Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros cons of removing maf

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pros cons of removing maf

can someone help me decide whether or not to tune my car to speed density? whats the difference and what are some draw back if any. im runnin the 98 ws6 in my sig, only this year i put on the ls3 top end with a 92mm throttle body.. and im stuck between buyin a bigger maf or just havin it tuned out. any advice would be great
Old 05-14-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i'm in your same position.!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mf vs Sd

I say dont over think it, almost like saying is chevy better than Ford depends on what you like, if you have your air fuel ratio down and tuning parameters where they need to be they both work great I have run my car both ways and happy either one. street I like Maf all out racing still running SD but doing maf tune right now and had before and ran same numbers. If tuned correctly you will be happy either way in my opinion SD tuning easier to do Maf takes a little more time for me.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did the SD tune do with changes in temperature.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
How did the SD tune do with changes in temperature.
So far so good, no real issue, cars driven to shows but mostly taken to track so outside temp are pretty stable lol I Like maf tuning better myself just my preferance especially for startup and my AFR seems more accurate at wot, but will see how cars runs on maf tune only at track verses the SD did that last year no real big change but alot of motor mods over winter so want to see any differance now with so many mods
Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM

whats easier to program for a newbie? MAF or not. dont know what to do with maf on street driven turbo LM7. any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should have my new 98mm FTP lid and silicone coupler in on monday and then get the FROST SD tune put on my Formula. I'm told that SD has snappier throttle response and I'm all about that. Will report results later....
Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Remember, there were lots of production cars that were stock speed density before the MAF set-up became popular. And even with their very primitive computers the cars ran excellent for that technology IMO. I would not fear the DD ability of a SD car tuned correctly.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A MAF tune is much easier to get right so stick with it as long as possible. Reasons to switch to SD are large cams, out flowing the MAF's range (>550rwhp), or making big boost. As others have said, a SD tune done right will run just as good as a MAF tune.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Between cold (25°F) and hot (90°F) days my WOT AFR swings ~.3-.4 points with a SD tune. The bigger problem isn't steady state, but heat soaks from sitting in traffic at idle or when restarting after the car sits for a short time period. In those times I'm leary of going WOT because it's so lean, but that's more a factor of the terrible temp sensor and not the tuning. Throttle resposne is definitely snappier/crisper SD, but the car smoother across more situations when tuned with the MAF.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So true ramair. For SD you have to tune for the leanest condition possible. That means summer heat, sitting in traffic, A/C on and both fans running. Then in the winter with no fans or A/C it runs rich on the summer tune but not too bad. Non idle ranges aren't impacted as much as near idle.