Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hptuners serial interface

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hptuners serial interface

Ok so I bought what I thought was hptuners newer product. Well the guy didn't disclose when.I.purchased it that it is the old style hptuners serial interface.

I'm not gonna bad mouth the guy cause he has been helpful this far.

But here is what I want to know. Is this damn dinosaur even able to tune with anymore?

I've seen all the threads about the upgrade and stuff. But is this thing pretty much worthless?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to the HPtuners website and get the latest version....its free. I think the serial one is way better than the newer "credit" one... I think the only difference is that they dont support it anymore and you have to use credits on the newer one where you're limited (maybe there is more differences ...Im not sure). The old serial one is unlimited... you can use it on as many vehicles as you want granted they all are what it is registered for.

The old serial style ones dont stay for sale long... I was wondering if they were more saught after because of the unlimited amount of vehicles you can do.?? Usually they are a good deal used too.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

From my understanding about the serial interface is that if my cars not.licensed I'm sol
Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdave619
From my understanding about the serial interface is that if my cars not.licensed I'm sol
You are correct. Sell it to somebody who can use it.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Shoot I'd love to see what license is on it. but I can't get the damn Ian to serial adapter to work
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Shoot I'd love to see what license is on it. but I can't get the damn Ian to serial adapter to work
Almost exact same scenario for me as you about 2 weeks ago. I bought from a board member also. As for the adapter with mine on Windows 7 i had to be connected to the internet and it failed to install driver. Go into device manager and uninstall the plug in again...windows found the driver on the internet and allowed me to install it.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have to have the cable connected to see licenses on HPT serial cables. The licenses are stored in the software. Every serial cable had unique software for each cable. You need the exact software for the serial # on the cable. If the serial # label is still on the cable HP Tuners support can help you download the software for that cable. You need to contact them at support@hptuners.com.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Go to the HPtuners website and get the latest version....its free. I think the serial one is way better than the newer "credit" one... I think the only difference is that they dont support it anymore and you have to use credits on the newer one where you're limited (maybe there is more differences ...Im not sure). The old serial one is unlimited... you can use it on as many vehicles as you want granted they all are what it is registered for.

The old serial style ones dont stay for sale long... I was wondering if they were more saught after because of the unlimited amount of vehicles you can do.?? Usually they are a good deal used too.
First off, I am not trying to be argumentative...
Just curious why you would think that something that is no longer supported by it's manufacturer would be "way better"?

If the HPTuners serial "dongle", which is the key part of the whole setup, goes bad or breaks, it isn't fixable. At least not at HPTuners. If you need/want to buy credits for another vehicle, you can't. Whatever licenses you have now, is all you'll ever have.

The old serial setups also used a "buy/use credits" system and you'd only have unlimited years/model licenses if you either paid for them, or used credits that you already had...no different than the newer HPTuners.

I actually upgraded from my old serial setup to the MPVI Pro and the half dozen unlimited vehicle licenses I already had acquired, transferred to it. Not to mention laptop-free datalogging and ability to wire in a wideband direct to the HPTuners dongle with the newer USB setup.

Unfortunately, you can't get the $200 serial to MPVI Pro upgrade anymore, and hopefully the guy who posted this thread has a vehicle that's already unlimited year licensed with the setup he bought, because you cannot buy credits/licenses for the serial setup anymore...which sucks.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

But here is what I want to know. Is this damn dinosaur even able to tune with anymore?

I've seen all the threads about the upgrade and stuff. But is this thing pretty much worthless?
The damn dinosaur actually can do pretty much anything that the new fangled version can do, as far as actual tuning is concerned. And as already said above, you'll need to find out if your car is covered by it's existing licenses to know if it's worthless to you or not.

Hopefully, you'll be able to since you can't upgrade that unit anymore.

Good Luck
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Well That really sucks. I'd want my money back.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly sorry to hear about this Bigdave. When I started I purchased Hp Tuners Pro with FAST Dual Wideband. Not long after that the veterans where just beginning the update from serial cable to MPVI option. I too remember all the $&#^@ hitting the fan when they stopped offering replacement options but its all true none the less.

Here's the thread with all the answers you seek.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=serial+cable

Last edited by 2TR; 04-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: hptuners serial interface