Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holley HP EFI short install, and a little how to

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holley HP EFI short install, and a little how to

i installed the system a few weeks, ago and it worked out to pretty sweet.

the box it came in

pulled the camaro's harness out of the miata

he new system. it's just a file img. i was so excited to get it i didn't take a picture until i had it installed. mind you after i had the old harness out it was about 20 mints till the new one was in.

you can see the system removes the MAF sensor. it tunes usng the map. with the removal if that sensor and the general smaller size of the new kit the miata lost 15lbs.

i anchored the ecu down as close to the battery as i could. personally i think it looks sweet there. i didn't want to hide it under the dash.

after in installed the little ls1 powered miata gained a few hp but the mpg went from 23 to 33mpg. And the self tuning is bad ***! it makes everything a bolt on. i'm waiting for a call from texas speed about a set of heads

i looked high and low for the ls1 knock sensor frequency, ive seen allot of topics looking for it with no real answer. here it is it's 6khz

i left allot of how to set up the system on my web sight. i figured everyone would get bored reading threw an instruction book,

Nine Lives Racing JohnnyCichowski.com
Old 12-03-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Oh so it's not as much a pain in the *** i imagined, but what made switch from stock pcm?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black-sinner
Oh so it's not as much a pain in the *** i imagined, but what made switch from stock pcm?
it really isn't that hard. I was surprised while duing the install. it was less then an hour from stock pcm out- to car starting.

there are allot of reasons why i switched. the ease of upgrading is probably the biggest. my little miata is going to have allot of parts thrown at it. headers, intakes, restricter plates, ect.. and going to a dyno after every part will cost me an arm and a leg. the HP EFI is going to save me a ton of $$.

for racing... track conditions change allot from event to event and i need to have my car running the best it can all the time. with out the Holley EFI: unless i have my tuner at the track with me i'm screwed!

it's ligher too. an important thing for racing. i think i listed a thousand reasons on my websight. i'm just bummed it's cold/snowy out and i cant drive my car.. after the ecu swap it's the most fuel efficient car i own
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Launching!

I am using the Holley hp on my rx7 and BMW with ls swap. I like the Holley system much better than factory system. Love having self learn and WB02. #1 reason for me was racing at tracks with different conditions and altitude, my tune is always perfect.

Let me know if you need a file for your engine.

Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

That's awesome! I'm thinking of doing a pump gas/racing fuel system on my turbo camaro, will this system be able to hold two tunes? (gas tune, racing tune)
And will i be able to switch between them easily?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuning of a VE table is completed as a noob with 8th grade reading comprehension in 15min. using the below...

Hp Tuners Pro $650

NGK AFX wideband with NTK sensor $250

"The Tuning School.com" Learn to Tune at Home Beginners Guide written for Hp Tuners $450

"The Tuning School.com" Learn to Tune at Home Advanced Guide written for Hp Tuners $480

Total: $1,830.

vs.

$1,500 for Holley EFI HP

+$250 for a wideband

Total: $1750.

I would rather have the knowledge, control, and understanding of the "how-what-why" my tuning results are occurring.

Last edited by 2TR; 12-07-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Downloaded and installed the software for the Holley EFI HP system off their website.

Then read thru the instructions in the HELP menu...

If you can actually get someone who wants EASY to read thru it all you could actually acquire an intro to how EFI systems and Speed Density tuning works.

I'm still not sold.

To each his own.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting! Thank you for the udate! BTW, thanks for the link. I read it. I have seen a lot info on the Holley EFI systems and it has many pros. It does have controls for fans and AC stuff too correct?

Last edited by seadoo; 12-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the 2 wire non resonant knock sensors... are not just generically a frequency of 6k... it is dependent on bore size...
the 1 wire resonant knock sensors are a fixed value for all engine sizes and the frequency is determined by the knock sensor itself...

an excellent article that anybody can use to get on the right path with knock sensors
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/249317/

Last edited by soundengineer; 12-09-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by seadoo
Interesting! Thank you for the udate! BTW, thanks for the link. I read it. I have seen a lot info on the Holley EFI systems and it has many pros. It does have controls for fans and AC stuff too correct?

it controls Fans...uses either a ground, or a Hot....our fbody cars use a ground to activate and the relay is hot all the time.

AC is still controlled with the stock dash controls...
all you really need to do is to run a wire from the dash controls +12 signal for AC engagement out to the the wire on the compressor itself to engage the clutch...
other than that...nothing is needed...
if you want to get a little more complicated, a little safer, and a little more like stock..you could wire up the pressure switch to the holley, and have the holley output the +12v when the pressure is below a set pressure... and that can be your pressure safety switch.
you would then take the +12 from the Dash ***** over to teh holley first to activate the circuit.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:44 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Can you use this for forced induction like a turbo? Will it control an automatic transmission like a 4L80E?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
8 Second Club

^^^^

Yes.. up to 5bar

and yes.. 4l80 and 4l60 control integrated in with it on the Dominator Box.. The HP box does not have the provisioning for transmission control.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the great info,I got mine installed and will be firing it up this weekend!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Hey
Im looking for more tuning info for the hp. They have some forums for holley hp where you can ask questions, but it is not a self tutorial, where are you guys learning about their stuff on tuning with their software.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

http://forums.holley.com/forumdisplay.php?49-HP

I guess my questions are for hooking up the stock camaro fans with a negative ground. I guess I need a step through for how to configure them both. If I have 2 relays which wire will go to fan and which wire goes to the holley ecu

Would the number 87 be going to red wire for fan and then ground the black wire. Currently my ls1 factory harness modified by current performance has built in relays.

Last edited by 72Elkytpi; 12-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 PM
8 Second Club

tuning is not self explanatory... If it was... everybody would do it themselves...

you learn from reading and research, and possibly paying somebody to teach you how to tune..

figure out your specific issues that you want to solve...start using google to research...
read the forums of tuning software companies....HP Tuners/EFI Live/Tunercats/etc
they may not be the software you are using, but the same basic principal applies.

again... there is no self tutorial....
and it is not easy to tune properly...

I personally dont give out a lot of higher level tuning info, because I have over 15 years of EFI tuning Experience... I charge for my time and my info as do many others
Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Steve Morris, has a Holley tuning video,and some other tuning videos on his site.

I talk to him every year at DragWeek, he always has some of the baddest cars there, and has helped me with some tuning problems in the past.

http://www.stevemorrisengines.com/st...y-efi-dvd.html

Check them out, at his site. He is usually pretty helpful.

http://www.stevemorrisengines.com/
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by be good
after in installed the little ls1 powered miata gained a few hp but the mpg went from 23 to 33mpg.
I looked at your website, and that's a giant jump in gas mileage from some minor changes in fueling.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks atomic 6, I bought a DVD from Morris and he is explaining the tables and has some great advice like reading the plugs to know if your tuning it correctly.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

So what's the benefits from getting the hp tuners and tuning your stock PCM?

Quick Reply: holley HP EFI short install, and a little how to