PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a tune needed just from switching from 241's to 243's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a tune needed just from switching from 241's to 243's?

The only thing I'm changing is going from a set of 241 heads to 243's and I have a speed density tune right now. Will I need to get a tune for these before I run them or will I be safe for now and just not get the full potential? Also will I need to tune it every time I upgrade something with speed density just to see a difference?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

To be safe and also to get the most out of any mod you should get a re-tune after you change anything that could effect the way the runs, intake, heads, cam, headers, etc..
Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Running SD I would definitely have the a/f checked.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

My first question is why are you switching? Did you damage the old heads? Why don't you get them ported before you put them on and then Yes have it tuned. Either way check your af just to be safe.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Smile

Originally Posted by fireburr
The only thing I'm changing is going from a set of 241 heads to 243's and I have a speed density tune right now. Will I need to get a tune for these before I run them or will I be safe for now and just not get the full potential? Also will I need to tune it every time I upgrade something with speed density just to see a difference?
If your last tune was set on the rich side,

It should be okay.

If it starts to run too weak it'll throw a code (Fuel Trims Lean) if it goes too far out of whack.

You will need to scan it sometime soon to check though.
as the VE table ideally needs to be looked at again.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
My first question is why are you switching? Did you damage the old heads? Why don't you get them ported before you put them on and then Yes have it tuned. Either way check your af just to be safe.
I'm switching cuz I got a good deal on these heads for a lil more performance and I'm having engine troubles right now and I'm going to pull the heads anyways. I'm just putting these on right now just to drive my car the rest of the year and then this winter pull the motor and build a forged motor. I just didn't want to pay for another tune if I didn't have to.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid447
If your last tune was set on the rich side,

It should be okay.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by minytrker

The info that Sid provided does make sense - if the old tune was rich, upping the static compression and increasing the airflow (as 243s do over 241s) might be okay.

He then goes on to say that it should be scanned and the VE table will need to be looked at.

People get away with no tune after changing entire exhaust / intake systems, so it is feasible that this bloke could get away with the same tune, but it is not recommended.

I wouldn't do it this way, but the OP doesn't seem to pre-disposed to outlaying for a re-tune.

cheers