Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a cable for EFILive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a cable for EFILive

Is there anywhere I can just buy the cable and not the software?

Thanks
Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The software is basically a free download from their website. You are essiently paying for the cable. IMO, it is a great investment. I have had both EFI live pro and autotap. EFI live is 100x better and easier to use.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

yah the autotap cable is used for efilive, the serial #'s are stored on the cable itself to associate a cable serial # to a version of software using your keycodes.

So buying a generic cable wouldn't really work that well under their distribution chain lol.

autotap in usa doesnt want you to use another cable at this time..
Old 02-20-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an A-Tap cable I bought several years ago. I do not see any version # on it. Only Model AT-1. How do I find out a version # on this cable? Can I use this cable with any version of EFILive software?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Probably be faster to log into the EFIlive site and ask.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

just download efilive v6.3 beta from the site, and connect it to the car. the data screen will show your serial # and version #. You need the serial # to buy efilive ifyou choose to, and the version # makes a difference in features (ie no pro on V1)

there was a thread on this recently. Works great.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samz28
yah the autotap cable is used for efilive, the serial #'s are stored on the cable itself to associate a cable serial # to a version of software using your keycodes.

So buying a generic cable wouldn't really work that well under their distribution chain lol.

autotap in usa doesnt want you to use another cable at this time..
So what you are saying is even if I bought AutoTap I still wouldn't be able to use the EFILive Software and serial# that I already have for it because the the serial is encoded on the cable?

Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadowZ28
So what you are saying is even if I bought AutoTap I still wouldn't be able to use the EFILive Software and serial# that I already have for it because the the serial is encoded on the cable?

Joe
Unless you have paid for EFI live, then no. They are 2 different softwares. EFI live just uses the cable from Autotap. That is why I sold my autotap and purchased efi live. Now you can upgrade your autotap to efi live I do belive. Check out www.efilive.com for more information.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HC02SS
Unless you have paid for EFI live, then no. They are 2 different softwares. EFI live just uses the cable from Autotap. That is why I sold my autotap and purchased efi live. Now you can upgrade your autotap to efi live I do belive. Check out www.efilive.com for more information.
I'm still confused. No I can't or no I can. I don't see the reason to have to buy AutoTap and than upgrade it to efi live if I already have a valid reg. Furthermore I don't understand, if they are two different pieces of software, why does the serial in the cable matter while running efi live?

Thanks
Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't understand what I can or can't do with EFIlive with my cable either. I guess I'll just keep using A-Tap.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

They are two separate programs. Each one you must buy. Because you have an ATAP cable does not give you the right to use efilive. It must be purchased for your atap cable to use (for more than 5 seconds).

So if you want to use efilive you gotta buy the software. They will ask for your serial # then sell you a key to activate it.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not trying to say I have the right to use the efilive software without paying for it. I don't know if I have to buy a new cable to go with their software.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I'm not trying to say I have the right to use the efilive software without paying for it. I don't know if I have to buy a new cable to go with their software.
Yeah really I'm not saying I have the right to use it without buying it but I do have a valid serial for EFI Live but I don't have a cable that will work with it. The cable got lost and I need a new one I was just asking where to get a new AutoTap cable without having to rebuy the stupid software.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

best to ask autotap folks. The dilemna is this:

What if you sold your efilive and autotap cable, how can you prove this didn't happen? Otherwise you could do just that, then buy a low cost cable and make $$?

I'm playing devils advocate as a software developer can you see what im coming at?

if the cable was broke that would be another thing, but they can't really invalidate the missing cable now can they?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samz28
best to ask autotap folks. The dilemna is this:

What if you sold your efilive and autotap cable, how can you prove this didn't happen? Otherwise you could do just that, then buy a low cost cable and make $$?

I'm playing devils advocate as a software developer can you see what im coming at?

if the cable was broke that would be another thing, but they can't really invalidate the missing cable now can they?
You're absolutely right but I myself am a Systems Analyst and I too appreciate copyrights. I did loose my cable whether you believe it or not I can not find it. I was just wondering where to buy another. No hard feelings but people do loose things.

Joe
Old 02-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Teching In

IT DEPENDS on if you want bidirectional control.

The old (obsolete) AT V1 interface does NOT provide BiDi, and is much slower, while the V2 interface does. The V2 interface does have a serial number ID tag and can also be read electronically.

You CAN buy replacement if you have proof of purchase from B&B, for either as they are the manufacturers of Autotap, and the distributors of EFILive in the USA. If you will see the respective websites/manuals, you will see a VIA cable listed, which is also a B&B product.

Also remember all the above is for the INTERFACE unit. The actual OBDII to serial and serial to serial cables are available from MANY sources. The "Autotap cable" is actually 3 parts.

As for "making a low cost cable" - if it was possible it would be done. The adaptor is a communication protocal convertor, an optical isolator interface, and some other components in there...

For the record, EFILIve is coming out with a new adaptor, in prep for their new Flash Scan program. See www.efilive.com for more details.

Last edited by emarkay; 02-21-2004 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Check this out. I had Autotap EFI LIVE5 Pro and i sold it off.. I copied the CD and the registration numbers, product numbers ect. and emailed autotap. Got a cable from them for 19.95 but it doesnt work.
It dont even look like the same cable as I had before.

They claim that is the ONLY cable they have.. Nonesence.. my autotap worked once before, now it doesnt because of this damned generic cable!

~Steve~
Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

yeah course i took apart mine when i got it. It's a small mcu , if you were hard up you could dump its code and steal it but they do deserve the $$ for the nice product. The V2 is fast i was really impressed with how much data it can log at once compared to other car products via obd-2.

my v2 connects at 115,200 baud.

Quick Reply: Need a cable for EFILive