PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to modify cranking advance in HP Tuners??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How to modify cranking advance in HP Tuners??

Been having a nightmare with this Turbo E85 car..wont start when warm. My cranking timing is 6 degrees. How do I increase this? I do not see a table. Any tricks?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Im not sure if this is a stupid question or no one really knows the answer???
Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your high and low octane tables go down to 400 rpm. Is that rpm range low enough?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Your high and low octane tables go down to 400 rpm. Is that rpm range low enough?
I have them both set at 19 degrees. When its cranking its only seeing 6. If it fires it shoots up, but I dont think these tables have any thing to do with cranking.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need the beta version send in a request to support@hptuners.com with your serial number and ask for the beta. it has the table you requested just like bill said on there forum.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
you need the beta version send in a request to support@hptuners.com with your serial number and ask for the beta. it has the table you requested just like bill said on there forum.
I have the serial interface that is no longer supported by HP Tuners.. they tell me to basically F%$K off and buy a new version. Which I think is BS when I baught this one, and the additional 2-bar operating system. I dont really feel like buying all of this again.
I was just curious if anything else in there could add additional cranking timing, or trick it into not pulling as much out for cranking.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar with HP-T,

In EFI-L there are a couple of tables to sort this out.
Spark Timing When Cranking (which I assume you don't have)
and Minimum Spark Advance (?) .....adjusting this should do what you want.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sid447
and Minimum Spark Advance (?) .....adjusting this should do what you want.
nope. nothing changes the cranking timing.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Yup, there is a cranking timing table in the later versions and the newer software doesn't work with the ancient serial cable. A long time ago they told everybody of the upgrade plan in place and that the newer software would not work with the old serial cable and gave the cheap option to trade in the old for the new since it was the only way to keep getting updates.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HP Tuners said the serial cable would continue to get software updates. There is just no beta for serial cables. If they ever have a new public release serial cable users should get an update. Unfortunately there has not been one in over 3 years.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NicD
Yup, there is a cranking timing table in the later versions and the newer software doesn't work with the ancient serial cable. A long time ago they told everybody of the upgrade plan in place and that the newer software would not work with the old serial cable and gave the cheap option to trade in the old for the new since it was the only way to keep getting updates.
Originally Posted by 2xLS1
HP Tuners said the serial cable would continue to get software updates. There is just no beta for serial cables. If they ever have a new public release serial cable users should get an update. Unfortunately there has not been one in over 3 years.
Ya... they want to your $$$$. And if you want beta or a cranking timing table you need to buy a new version.

I cant afford to trade it in because then I wouldnt be able to do all my vehicles and then all my friends also without buying a bunch of credits. They whole turning them in sounds like a big scam. The less of them out floating around the more money they can make off us.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, we might be screwed by HP Tuners again now. If you now go back and look at their announcement discontinuing support of the serial cable, it was edited by Bill 0n 5-13-2011 to change their statement of continued software updates for serial cable users by adding the words "at least for a short time" Those words were not in their original announcement. I have that original anouncement archived. Those words were not in it.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20274
Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MPVI software is completely different from the serial interface software, they are not compatible with each other. We will not be supporting the serial interfaces, software wise, forever, simple as that as the upkeep is simply not worth it for a piece of hardware we haven't produced since 2005? We offered pwrtrip75 a discount on a new mpvi interface even though we haven't done upgrades on these since 2009 and as far as I know he has refused the offer. I've tried to go out of my way to help in offering a solution but unfortunately providing betas for serial interfaces is not a possibility.

-Bill
Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Ya... they want to your $$$$. And if you want beta or a cranking timing table you need to buy a new version.

I cant afford to trade it in because then I wouldnt be able to do all my vehicles and then all my friends also without buying a bunch of credits. They whole turning them in sounds like a big scam. The less of them out floating around the more money they can make off us.
You bought a piece of used hardware that takes a ton of effort for us to support, yes we don't want any of them out there if we can help it. The hardware is obsolete and the software is not compatible with the new hardware so upkeep for these takes too much time away from design & engineering. We offered a discount to you some 2+ years after trade in's were stopped, we did all we can do without taking time away from key areas of resources. Some people like 2xLS1 I think use the old serial interfaces so they can grab binaries, I assume, others for the pricing. We offered a fair trade up to the mpvi for several YEARS, for those still out there we try to offer a fair discount off a new mpvi. Sorry but we are not giving away the hardware for free, if that makes us scam artists in your eyes
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

HP Tuners statement about continuing to offer software updates had much to do with my decision to keep using it. After all I have $5000 invested in that cable, It has always worked flawlessly at a time when there were a lot of reliability issues with the MPVI. Has nothing to do with grabbing binaries as you stated. I have TC OBD2 if I want to do that. I have a MPVI cable too. All I want is to be able to open and edit files that I have licenses on it that have been saved with 2.23+ versions. Your companies original statement of disconuing support made a point to say software upgrades for it would continue.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 10-27-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
HP Tuners statement about continuing to offer software updates had much to do with my decision to keep using it. After all I have $5000 invested in that cable, It has always worked flawlessly at a time when there were a lot of reliability issues with the MPVI.
This really doesn't make any sense in my opinion, lets say that interface does fail in a year or 2 or 3 they no longer make parts for them and you can no longer upgrade so that $5000 invested would go down the drain.

In reality there only a few of these interfaces still left out there, and I have one of the earliest made MPVI's and I use it every day and have not had any issues with it, we are currently running at about a .2% failure rate on these and most of those are just worn out usb connections or blown mux chips from seeing a power surge so reliability has never been an issue and I'm the one thats been tracking this since 2007 so thats certainly not something thats ever been a problem.

-Bill
Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

My MPVI has been sent in for repair once and continues to this day to crash and lock up the scanner software. Something the serial cable never does. The point is your announcement on discontinuing serial cable support was very specific on what support would be discontinued and what support would be continued.There was no ambiguity in what was announced. Continued software upgrade support was to be continued. It was clearly stated separately in the announcement prior to your editing it in May, 2011.

Quick Reply: How to modify cranking advance in HP Tuners??