Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuner credits..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP tuner credits..

How do the credits work? I had my car tuned and bought the two credits. Can anyone with hp tuners tune my car now without having to buy the credits again or is it only unlocked for the tuner I bought the credits with?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car was tuned before i bought hptuners and when i hooked up my hptuners i had to use credits
kinda dumb you think they would make the program so your not wasting money , they already charge a **** ton for the program and credits
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

wow thats a rip. So i will have to buy credits again unless i have the same tuner tune it again.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The credits are in the cable. Same cable = same credits. Use a different cable, then you need credits for that cable. Laptop, program, and all other details are irrelevant.
The following users liked this post:
1hotroc (09-15-2022)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Credits are licenced to your Module when you buy the program. Whoever tunes the car is the current one that can tune the PCM, if you buy HP Tuners and want to do it yourself then you will pay for credits.
I bought mine used with no credits, so I contacted HP Tuners and told them my Serial Number and got my current Application Key to my Module. Then started buying my credits I needed.

In your case I would look into seeing if you can get that PCM Vin # transferred to your Module..if you can prove that you bought the credits then that is the way I can see it working.

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
my car was tuned before i bought hptuners and when i hooked up my hptuners i had to use credits
kinda dumb you think they would make the program so your not wasting money , they already charge a **** ton for the program and credits
That one just comes with the territory man..you bought the car from someone else..the OP is kinda in a different situation.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

I thought it was the vin that was unlocked not just the software the tuner is using for the car. Oh well not a big deal just was wondering.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

The PCM is unlocked to that Module of the person tuning it.

The one I had bought has all 04 GTO's unlocked..I couldnt do anything with it so I contacted HP Tuners, got the Module registered to me, and it's all transferred for my use.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv

That one just comes with the territory man..you bought the car from someone else..the OP is kinda in a different situation.
I'm not sure what you mean by this but I had my car professionaly tuned twice , payed for the credits twice and after being unsatisfied with both tuners I bought HP tuners myself and had to use more credits
So I'm down 450$ in credits alone in one car
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All tuning companies do the same, I don't see the problem.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap, credits are purchased through each cable that tunes your car, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a handheld that has the license, and have any shop be able to tune your handheld device, cheaper than the $450 on credits for 1 car,

Ryan
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure what you mean by this but I had my car professionaly tuned twice , payed for the credits twice and after being unsatisfied with both tuners I bought HP tuners myself and had to use more credits
Refer to this part..
In your case I would look into seeing if you can get that PCM Vin # transferred to your Module..if you can prove that you bought the credits then that is the way I can see it working.

I really dont understand why you guys are saying cable..I assure you the cable doesnt hold your Vin info...
Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I guess this is just how they squeeze every last dime out of you. Lmao You'd think that it'd be a one time fee to unlock the vin but I guess that only applies to that one tuner kinda sucks but can't do anything about it.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

I really dont understand why you guys are saying cable..I assure you the cable doesnt hold your Vin info...
Of course it does.
It's not a simple USB cable, it's an interface Box. One side connects to a USB port and the other to OBDII port. It's called "cable" for simplicity.
Every interface box has a serial number and the credits are encrypted with that serial number.
You can't transfer 1 car's license from one interface to another.

As I said, every tuning-software brand does the same with licenses. There is not a "online database" which stores all licensed VINs for worldwide access. It's a "simple" proccess of storing the licenses you buy into your interface cable.

They don't even know which VINs you have a license for. They sell you a credit and you use it to license any VIN you want. It's stored into your interface and that's it.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

I still call it the Module..the cable is the black thing..
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so lets say my friend has hp tuners, I can't tune my car with it if he already tune his car for it?? sorry op for the hijack
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Yea you can..you can tune all you want, just have to pay the $100 per vehicle, unless you buy the whole year.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

I still call it the Module..the cable is the black thing..
I just read your post again and understood what you meant
Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Banned

when they say module,cable, they mean the interface.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned

they already charge a **** ton for the program and credits
No, they don't. Compared to other tuning solutions, they're the cheapest out there. When you consider the cost of tuning other types of cars, they're ridiculously cheap. Be thankful you're not tuning a Euro car.

Regardless of "paying for credits" you were paying others to tune your car. People ask me all the time about "paying for credits". Doesn't matter. The price is what it is. I don't charge more or less because I have to license a car. The ones I have unlimited, I make a little more profit. The ones I have to license, I make a little less.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (06-29-2020)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Wink

Not to split hairs, but that doesn't add up, unless you got overcharged for the VIN licenses, of course. It is 2 credits to license your VIN. $49 per credit. Even if you bought your HPTuners used and needed to buy those 2 credits, it's still would only add up to $294 (3 tunes from 3 different interfaces = 6 credits bought)

Like edcmat-l1 said above, HPTuners is still the best bang for the buck tuning solution out there, bar none. I have a handful of unlimited year licenses, but if someone wants me to do any tuning, regardless if theirs is one of those years, they're still paying for 2 credits no matter what.

Quick Reply: HP tuner credits..