PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF translator to fix my stock maf swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF translator to fix my stock maf swap?

In 2003 I bought a slp 85mm mass airflow sensor and I threw away my stocker Mass air flow sensor like an idiot when I moved! My SLP maf is broken beyond repair! I have just purchased a new 85mm corvette unit because I wanted to continue using the 5 pin adapter and I like the larger diameter of the 85mm, it fits my slp box/bellow nicely. My question is, can a Diablo predator handheld properly adjust my fuel curves or whatever to make it work properly? I also was wondering if I would need to buy a maf translator along with it or will the diablo unit take care of my tuning? The part number on my new maf is 25168491. thanks for any help you can offer. I am just learning about tuning so please go easy on me!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Teching In

anyone? I know somebody can help?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 85mm will make the car fat. The handheld can only fudge the injector table, but what you need is to calibrate the MAF. The MAF translator is a relic from 2000, but it can be used if you have a wideband and can log trims, but it makes very coarse adjustments. The best results would come from using a real tuning suite or to have it done for you by a tuner.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a used truck MAF. Remove the resistor from your dead
SLP MAF and solder it onto the new (used) MAF in the same
way. Voila, you have another SLP MAF.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Is the SLP unit really that accurate on my camaro? what exactly does a maf translator do? I was under the impression that you could adjust the MAF with the translator to work on your car? I have a lot to learn I appreciate the help, soldering that resistor or whatever that thing is on my new MAF is an awesome idea! Do you really think it will work? Has it been tested, how can I test it by myself? Translator? Diablo handheld? or do I have to pay someone an outrageous price to fix it and test it? Thanks again
Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Frost, I am new to forums and this is really the only forum I look at! I see your name everywhere, and I'm sure you can tune this properly! What kind of price am I looking at for you to do it? Thanks guys
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do what JB said and it will make the new 85 act like the SLP unit. I try to get my local guys, with the exception of de-screening the stock unit, to leave the MAF alone until they are ready to get their car tuned. This part is not like an under drive pulley or a catback, it is THE unit responsible for measuring airflow coming into the engine. It's the base of all fuel and airflow calculations. The best results are obtained by having it calibrated by someone in person with a wideband.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM

I have done it (desoldering, resoldering, even put together
one with a trim-pot one time just for yucks). It's a hokey
way to get "close enough" - according to the guys who
want to charge you $200 for it. But they ain't sayin', as
far as -how- close, let alone giving real cal data for tuning.

You ought to be able to come up with a stock MAF off
eBay for chump change. Or the classifieds. Or the boneyard.
Just clean it (gently / properly). Not much love for the
stock piece but it gets the job done. So you leave a little
top end on the table. If you're wheezing through cats on
a stock cam it's not like it's problem #1. And a stock MAF
descreened will drop way less pressure than a screened SLP
anyhow. There's that.

Last edited by jimmyblue; 02-05-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

frost, Im sure you are right about getting it tuned locally! I have a couple of more questions for you if you dont mind? How do you feel about the diablo predator handhelds, honestly? I am brand new to any type of tuning. I do my own body and engine work so I am very familiar with my ls1 engine, the physical components anyway I have the SLP lid, the SLP front forced air thing, p&p TB, long tube headers. As far as tuning, I would like to start somewhere simple. I need something that is within the 300 to 400 dollar range and can perform some pretty basic tuning but at the same time get me familiar with making computer adjustments, fuel and timing adjustments, etc.. I plan on installing a head/cam package myself next year too! 4:10 gears are going in next week. Im telling you these things so that maybe it can help you decide if the diablo hand-held is right for me. I am currently having issues with my throttle body too, after I port and polished it! I filled the sensor holes with epoxy too and drilled the holes out to still get airflow to them. Now my car idles high when I stop at a red light or even when I am cruising on the highway at 70mph it feels like I have cruise control engaged because it will almost maintain the speed! It's like the blade is open but it does actually idle down after about 10 seconds at the stop light. I was hoping that tuning the new maf would help but Im afraid it has nothing to do with it! Will a diablo help this situation? I am so sorry for bothering you and for this very long post but I actually have been wanting to talk to you and since I have your attention I figured I would ask Thanks for any advice or help! PLEASE ANYONE ELSE CAN POST RESPONSES TOO!!! Not just Frost
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Teching In

hey, I removed the resistor from the old one and there is hardly any metal on the ends of it to solder it! What size resistor is it? Can I buy a new one?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 PM

2.7Kohms, Radio Shack.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

thanks a bunch! Ill pick one up tomorrow!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Jimmyblue, I have a couple of questions for ya! Where do I solder the resistor at on my new corvette maf? Im an idiot, I popped it off my old slp unit and didnt even look where it came from I also noticed that you have been on some other threads and you have shared some knowledge about switching out resistors on the maf! Could I use a diablo predator handheld to read the fuel info so that I can make proper adjustments through using different resistors? Where would I find some info on what my fuel info should be at? Im very very new to tuning so please use understandable words
Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have an SLP MAF that I no longer use and will send to you if you pay shipping. I switched to a Pro-M Racing which has a better calibration and higher resolution. I may might be able to find my stock MAF around here somewhere which is only missing the screen I took out if you would prefer that, however I would have to do some digging. I know I still have the SLP in the closet though. Jim_Linder@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by James Linder; 02-10-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: MAF translator to fix my stock maf swap?