PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I tell if I bricked my PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How do I tell if I bricked my PCM?

Title is the short version. Any steps I can do to verify my PCM is bricked before I go buy a new one

Long version:
  • Swapped LQ4 from 2004 Silverado 2500HD with NV4500 reworked stock harness
  • Got a proper tune for the manual transmission
  • Ran fine but input VSS was off as was the speedometer speed
  • Used Jet DST to tune it
  • During one of the flashes, the laptop dropped from 50% battery to none (ie crashed mid flash)
  • Was able to use DST to recover. Engine fired up and I was able to drive around.
  • Tried one more flash and it claimed to have completed.
  • Fuel pump relay now "vibrates"
  • DST will NOT do a recover for me.
  • Diagnose program/cable also can't communicate

I have pulled the power on the car for now. I haven't checked fuses yet.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

P06XX codes are usually a good sign.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foff667
P06XX codes are usually a good sign.
I can't get any codes off the PCM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it does not sound good, win-flash ver 2.25? here's some copy/paste from TC

Resetting the PCM
If the PCM read process is interrupted before completion at certain times during the process, the PCM may no longer communicate and thus will not function correctly or the VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) will be enabled and the vehicle will not start. To recover from this, you'll need to completely reset the PCM.

To reset the PCM, you must remove all power from the PCM for about 10 to 15 minutes. To do this you can either disconnect the main battery cable from the battery or you can disconnect the connectors going to the PCM. This should reset the PCM and it should function normally afterward.

If the PCM programming process is interrupted before completion, you may still be able to recover depending on at what stage the interruption occurred. If the programming process does get interrupted for some reason, try resetting the PCM as described above. Sometimes, this will recover the PCM and it will work properly or at least function well enough to program it again.

If after trying the reset, the PCM will still not communicate, then it has most likely been damaged and will have to be repaired or replaced. You can use your damaged PCM as a core and get a replacement from the dealer or you can have the PCM repaired.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Launching!

sreve, thanks for the info. I've got the cable pulled from the battery. I'm going to try to do another Jet DST "PCM recover" tomorrow. Hopefully a 12 hour power loss will do something for me.

I'm using a tool made by Roadman. Very generic OBD2 cable and laptop software reader.

In hindsight, I wish I would have just bought HPtuners instead of Jet and the above tool.

Neither of the above were able to communicate with the PCM in any form.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Just finished trying again. Still no talking with the PCM.

I left the battery disconnected for about 18 hours. So I think I've got 15 minutes covered.

I checked all the fuses and all were good.

So far, the tech support from Jet has been non-existent. Phone call told me nothing. Email so far has been unanswered. My question being a straight: how in the heck does your licensing work. They couldn't tell me if it was based upon vin, tune, pcm, pcm operating system, etc.

My concern being if I buy a replacement(ie used) pcm, do I eat another license if I use the tune from the old pcm.

But, back to the possibly dead PCM, does anyone have a step by step method to verify the PCM is indeed dead before I shell out money for a replacement?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a failed write the cal is most likely corrupted on the flash chip
for all practical purposes its dead. they can be repaired by lifting the chip
formatting flashing a cal on it and resoldering it to the board 42 pins surface mount. i have been getting 512 pcms for $20 but 1mg run $80

as far as support goes i have not heard of any from jet. here's a link to a tunercat/jet site you need to ask over there. you will get an answer.

http://www.monodax.com/forums/forums.php
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sreve
i have been getting 512 pcms for $20 but 1mg run $80
Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Can you explain the difference between the above? I'm a bit confused on what you are talking about there. I could stomach $20 to replace this problem.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live?

I fixed one of these 2004 pcms today, removed the 44 pin chip and recovered. Jet likely does not know what the licensing is done with, they just rebadge and resell a licensed version of tunercat. You can send John at tunercat the question, he may answer it. If they are smart they license to the vin, and serial number.

I test for any VPW data on the pcm to determine if it is dead, but if you have this kind of hardware, you are likely not using jet to tune with.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Launching!

I'm in Sacramento, CA.

I'm not holding my breath on getting a good explanation from Jet. I'm still kicking myself over getting it
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

N0DIH over on Monodax can swap out the chip also, but I have seen the PCM recovered after sitting 7 days. I had a bad flash with DST. I unplugged it and returned to my house. I returned to tune the car 2 days last with spare PCM. I reinstalled the 1st one and still nothing. I set up the second and tuned it. The 1st one I tried several time letting it sit for a few days. I forgot about it for 7 days. When I connected it to my bench harness it woke up and has been working ever since
Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Launching!

I can only hope that 7 day sit will fix the brick.

I've got a used replacement on order right now. So while I wait for that, I'll let the "bricked" PCM sit unplugged.

I did get a somewhat useful answer out of Jet but a much faster/better answer from John at Tuner They base their license structure on the Vin of the PCM. So yup, I get to burn another license off my DST
Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lil'John
They base their license structure on the Vin of the PCM. So yup, I get to burn another license off my DST
I can help you with that

Quick Reply: How do I tell if I bricked my PCM?