Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tune for 5.3L + T56

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to tune for 5.3L + T56

Hey guys. I am working on a swapped car running a 5.3L (L33) with a T56. I am trying to get it tuned with HPTuners. It is a bit tricky since 5.3L vehicles only came equipped with an AT. I am trying to put together a "hybrid" tune because the car is running a 5.3L with a complete LS1 intake and a T56. Does anyone have any advice for me? Can anyone post up a tune that is working for a 5.3L and a T56?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

get rid of tq management, and shut off any codes that come up related to the auto.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Good point. Should have mentioned I am starting with a MT tune
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see the problem... If you are starting with a manual tune that is compatable with the PCM, just tune the engine segment.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I don't see the problem... If you are starting with a manual tune that is compatable with the PCM, just tune the engine segment.
You cant do a segment swap with HPT like with EFI Live, you have to email them and they will do it.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by minytrker
You cant do a segment swap with HPT like with EFI Live, you have to email them and they will do it.
Can you explain this a little further? I have not heard of a segment swap before.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by minytrker
Didn't mean to do a segment swap - just tune the engine portion (for lack of better words) since trans is taken car of in the base tune...

You need to use the correct injector tables to match the injectors/fuel system that you have, and then just tune the MAF and VE with a wideband as normal. As for spark, depends on what mods and fuel you have... stock 5.3 tables would be a good start...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Didn't mean to do a segment swap - just tune the engine portion (for lack of better words) since trans is taken car of in the base tune...

You need to use the correct injector tables to match the injectors/fuel system that you have, and then just tune the MAF and VE with a wideband as normal. As for spark, depends on what mods and fuel you have... stock 5.3 tables would be a good start...
Ah OK. Yes, that's basically what I've done. I started with the 6-speed Fbody tune and adjusted the as many of the tables that I felt would better match the 5.3L data vs. the 5.7L data. Some of the values that I have changed to 5.3L values are: cylinder volume, idle airflow, VE, spark tables, etc. The difficult part is that there are so many tables that I am not familiar with that it's difficult to decide which values to poulate them with... E.G. L33 values, LS1 values, cable-driven LM7 values, etc.

I have attached the tune that I currently have put together, it gets it to start with no problems but making the car move or respond well to throttle inputs is not happening .
Old 08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Did you use the MAF table that matches the MAF in the vehicle? Also, what type of fuel pressure regulator do you have - vacuum referenced, or not?

I don't have HPTuners, but others may be able to look at it and help - it isn't attached...
Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Did you use the MAF table that matches the MAF in the vehicle? Also, what type of fuel pressure regulator do you have - vacuum referenced, or not?

I don't have HPTuners, but others may be able to look at it and help - it isn't attached...
I was planning on running speed density open-loop for beginners so there is no MAF on the car right now. The car is running a non-vacuum referenced corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter combo. I am going to have to post up the tune later, I forgot that I am on my work computer lol.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattster03
I was planning on running speed density open-loop for beginners ....
No real reason to do that, IMHO. SD, sure..to start dialing in the VE. OL, why? Just log fuel trims in SD to help get you're VE Closer.

Or, if ya wanna.... dial in the MAF first by forcing the PCM to rely on the MAF only....then compare to your WB02 readings vs commanded AFR to determine how far off your MAF is....then adjust the curve as needed.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by salemetro
No real reason to do that, IMHO. SD, sure..to start dialing in the VE. OL, why? Just log fuel trims in SD to help get you're VE Closer.

Or, if ya wanna.... dial in the MAF first by forcing the PCM to rely on the MAF only....then compare to your WB02 readings vs commanded AFR to determine how far off your MAF is....then adjust the curve as needed.
Good point. I guess the deep down reason is that I really only have experience doing SD tuning at this point in my learning. I will try adding the MAF tonight and see if that helps or hurts the situation. Should be the 5.3L MAF table, correct?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattster03
Good point. I guess the deep down reason is that I really only have experience doing SD tuning at this point in my learning. I will try adding the MAF tonight and see if that helps or hurts the situation. Should be the 5.3L MAF table, correct?
It's not a matter of adding the MAF per se. You want tune tune the MAF independently of VE, and the VE independently of the MAF. Once they are both dialed in accurately, you can re-enable both. Usually, MAF is quicker to tune...so some prefer to do it first.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Personally, I tune the VE first - in open loop using a wideband. Then, I disable the VE, I bring the MAF back on line and tune that table using the wideband...

For a base MAF table, you want to use the one that matches the MAF you are using - so, if you got the actual MAF from the 5.3, then use that table. It is only going to be a starting point anyway, because you will want to fully tune that table using the wideband.

Where did you get your injector tables? If you are using tables from a truck that has a vacuum referenced regulator, that is your problem... With the regulator you have, and the LS1 fuel rails you need an injector table for a non-referenced setup. Is your injector flowrate table flat (all one number) or sloped?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally, I tune the VE first - in open loop using a wideband. Then, I disable the VE, I bring the MAF back on line and tune that table using the wideband...

For a base MAF table, you want to use the one that matches the MAF you are using - so, if you got the actual MAF from the 5.3, then use that table. It is only going to be a starting point anyway, because you will want to fully tune that table using the wideband.
Solid advice, BLK02WS6

To the OP.... As you can see, there's more than one way to arrive at the same result. The key here being to tune the VE and MAF tables independently of each other. The ONLY potential drawback that I can see with tuning in OL, is that you don't have a "safety buffer" of the fuel trims (usually) to compensate for really big spikes in AFR while logging.....usually no big deal if you're using common sense and not getting impatient while working the tables, IMHO.

Quick Reply: How to tune for 5.3L + T56