PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine break in. How do you tune without having miles on it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine break in. How do you tune without having miles on it?

Forgive my ignorance here, but I know nothing about tuning. And yes, I searched, but only found one relevant thread that didn't really have an answer.

My short block is currently getting rebuilt as a stock "refresh" job. Polished crank journal, new bearings, new pistons, etc.

But I'm planning on a heads/cam combo, which the stock tune obviously won't work too well.

Before you dyno tune it, I'm assuming you need to break it in. But how do you break it in if you don't have it tuned? Do you just get some "guesstimate" tune work done to allow some miles on it first?

Or do you just run the stock tune until its ready to dyno? I'm worried that an improper tune may cause damage to the engine.

I'm also pretty certain you just can't throw a fresh rebuild on the dyno either.

What does everyone do?

Thanks!!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
Do you just get some "guesstimate" tune work done to allow some miles on it first?
This.

Get the important things right on the break in tune like injector sizing, conservative timing, fairly rich PE... etc... before you drive it.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mr2guru
This.

Get the important things right on the break in tune like injector sizing, conservative timing, fairly rich PE... etc... before you drive it.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Looks like I'll have to get her tuned twice then.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask your tuner if they can give you a baseline tune to get some miles on the motor and then when your ready they can go in and fine tune it.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not crazy about breaking in a motor with no scanner hooked up to it. Ideally, you would want the tune to be pretty close, fuel wise, and timing. Then you'd start it and run it briefly, to check for leaks. Get it up to operating temp, make sure you have no air pockets in the cooling system, then run it and tune WHILE breaking it in.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I'm not crazy about breaking in a motor with no scanner hooked up to it. Ideally, you would want the tune to be pretty close, fuel wise, and timing. Then you'd start it and run it briefly, to check for leaks. Get it up to operating temp, make sure you have no air pockets in the cooling system, then run it and tune WHILE breaking it in.
+1, I tuned with HP tuners and a wide band while I was breaking my engine in.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
You can't beat that method.....very well put.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're smart about the tuning process, it shouldn't be bad for break-in at all. I usually tune part throttle and light loads first. This puts the engine at slightly elevated speeds and under vacuum, which exactly where most engine builders like having their rings and cams broken in at. Doing this will get most of the ring seal done in about 15-20 minutes (or less) once everything is up to temp.

The other nice thing is that engines "want to run" at part throttle and are far less likely to load up and stall than they are at idle, or far less likely to break from stress like they would be at WOT. This gives the tuner a good opportunity to learn a lot about the new VE surface that goes along with the new heads/cam/intake/exhaust/displacement/whatever without putting the engine at much risk. It also lets the tuner slide through many of the cells in the MAF table in steady state so that he can get a good idea of what the curve should look like if he's dealing with a new MAF placement, cold air kit, or new physical sensor. A lot of what you learn about engine performance at part throttle can be carried down to idle and up to WOT after the engine is more broken in.

Quick Reply: Engine break in. How do you tune without having miles on it?