Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech2 questions

Anyone out there bought a Tech2 from eBay?

I get tired of dealing with these worthless dealers and mechanics and would love to have this software so I can just diagnose my own cars and decide then if I want to actually go to the dealer.

I have a friend that works for SPX in cali, and he says the eBay Tech2's are made in china and cause more problems then they solve. That being said one of our vendors on here, fran, told me he has used them and they work great.

Guess I'm just curious. Or heck does anyone have one they want to sell that does work?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't buy the Ebay junk. If you get one and it's a piece of crap, what will you do then? No one to send it back to, no one to warranty it.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Don't buy the Ebay junk. If you get one and it's a piece of crap, what will you do then? No one to send it back to, no one to warranty it.
yeah kinda what I figured.

But was just curious is all.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and no way to update it
Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by flame
and no way to update it
they can't be updated online?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

You can't get anything unless you have a GM Dealer world account. If you know a Tech, they might be able to do it for you...but I think they now have to register each Tech 2 with Dealer world and if it does not match what GM sent, you might be out of luck.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFI does a nice job on the engine side and is a good scan tool for the money.

If only they did chassis, body, restraints

Hint Hint
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sreve
EFI does a nice job on the engine side and is a good scan tool for the money.

If only they did chassis, body, restraints

Hint Hint
already have HPtuners, not sure I wanna buy efilive too..
Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another do not buy the China clones off of ebay. And as cheap as they are, unless you get a real one VERY cheap, you are probably better to just buy a new one.

Used ones can have alot of VCI module problems and you go spend the dollars for a new VCI, then maybe a new cable, etc etc... you are getting closer to spending the money for a new one.

Also if you need a Candi module I have an extra brand new one still in the box.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't be worth it to buy a Tech2 because they are becoming ancient technology. GM is finally catching up to other manufacturers by moving to laptops and wireless technology to diagnose/update vehicles. They are very expensive to fix and you won't get the same software found at the dealerships. The dealerships pay a lot of money for that software so finding a technician to update it will be very hard. I updated one for a friend of mine but as soon as the Candi Module became a requirement to read cars he was **** out of luck.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

i have tech 2 from bosch man this thing i love it but with TIS u gotta subcribe $$ i work for an electric shop so i need this tool come in handy dont buy cheap china **** it junk my co-worker got one all it does was read when ever it want too can't send it back either china man wont take it back.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
It wouldn't be worth it to buy a Tech2 because they are becoming ancient technology. GM is finally catching up to other manufacturers by moving to laptops and wireless technology to diagnose/update vehicles. They are very expensive to fix and you won't get the same software found at the dealerships. The dealerships pay a lot of money for that software so finding a technician to update it will be very hard. I updated one for a friend of mine but as soon as the Candi Module became a requirement to read cars he was **** out of luck.
It is far from being ancient and mine has the same software in it as the two local dealerships have. There are still millions of vehicles on the road the Tech 2 will take care of. And even with the MDI, if the Tech 2 will do it i will still use it every time instead of dragging a laptop around on a test drive.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DynoDR
It is far from being ancient and mine has the same software in it as the two local dealerships have. There are still millions of vehicles on the road the Tech 2 will take care of. And even with the MDI, if the Tech 2 will do it i will still use it every time instead of dragging a laptop around on a test drive.
Exactly. MDI for 2010s and up, other than that, Tech2.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Launching!

The Tech2 also can program the body control modules, right?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris10an
The Tech2 also can program the body control modules, right?
yes. it did everything program/scan tool related until the new platform cars came out

the tech 2 was one of the best if not the best user friendly scan tools not to mention it was factory based so it did more.

the new global diagnostic "lap top" IMOP is not very user friendly I was one of the pilot classes for GM on this. I will say its much better than ford/ mazda GDS
Old 10-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
yes. it did everything program/scan tool related until the new platform cars came out

the tech 2 was one of the best if not the best user friendly scan tools not to mention it was factory based so it did more.

the new global diagnostic "lap top" IMOP is not very user friendly I was one of the pilot classes for GM on this. I will say its much better than ford/ mazda GDS
Agreed!

TECH2 is THE best factory scan tool. Hands down. Easy to use, understand and the amount of diagnostic capability you have in your hands for the money is unrivaled.
Add a DVOM and the right brain and you have an unstoppable diagnostic team.

The new GDS2 software is better but the TECH2 will be the mainstay for a long time because it covers so many applications.

If you get one with the latest software, you wont have to update it anymore, since GM put out their last new TECH2 software update this year and said they weren't going to update it again.

Get one with a Candi module, make sure the cable is new as the cables cause connection issues and make sure its a REAL SPX one, not a China one.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Domsz06
Anyone out there bought a Tech2 from eBay?
I did but it was about 6 years ago, before all the clones started hitting the market. Still works great too. I would be afraid to buy one there now, sooo many clones.
I get tired of dealing with these worthless dealers and mechanics and would love to have this software so I can just diagnose my own cars and decide then if I want to actually go to the dealer.

I have a friend that works for SPX in cali, and he says the eBay Tech2's are made in china and cause more problems then they solve. That being said one of our vendors on here, fran, told me he has used them and they work great.
I have heard some work great, some not so great. Its a dice roll buying one IMO. Everything seems to be made in china anymore, its the new global economy standard.

Originally Posted by DMM
You can't get anything unless you have a GM Dealer world account. If you know a Tech, they might be able to do it for you...but I think they now have to register each Tech 2 with Dealer world and if it does not match what GM sent, you might be out of luck.
That cant be true. I never had to register mine, just downloaded the software update from TIS2 web. If you know a tech, shouldnt be a problem getting an update for it.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Mee too, a Chineese clone but works great but can't touch the PCM with a Tech 2 and i prefer HpTuners for that
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DON'T buy a Chinese Tech II. There is a reason they are half the price of a real Tech II. I heard of one guy who bought one and he couldn't program anything and half the diagnostics weren't working.

The BEST thing you can do is buy a used one from Ebay that is a genuine Tech II. My dad is a dealer tech up here in Michigan and had a coworker of his quit the dealer and bought a used Tech II from a dealer that closed up here and he only paid $1500 for it, and it included the Candi Module and MDI module I believe...

What I'm wondering is how much the new software is for scanning 2011 cars and newer? Like, can I get that software and load it on my laptop and run diagnostics?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
What I'm wondering is how much the new software is for scanning 2011 cars and newer? Like, can I get that software and load it on my laptop and run diagnostics?
No. You have to have some sort of interface.

Quick Reply: Tech2 questions