Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0102, LS1 running awful

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0102, LS1 running awful

**Posting this in the PCM forum, as well as over in the LS1 internal engine section in hopes of someone knowing more over here..**

Changed out the gear oil in my t56, in my '02 SS.

Side note: Car was running fine before this, although, the SES light was on, but most likely because of the rear o2's being unhooked (getting o2 sims soon, on a side note). Did not have an OBDII scan, so I do not know for sure if this code was being thrown yet or not.

So, after I change the oil out, I start the car up, it's running like ****, like it usually does when I first start it up. It usually takes around 10 seconds or so for the FI to take enough fuel out to properly idle. This is because the car has a 234/240 @.05" cam, LS6 intake, headers and a Borla catback/Y-pipe exhaust on it. It's not stock. The difference between this startup and every time prior to this one, is that it does not take any fuel out, or change anything at all. It will idle around 850 (normal is around 900-950 RPM's). It is popping/backfiring out the exhaust, idling VERY rough, pig rich (awful smell) and when you rev it at idle, it will hesitate, idle down, and it will try and die. First gear, trying to drive it, it will buck, very hard in all gears at anything below 1500 RPM's (I know the cam is partly to blame, but this is alot more bucking that usual). It will stay this way until I start driving it normally for about 20 minutes or so, then it changes moods. Cruising down the road ~45mph or so, pushing the clutch in (neutral), the car will idle UP around 1500 - 2000 RPM's until I come to a dead stop, where it will eventually idle down to around 900 RPM's. It will continue doing this for an amount of time that I haven't figured out yet, and will eventually idle down to ~900 RPM's when driving, and pushing the clutch in. So, after driving for a length of time, most of the symptoms *seem* to go away, but off idle acceleration, it stumbles HARD on its face, is still filthy, dirty rich and wants to die.

Took the car to AutoZombies last night, got an OBDII scan, and it came back with P0102, P0135 and P0155. The latter two are for the rear o2's (pretty sure, which makes sense, since I do not have cats), but the P0102 (MAF low input voltage), I think, has something to do with my issues I'm having. I took out the MAF, sprayed it with some carburetor cleaner, put it back in, checked the elbow for any leaks, checked for a loose connection, etc. etc. etc. I then reset the PCM/engine codes (took out PCM IGN, etc, fuses). Started it back up, SES light went away, but was still running like ****. Thought it may be my K&N filter. Took that out, cleaned it, re-oiled it, etc...put it back in, started the car back up, and not 2 seconds after putting the air filter back in and starting it up, the SES light came on....I don't think it's the filter because the car has been running atleast better than it has now for the past 6 months.

Any help is appreciated....thank you.

Last edited by mrdreex; 03-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

It has nothing to do with your gear oil change. Check the fuses under your hood. You may have blown the fuse that controls the maf.

Also, sounds like you need a tune. You should go visit a good tuner, and all of those problems will go away. Your mods are very easy to tune for.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
It has nothing to do with your gear oil change. Check the fuses under your hood. You may have blown the fuse that controls the maf.

Also, sounds like you need a tune. You should go visit a good tuner, and all of those problems will go away. Your mods are very easy to tune for.
As far as I know, it has had a tune when it had all the work done to it (bought it after the fact), but I believe it was only tuned for WOT? I don't know if that makes any sense, but my buddy who looked at my car once told me that.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Yep, makes perfect since. Alot of that happens. I see problems like what you are talking about all the time. You need to find you a good tuner and have them look at your setup. Well worth the money.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Yep, makes perfect since. Alot of that happens. I see problems like what you are talking about all the time. You need to find you a good tuner and have them look at your setup. Well worth the money.
That, is around $450 to do. Do not have the budget for that right now as my t56 blew 3rd gear, ~$1000 to fix give or take, need 2 new tires, ~$300 and an alignment ~$100.

If I can fix this without spending $450 to tune it, that would be grand. It was working before.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, just check your fuses. You might have one bad. Good luck I hope all the repairs go well.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, just check your fuses. You might have one bad. Good luck I hope all the repairs go well.
Thanks. I'm going to check voltage at the MAF harness tonight, 12v/5v on the two outside wires, as well as check the fuses SENSOR and ENG SEN (maybe the same thing, can't remember). If that all checks out OK, I'm going to check out the ground for it and make sure it hasn't been burned/twisted at all anywhere.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

You were right. I checked it when I got home, and sure enough, it was blown. Put a new one in and it idles like a charm. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

No problem. Glad it was a simple fix.

Quick Reply: P0102, LS1 running awful