]I have the same problem. When the motor is cold it doesnt do it....but when its full temp...the min you put the clutch in it shoots to 2k and hangs there until the car comes to a full stop...then it will drop back to normal. I used to have a A4 and the TB i have is drilled for it, but since i have swapped to the M6. Could the larger TB hole be causing it? I did try a STOCK TB but it still did it. its REALLY annoying.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=moehorsepower]When you say the idle goes up when you push the clutch in.Is this while you are driving or just sitting there...

Either way. moving or not. it does it most when i am coming to a stop...
Old 02-04-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Default High Idle

If you are just sitting in the driveway and push the clutch in and the idle goes up,then I'm lost on that one but if it does it while driving and comming to a stop then you can get into the throttle decay table and change the rate of decay to help bring the idle down quicker.You do not want it to come down like stock if you have a large cam,The higher idle helps with thepower brakes,But not a 2000 idle.....

[QUOTE=BLKWS6]
Originally Posted by moehorsepower
When you say the idle goes up when you push the clutch in.Is this while you are driving or just sitting there...

Either way. moving or not. it does it most when i am coming to a stop...
Old 02-04-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

BLKWS6, I have the same problem. I put the car away for the winter with this problem. Mine would stay at 2k until about 10MPH and then start to drop below 10MPH. The Decay did nothing for me and I changed it ALOT (was getting pissed). The next thing I am going to try is the running airflow (Edit engine/idle and limiters/Idle air tab), I wanted to lower the values in here so see if it helps.
I also noticed the throttle cracker value for rpms that I am having the prolem is set to 3.0 while everything else is 1.5 to 1.1. I was going to mess with that a little but I dont even know if my car uses those values.